Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times

Advertisements

I'm glad some people finally agree with me that it is a dangerous thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I do agree that people should leave their dogs at home when it is hot outside and yes they should nto be bringing them into stores. That is a whole different topic though. I strongly, STRONGLY disagree that she went too far with the puppy. You are VERY misinformed. On a warm day, with the windows ONLY cracked, the air inside of a car can get dangerously warm in less than 10 minutes. I'm talking about a car in the sun at 80 degrees can KILL a dog with or without water in a relatively short time. So no I don't think she was freaking out and going too far. You would have to leave the windows all the way down which would be fine for many dogs, not so much for a puppy and not with an aggressive dog, for it to even be remotely safe. So I don't think waiting for the owner to arrive or calling the police (as in most state it would be illegal) is going to far. But leaving animals in the car is really not what this topic is about anyway.

PS. I do not have a problem with anyone leaving an animal in the car on cold days at all (well unless it is Canda and 40 below or something and the dogs life is at risk). heat is much more dangerous than cold in a car though.
Then they need to leave the dog at home, however, in most cases, pets will suffer no ill effects on regular old plain days when temps aren't too high or too low.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am the original poster and I'm glad I started this discussion.
I strongly disagree with folks who say the world hasn't changed, the media just tells us more about it. While there have always been perverts, the stresses in our society and the abandonement of folks in mental institutions has made this world much more dangerous.
Regarding what some folks call paranoia about leaving kids unattended in cars, why would anybody even think of taking the chance. It's not paranoia- It's being aware of reality. I am a news junkie and get so tired of hearing about kids being stolen along with cars, dying in hot cars, slipping the cars into gear and even in Atlanta recently a child was killed in her mom's car in her own driveway when she put the car in gear and when she tried to get out she was run over.
Living in a rural area "with low crime rate" does not make you safe from the one crazy on the run or who lives down the road. Just don't take a chance.
Our children are our future, our greatest treasure. there is no excuse for not being their protector and keeping them safe.
I agree that a child should never be left unattended in a vehicle, keys should never be left in a vehicle so the vehicle can not be placed into gear and a child, if left in the car to run in and slip $20 to a cashier in a gas station, should be in sight of the parent at ALL times. I know that many places make that impossible but there is no reason that a child should be left out of sight even for 2 seconds. The only exception I would EVER made was in a very bad neighborhood I was once in where kidnapping would surely occured if I would have attempted to handle all my children as toddlers on my own. Thankfully, I had the ability to pay at the pump and the only ill we had was a gang member who tried to rob DH who I was able to see ahead of time and go back to back with him to prevent it from happening as the jerk brushed by.

Anyway, I recall a conversation with a relative who said I was too protective of DD when she was 2 1/2 as I would not let her out of my sight for anything. Then they called to say that I should keep a close eye on her cause their son was just walking into a massive forest near where they lived before she found him and was lucky she hadn't been one second slower.

News junkie? I guess that about says it, huh? All the articles are meant to be put together in a way that attacks your emotions so you keep on tuning in. I like to look at facts by looking up real concrete statistics and fact checking them against many different references before I care to listen to a single thing I here on the news. Its all a bunch of crap, like watching any other poorly put together soap opera. Wah, wah, boo-hoo. I just don't feel it.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 PM

I would like to point out the dangers of allowing children to play attended or unattended at any park in the worst neighborhoods period. Why would anyone take their kids to play on nearby swings in the slums? Don't they know the risk they put their kids in? I mean, when I am in those bad neighborhoods, I would much rather lock my kids in a car to better protect them personally than let them even walk from the street to a house in those areas.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 PM

11 posts, read 22,347 times
As long as the doors are locked and you can see the car, it should be okay if you run inside a store as long as the children can breathe fresh air, are safely buckled in and are at least 8 years old. If they are any younger just go through the hassle because you will feel way better when you know your child is safe, and not another case on the news channel

Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I would like to point out the dangers of allowing children to play attended or unattended at any park in the worst neighborhoods period. Why would anyone take their kids to play on nearby swings in the slums? Don't they know the risk they put their kids in?
It's their neighborhood and home! They live there!

They shouldn't keep their children inside under lock and key, never to see sunshine!

Quote:
I mean, when I am in those bad neighborhoods, I would much rather lock my kids in a car to better protect them personally than let them even walk from the street to a house in those areas.
Many people in those neighborhoods don't even own cars. They have to leave their houses---to go shopping, the doctors, to school, to church.

Staying inside makes those neighborhoods more dangerous.

Ghetto communities that fight for the safety of their neighborhood take to the streets---with block parties, sitting on their front porches or front steps, etc.

It takes having a lively community with people being out and about to fight crime.

Furthermore, children aren't safer in cars in those neighborhoods. Bullets go through glass and metal.

Many children are shot while sitting in cars that are driving through those neighborhoods.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
I wouldn't leave a child or pet in the car ever. I don't care how inconvenient it is for me. Where I live it's too hot and there is a lot of crime. It's just not worth it to me to take that chance.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
Once upon a time I would have been more inclined to give mom the benefit of a doubt, watch over & see what happens...

BUT, after knowing a few drug addict moms, I have totally changed my mind on that. A neighbor of mine would expose her child to extremely dangerous people/situations, including leaving him in a car (her car, a "friend's", a hook-up) between birth and (when she died) 5 years.

If people witnessing this would have called the police, there is a better chance she would have had consequences.

So, if I see a child in a car and they are 5 or under, I'm calling the police. If there is no problem, it's an inconvenience for the parent. If there IS a problem, it could save a child.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
I agree that a child should never be left unattended in a vehicle, keys should never be left in a vehicle so the vehicle can not be placed into gear and a child, if left in the car to run in and slip $20 to a cashier in a gas station, should be in sight of the parent at ALL times.
How long does never last? When the child has a driver's license can you let him sit in the car while you run an errand?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
Fear is a strange thing.
We have a friend who makes her 13y.o wear a pull up (diaper) when they go out because she is so afraid that the girl will get molested that she does not let her out of her sight and won't let her use public restrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting