Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:55 PM

210 posts, read 746,906 times

Advertisements

What age do you start handing out Apartment guides to your adult children? Ours is Twenty and contributes to the household in NO WAY WHAT SO EVER. He is going to school and working almost full time, but i am at my wits end with him. He does nothing around the house, except eat, shower, laundry,etc.....Once in a while he will take the trash out, but needs to be asked. He is a Stepson to me (had him since he was eight) and i think Momma tends to protect him a bit much. What should i do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 PM

22,823 posts, read 48,133,088 times
So he is in school, works almost full time and does the laundry.
When does he have time to do much more?

I'd let him be at home as long as he is in school... beats paying room and board.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,769,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
What age do you start handing out Apartment guides to your adult children? Ours is Twenty and contributes to the household in NO WAY WHAT SO EVER. He is going to school and working almost full time, but i am at my wits end with him. He does nothing around the house, except eat, shower, laundry,etc.....Once in a while he will take the trash out, but needs to be asked. He is a Stepson to me (had him since he was eight) and i think Momma tends to protect him a bit much. What should i do???

Hey, at least he does his laundry. A lot of college students I knew saved that for whenever they went home for a weekend. I even had a college roommate whose mother came to our apartment to clean her room.
I have to agree with PP, as long as he is in college and getting decent grades I wouldn't ask him to move out. Regarding your home he should clean after himself if he doesn't do that then I would have a talk with him.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,091,643 times
It sounds like he's pretty busy now. If there are specific things you want him to do I'd make up a list and give it to him. Of course your biggest hurdle may be getting you and your wife on the same page. That's the first step.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
I wouldn't hand out apartment guides until he has finished college.

If he's working almost full time AND going to school, he has a busier schedule than parents who merely work full time.

It sounds like he doesn't have much time to do anything else but eat, sleep, shower and do laundry while at home---especially when he needs to fit studying in too.

I'd just be thankful that he is doing his own laundry without being asked and taking out the garbage when asked.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:57 PM

484 posts, read 1,589,637 times
Probably not until he finishes college.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,190,862 times
Sheesh, he has 2 fulltime jobs - school and work. He should still be responsible for himself, his laundry, his room, his meals. Beyond that, I say give him a break. I speak from experience, as a mother of 2 sons and 1 stepson.

IF, however, he is making a mess in the kitchen and expecting you to clean it up, no way - he needs to be held accountable for HIS MESSes.

You've got a good kid, he's in school AND working; be supportive (yet don't turn into a floor mat, either).

Old 01-02-2010, 05:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times
I agree with the other posters....if he is in college and working and cleans up after himself and occasionally helps out....that seems pretty normal to me....Now, if he were 20, not going to school just working and spending all his money and free time sitting in the basement on xbox expecting you to do his laundry, cook and clean for him, then you'd have a problem. If he is motivated holding a job and going to school, chances are he is looking forward to moving out as much as you are looking forward to him moving out.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,309,671 times
I agree. As long as I was in school, my parents let me live with them. I mean, if he's 30 and still hasn't graduated, that's different. 20 and in school living rent free sounds fine to me.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
When my son turns 20, I will be thrilled if he is like your stepson! I couldn't be more serious. This is a huge concern of mine right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting