Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,845 times

Advertisements

Yeah it's pretty natural. My first son would not leave his alone between the ages of 3 & 4. Heck for all I know he still won't leave it alone, but we did let him know that it was inappropriate to do in front of other people. Second son is/was not so interested in his except when he gets an erection, then he wonders why it does that but is not interested in trying to get it that way again. He's 4 BTW. Our third (age 2) is going to be like our first I think, any time he is naked that's right where his hands go.

Nothing to make a big deal out of, but they do need to be reminded not to do it where everyone can see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
my boys are 4 and 6 and this is my experience so far too. My question is, when does it ACTUALLY become sexual, not just preschool curiosity? If they get erections this young, do they just keep getting them, or do they stop then start again when the hormones kick in?

The only part I can answer is, they keep getting them. When it actually becomes sexual would vary from kid to kid I suppose. Any sort of contact or breeze for that matter can cause an erection, it does not have to be pleasurable contact directly to the penis in order for there to be one.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I smiled and said something along the lines that sometimes boys' pee-pees get big.
same here.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
Quote:
my boys are 4 and 6 and this is my experience so far too. My question is, when does it ACTUALLY become sexual, not just preschool curiosity? If they get erections this young, do they just keep getting them, or do they stop then start again when the hormones kick in?
Erections due to sexual arousal will occur at puberty. Nocturnal emissions (i.e., wet dreams) usually begin sometime after age 11, depending on the child's maturation rate. Younger boys will continue to experience erections throughout childhood. Erections are most obvious upon awakening when they need to empty their bladders. Teach your boys to push their penises downward when peeing to avoid over-spray onto the toilet lid and floor. Also, give them responsibility for cleaning the bathroom as soon as possible! They're more likely to pay attention if they know they'll have to clean up any mess resulting from poor aim.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
My son I think was born with his hand on his penis it is completely normal. I just tell my son, that is something to be done in private. After a few requests he finally got the message.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Just saw this thread. Boys and their penises. Wow. always amazed me that they weren't hurting themselves.

Quote:
They just keep getting them. The sexual stuff starts with puberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My son I think was born with his hand on his penis it is completely normal. I just tell my son, that is something to be done in private. After a few requests he finally got the message.
I recall mine touching his as a baby in the bathtub. I didn't want to send a message that it was bad. It was all I could do to hold back the urge to move the hand away. LOL

Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is pretty much my experience. Somewhere between 3 and 4 boys discover themselves. It's not really sexual at that age, it's just interesting to them.
I agree. Just another curiousity for them. Nothing to worry about unless they start doing it in public.

Funny, I have an ultrasound picture of my son holding his private's. The nurse said "yep, he's a boy".

My son is now 5 and sometimes sleeps with his hands down his PJ's. Not sure why unless he is just trying to keep his hands warm. Sometimes I will check on him after he goes to bed and pull his hands out of his pants so he doesn't end up scrathcing or injuring something (I am a guy so I am sensitive to these things!). But his hands pop right back into his pants! The whoel time he is sleeping.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Ok I am going to just put it out there

If you have a boy at what age did he find out about his penis and start exploring that I guess you would say
As soon as his little hands could reach it. Same as finding his feet.

Only thing we do is teach them to be private about it. I don't care if its just an itch, go scratch it in the bathroom or something.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Try having 3 the same age, and listen to three 4 year old's having discussion about their wee-wee's and the different sizes the turn into LOL when you are bathing them, dressing them or tucking then in bed.
You have to contain yourself from laughing.......
But just keep repeating over and over it is a private thing..........

Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Try having 3 the same age, and listen to three 4 year old's having discussion about their wee-wee's and the different sizes the turn into LOL when you are bathing them, dressing them or tucking then in bed.
You have to contain yourself from laughing.......
But just keep repeating over and over it is a private thing..........
oh my! I recently stopped bathing mine together (6 and 4 years). I thought it was time for them to be naked alone more and together less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting