Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,627,289 times

Advertisements

An interesting article on this subject:
Teenagers Delay Getting Their Driver's Licenses - ParentDish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,478,019 times
I live in a pretty decent size city. My daughter did not drive until she was 22 and i thought that was bad. She could not live now without her car, and she has more independence this way also. She would not get on a bus, at all, your lucky that way. I still feel though that in this day and age, it can not hurt to know how to drive. I have know people in their 40's that have to rely on someone else to get them where they are going, or public transpation. And they now wish more then ever, that they would of learned how to drive. My daughter drives, and i have no headaches at all. No worries at all. Your daughter might have phobias about driving, hopefully when she is ready, she will drive. And if she doesn't then it is just not important to her, nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,701,317 times
We have a young friend who is 19. She lives out in the country; works part time and goes to college full time. She has no license and rides her bike everywhere she goes.

The problem is your daughter's, not yours. She has made a choice. She is of age. I wouldn't be a taxi service for her, and I wouldn't let it bother me.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,743,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
An interesting article on this subject:
Teenagers Delay Getting Their Driver's Licenses - ParentDish
Thanks so much for sharing that. The article brings up another point there...and that's the higher cost of insurance, due to a younger child. Where do you weigh the cost ....give kid a ride.....pay for car, insurance, extra gas in their car (unless they have a job)...lose valuable time with your child. Kids grow up fast enough.... why people push it is beyond me!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 6,458,590 times
I didn't get my licence until about 20. We had to take a drivers ed class in high school, this was back in the 60's, and they made us watch a horrific movie, I think it was called Mechanized Death, with actual accidents, mangled bodies, children, people moaning as they were dying, just overwheming. One kid even fainted at his desk.
Although most kids forgot about it I always worried if I would cause an accident if I drove, so I wasn't interested. I didn't need to drive at the time, I had my parents, my boyfriend, and I rode the bus to school.
Later I did get a license, needed to drive to college, to a job, bought a car. It just took a while longer than most people.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,499,180 times
I too, did not get my license until I was about 20. I did take my road test when I was 17, failed it, and just never had any interest after that point for quite a while. It may have been some frustration, but I think it was mainly because I was afraid honestly.
I just didn't want to get in the car, I was never even a good passenger in a car and still am not to this date.
I finally realized that I had to have it while finishing college, going to work,etc... it just took me longer to get it.
I still don't enjoy driving at all, but, I would rather be the driver than the passenger.

My parents never really pushed me at all, they just felt I wasn't ready and that seemed to be fine with them. I did ride my bike alot but didn't mind that either.....
My parents never said they wouldn't take me here or there, but I don't think I expected them to either.
I use to joke because one of my younger sister's had her license before I did!
Oh well.
I am sure that your daughter will get hers when she is ready and it isn't that big of a deal....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting