Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,933,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Not because they parent differently, but because they are parenting unsafely... .
Unsafely according to YOU not to them. They are the ones who determine what is parenting safely, not you. You decide for your family. They decide for their own.

Quote:
It's never safe to leave young children in a car alone.
Again, that is YOUR determination, not theirs. YOU think it is never safe to leave them unattended so that is what you should do for your kids. Other people make differrent decisions based on their own assessment of the situation.

Quote:
Most of whom are strapped in with a harness and cannot get themselves out if there is a problem, whether it be related to a person stealing the car or a car crashing into your car while your kids are in it or a fire or something....you just never know.
All of that may be a concern for you and not such a big concern for other people. I still say you have some nerve telling other people whether they should or should not have had kids simply because they make different parenting choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
States that currently HAVE laws regarding children left unattended in vehicles:
Washington, Nevada, California, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee, Louisiana, Florida, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Hawaii and Connecticut

States that currently have laws if an injury or fatality occurs when a child is left unattended in a motor vehicle: Missouri and Kentucky

States that currently have proposed legislation regarding children left in alone in motor vehicle:
Montana, Arizona, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island.

Now, if all these states HAVE or are trying to PASS laws of this nature wouldn't it make sense that its been proven it is a dangerous thing to do?? Yes would be the answer!

Most of these laws do have a certain age of child in the law, most are 10 and under...
Note that 70% of states DO NOT have a law so your post proves that only 30% of the states have any sort of law. 70% of the states leave it parents to decide.

Note that the law in my state (FL) indicates that a child under the age of 6 may be left unattended in a car for no longer than 15 minutes as long as the car is not running and leaving the child does not place the child in imminent danger (heat is an issue here). It does not state that a young child may NEVER be left in a car. So while there is a law, it does not support your claim that a young child should never be left unattended.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:10 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,444,007 times
Florida is also a very messed up state when it comes to protecting children, though I suppose thats my opinion, though I know others who share it.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Perhaps you think the small number of children who die yearly related to being left alone in a car is not a very high number...which its not statistically. But 1 child is enough deaths to make me choose safer decisions related to leaving them in a car.

I suppose I'll just pray that one of those small amount of children a year isn't one of yours...they are preventable deaths, which are the worst kind for a parent to live through.

But I suppose we can agree to disagree on this one.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Florida is also a very messed up state when it comes to protecting children, though I suppose thats my opinion, though I know others who share it.
I guess when your statement is not supported by the facts you need to turn to opinion.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Figures you'd reply to that post and not the other one....

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Figures you'd reply to that post and not the other one....
What do you want me to say?

I have a very big problem with your judgemental, inflexible attitude towards others who make different choices than you do. Why do you think you are so perfect that anyone who chooses differently than you do should not have had children?

I don't need your prayers.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,023 times
Oh for goodness sakes, KH02, even the states you mention don't care if you leave a child for 5min to run into the dry cleaners. Frankly, I'm surprised you let your kids ride in a car at all since automobile crashes are the leading cause of death for children. Do you let them play outside? Walk to school? Or are you so terrified that they may be one of the 115 children kidnapped this year that you never let them out of your sight?

Honestly, I'm more scared that my children won't be functioning adults because they're terrified of the world around them than I am the car will suddenly burst into flames while I'm picking up the dry cleaning.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM

we aren't talking about bottle feeding vs breast, or daycare vs working or being single or married with children. THOSE are choices that i don't mind if people make them for themselves and they should for what works best for them. To each their own...
But when it comes to safety I wish that more states would step up and force people to make a safer choice since it has to do with a life and death matter.

I only said that the one woman who wrote in her post that she had three kids and it was a hassle or inconvenience to her to unbuckle them all and bring them in. Because you know the more children you have the more inconveniences you will have. Of course children are going to be a hassle in some situations, but you STILL need to make the safest choice for them.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, KH02, even the states you mention don't care if you leave a child for 5min to run into the dry cleaners. Frankly, I'm surprised you let your kids ride in a car at all since automobile crashes are the leading cause of death for children. Do you let them play outside? Walk to school? Or are you so terrified that they may be one of the 115 children kidnapped this year that you never let them out of your sight?

Honestly, I'm more scared that my children won't be functioning adults because they're terrified of the world around them than I am the car will suddenly burst into flames while I'm picking up the dry cleaning.
Using an automobile or some type of transportation in most places is necessary to get to work, school etc, unless you live in a walkable city. I don't really equate that to leaving kids in a car alone which can always be avoided and isn't a necessity.

No, they don't walk to school as they are YOUNG children and we dont live in an area where kids can walk.

They play outside supervised by an adult as they are 5 and under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting