Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 AM

12 posts, read 32,366 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call the cops i would probably watch the car from afar until the parents came out. If it is hot now that's a different story. I wouldn't want any one kid to be taken away and put into foster care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
When I was a child growing up in the Bronx, my mother would double park her huge brown car in front of the local bodega to pick up buttered rolls (and a coffee for her) for breakfast before school - and leave me in the car. This was a fairly busy road, and she honestly felt that if a cop came by to issue a ticket, that he would see me and be lenient. I don't recall if a cop ever came, but I know I was in kindergarten when this trend started. Keys were left in the car, and the car was on, usually with either heat or a/c depending on the weather.

I turned out just fine, and was always visible to my mother - and she was in and out of that store in a minute. Maybe I was fortunate in that I was a good child (didn't touch the steering wheel or gear shift), and that no one tried kidnapping me - I was the sort of child that did as I was told. So, I do think that kids could be left in a car for a quick errand - but it really depends on the maturity of the child, where you are, and how long you will be out of the car. I have two half-brothers, 12 and 16, and I would never leave EITHER of them alone in a car.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am the original poster and I'm glad I started this discussion.
I strongly disagree with folks who say the world hasn't changed, the media just tells us more about it. While there have always been perverts, the stresses in our society and the abandonement of folks in mental institutions has made this world much more dangerous.
Regarding what some folks call paranoia about leaving kids unattended in cars, why would anybody even think of taking the chance. It's not paranoia- It's being aware of reality. I am a news junkie and get so tired of hearing about kids being stolen along with cars, dying in hot cars, slipping the cars into gear and even in Atlanta recently a child was killed in her mom's car in her own driveway when she put the car in gear and when she tried to get out she was run over.
Living in a rural area "with low crime rate" does not make you safe from the one crazy on the run or who lives down the road. Just don't take a chance.
Our children are our future, our greatest treasure. there is no excuse for not being their protector and keeping them safe.
I agree! I am diligent when it comes to this issue. As you stated "Demos' "Area" should never be the basis to an an excuse to leave a child unattended, you also made an excellent point regarding "It takes one crazy" to abduct. Small towns, big cities, one can never be sure who lives next door these days. Have a doubt? Look on Megans law and put your area code in to locate sex offenders and one will surely get a wake up call that perps are everywhere! And these perps are the ones that follow rules and regulations/the law and register...imagine how many perps that look like the nice person next door, looking for the opp.?
I am wondering why there is even any opposition to this thread? IMHO...Better to be safe than sorry. Do we not have enough regret in this world from parents whom have lost children stating the obvious, "If I had only taken the time to take them into the store", "If only I would have gone to watch him/her play at the playground instead of watching my favorite sitcom" "If only I would have gotten a afterschool program for my daughter instead of allowing her to walk home at 9 years old" Often times we forget to tell our children that the boogeyman looks normal and does not always wear a trench coat and looks scary...
And sure there are some events that occur no matter what however why mess with the easiest thing we as parents can provide our children with a basic factor...SUPERVISION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's their neighborhood and home! They live there!

They shouldn't keep their children inside under lock and key, never to see sunshine!

Many people in those neighborhoods don't even own cars. They have to leave their houses---to go shopping, the doctors, to school, to church.

Staying inside makes those neighborhoods more dangerous.

Ghetto communities that fight for the safety of their neighborhood take to the streets---with block parties, sitting on their front porches or front steps, etc.

It takes having a lively community with people being out and about to fight crime.

Furthermore, children aren't safer in cars in those neighborhoods. Bullets go through glass and metal.

Many children are shot while sitting in cars that are driving through those neighborhoods.
So just because a parent lives in a ghetto or a 'More at risk" hood, this is a excuse not to supervise their kids? Just because a parent in these "hoods" has no conventional means of transportation, i.e. a 'Car" this gives them the right to leave their kids when they go and run errands? To allow their child to play at the local playground unattended because they have a job and haveto pay the bills and cannot afford daycare? NO EXCUSE! With all the community resources available, stipends, putting in volunteer hours on weekends to make up for monetary payments for afterschool care? Please! Networking with classmates families or family? There is no excuse except ignorance and the inability to connect to resources within the community.
Come stronger next time.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:44 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Then they need to leave the dog at home, however, in most cases, pets will suffer no ill effects on regular old plain days when temps aren't too high or too low.
And I agree, I don't think anyone is arguing that for pets it isn't a big deal if the temperatures are extreme. They aren't as likely to get taken or get into trouble like a younger child would, like say under 8, although it certainly does happen. My concern with younger children is them getting out of their car seat and getting out of the car and getting hurt that way. That is a more likely scenario than the child actually getting kidnapped. There was a news story once some years ago about a mom who left her child in the car and the car caught on fire. The ending was not good.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
nope unless the kid is in immediate danger but the 911 call, you betcha

Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 AM

23 posts, read 34,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, KH02, even the states you mention don't care if you leave a child for 5min to run into the dry cleaners. Frankly, I'm surprised you let your kids ride in a car at all since automobile crashes are the leading cause of death for children. Do you let them play outside? Walk to school? Or are you so terrified that they may be one of the 115 children kidnapped this year that you never let them out of your sight?

Honestly, I'm more scared that my children won't be functioning adults because they're terrified of the world around them than I am the car will suddenly burst into flames while I'm picking up the dry cleaning.

I can't agree more! I do think we need to use common sense here, but basically, and eight year old is in no more danger sitting in the car than a fifteen year old is going to the mall bathroom by herself. Is daddy to go in the bathroom with her, too? Or make her pee or **** her pants?

Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I agree! I am diligent when it comes to this issue. As you stated "Demos' "Area" should never be the basis to an an excuse to leave a child unattended, you also made an excellent point regarding "It takes one crazy" to abduct. Small towns, big cities, one can never be sure who lives next door these days. Have a doubt? Look on Megans law and put your area code in to locate sex offenders and one will surely get a wake up call that perps are everywhere! And these perps are the ones that follow rules and regulations/the law and register...imagine how many perps that look like the nice person next door, looking for the opp.?
I am wondering why there is even any opposition to this thread? IMHO...Better to be safe than sorry. Do we not have enough regret in this world from parents whom have lost children stating the obvious, "If I had only taken the time to take them into the store", "If only I would have gone to watch him/her play at the playground instead of watching my favorite sitcom" "If only I would have gotten a afterschool program for my daughter instead of allowing her to walk home at 9 years old" Often times we forget to tell our children that the boogeyman looks normal and does not always wear a trench coat and looks scary...
And sure there are some events that occur no matter what however why mess with the easiest thing we as parents can provide our children with a basic factor...SUPERVISION.

So just because a parent lives in a ghetto or a 'More at risk" hood, this is a excuse not to supervise their kids? Just because a parent in these "hoods" has no conventional means of transportation, i.e. a 'Car" this gives them the right to leave their kids when they go and run errands? To allow their child to play at the local playground unattended because they have a job and haveto pay the bills and cannot afford daycare? NO EXCUSE! With all the community resources available, stipends, putting in volunteer hours on weekends to make up for monetary payments for afterschool care? Please! Networking with classmates families or family? There is no excuse except ignorance and the inability to connect to resources within the community.
Come stronger next time.

And because of people like you, Parents that use those resources are looked more and more down on, so are less likely to use them, and so are more likely to leave their children unattended because you are just watching for one mistake to take their children.
Damn! I stayed at home alone with my brothers and sisters when I was ten, and they were younger! Nothing happened, and we had clear rules.
I've said it to other posts! Common Sense!

Check the age and maturity of the child, the lenght of stay in a place, and the area you are judging. Yes, staying inside can be safer for kids at times, but it does not allow them the freedom to learn on their own, does it? Are we raising robots to do what they are told, or thinking people to use their brains when problems come up. The car is running and a stranger tries to get in? Why isn't the eldest (assuming he or she is older than 10) trying get the doors locked, and pressing on the horn for help! At the same time, a five year old doens't know any better, so granted, not very little kids unsupervised, but we do need to let them learn to use their brains and teach them what to do in an emergency!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Fear is a strange thing.
We have a friend who makes her 13y.o wear a pull up (diaper) when they go out because she is so afraid that the girl will get molested that she does not let her out of her sight and won't let her use public restrooms.
I understand one hundred percent, and I do have to be near if my now 12 year old wants to use the bathroom in a public toilet, but that is how paranoid the news and everyone makes us. And it's not just that's dangerous. It's also that if I am found neglecting my daughter so she can pee, that I might get put in prison for letting her go potty unattended because I'm a man?

Grow up, people, and use common sense! Teach your kids to use it, and they are less likely to have these stupid strange accidents. And make sure when you do leave them unattended, they are old enough to cope with it and to keep themselves safe. An eight year old that sees daddy use the gear shift to make the car move, and with given instruction by a parent that a car is a dangerous tool if it is not used right and a discussion on it, can understand not to move the gear shift but to move the air to a comfortable setting and the radio nob to their favorite stations. Kids are not animals or stupid, they only needs parents to take the time to teach them!

I often leave my oldest in the car for a ten minute trip to get her sister because my oldest who is 12 is tired and doesn't want to go into the daycare to get her. My 12 year old doesn't bother anything even the radio in the car. She just plays her DS and is happy doing that! Why would I not trust her? and she does fiddle with the air if she is hot or cold, but that is the only thing she touches without asking, and that's because she was taught what is common sense to touch, and waht is unnecessary.

Teach this to your kids, and they won't hurt themselves.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
1) call the police immediately
2) stand by the car to make sure nobody ran off with the kids

Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
1) call the police immediately
2) stand by the car to make sure nobody ran off with the kids
You would call the police, immediately? What if they just went to return their cart or something similar and were gone for less then a minute.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting