Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,772,592 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I have to disagree with the rest of the posters. I would have him pay you either a small amount of rent, and put it in a savings account for him when he moves out. Or tell him he needs to help around the house. He is 20, he needs to somehow contribute and learn you will not always be there to take care of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with the rest of the posters. I would have him pay you either a small amount of rent, and put it in a savings account for him when he moves out. Or tell him he needs to help around the house. He is 20, he needs to somehow contribute and learn you will not always be there to take care of him.
I agree he should do SOMETHING. I just don't think she should kick him out.

OP: Why does he need to work so much if he doesn't pay rent? Could he cut back on work hours and spend more time helping out at home?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,479,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

I agree... if he's working f/t, he should be making some kind of financial contribution to the household.

Other than that, I think he's doing fine --- going to school, working full time.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,826,988 times
I agree with the minority. He's of age where he should be contributing more than occasionally taking out the trash. I don't see why so many think he shouldn't. Heck, I work full-time, go to school part-time, and take care of what needs to be done in my house.

You people are too soft.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
I am assuming (perhaps wrongly...) that the money he earns is paying his college tuition and personal expenses....if his parents are paying his tuition and he is stashing the money he makes (or using it toward "wants" not "needs"), then I would agree he should help out. If the only contribution his parents are making to his education is living rent free and he is paying his tuition, car etc payments, I stand by my original post.....

Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
What age do you start handing out Apartment guides to your adult children? Ours is Twenty and contributes to the household in NO WAY WHAT SO EVER. He is going to school and working almost full time, but i am at my wits end with him. He does nothing around the house, except eat, shower, laundry,etc.....Once in a while he will take the trash out, but needs to be asked. He is a Stepson to me (had him since he was eight) and i think Momma tends to protect him a bit much. What should i do???

He should be expected to pay for his portion of the food and the utilities and keep his room clean. If he uses the kitchen, he should be expected to clean up after himself and ditto with the laundry.

If he is unwilling to contribute to his care and feeding, then he must learn to make his way in the real world. Otherwise, when the day comes that he does strike out on his own he won't have a clue how to budget his money to cover his expenses or take care of himself.

This is a learning opportunity. It's up to you to make sure he learns his lessons well.

20yrsinBranson
who was up and out of the house and proudly supporting herself at 18 years of age.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,130,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I agree... if he's working f/t, he should be making some kind of financial contribution to the household.
Yeah but is he working full time so that he can pay for school? College is expensive.

As long as he is in school, he should be able to live at home rent free. After all, you can still claim him as a dependent on your income taxes.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM

881 posts, read 2,255,750 times
IMO he should at least clean up after himself. For example if he makes lunch he should wipe off the counter tops, put dishes in the DW or rinse them off etc. I wouldn't make him do the heavy cleaning like scrubbing the floors or cleaning the inside of the oven.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM

210 posts, read 745,276 times
He does pay for his own school, and he does pay his car payments. The rest of his money he will just go blow, like a 42 inch t.v. etc... He also seems to go out a lot, im sure most of his money is spent there. I am just concerned he will turn out to be a 25 year old STILL living at home. When i was his age i pretty much got thrown to the wolfs. It was sink or swim for me. I dont see much ambition on his part to move out, i think in his mind he has it made here, so why move out. Everything is paid for him, (cell phone, food, electricity,water, trash, laundry soap,etc...) My favorite is when i hear him complaining that there is nothing to eat, theres no laundry soap,and so on. Im just getting tired of taking care of a ADULT MAN......

Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
He does pay for his own school, and he does pay his car payments. The rest of his money he will just go blow, like a 42 inch t.v. etc... He also seems to go out a lot, im sure most of his money is spent there. I am just concerned he will turn out to be a 25 year old STILL living at home. When i was his age i pretty much got thrown to the wolfs. It was sink or swim for me. I dont see much ambition on his part to move out, i think in his mind he has it made here, so why move out. Everything is paid for him, (cell phone, food, electricity,water, trash, laundry soap,etc...) My favorite is when i hear him complaining that there is nothing to eat, theres no laundry soap,and so on. Im just getting tired of taking care of a ADULT MAN......
He has a bigger TV in his room than I have in my living room??? I say he should pay for his own cell phone at least. And if there is something specific he wants from the grocery store, he can go and get it. If he is paying for his own school and car I don't necessarily think he needs to pay for part of the utilities at home. If dad is agreeable, maybe you could decide on a time line for him to be done with school and/or out of the house. I can see it becoming a problem if he is just messing around and taking a class or 2 per semester. If he is really working toward a degree and taking a full load every semester, I don't see the problem with him living at home. Rather than making him pay, I think teaching him to clean up after himself, cook, do laundry, etc. could be more helpful for him and his future wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting