Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,526,281 times

Advertisements

This year we handed out miniature containers of PlayDoh. A package of 12 containers was $4.99 and we bought 3 packages. We live in the country though, and don't have many kids - we only got six TT'ers this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,239,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Last year we had 692 trick-or-treaters not counting accompanying adults, but I think it will be less this year as the local college football team has a game on
WOW! 692 trick or treaters! Last year we had about 50. This year only two groups, 6 kids in all. Very sad!

I ended up getting pretzels, cheese crackers, sweet tarts, nerds and Hershey kisses. I thought I might have some left over, but didn't expect only 6 kids! (Actually bought other candy a while ago, but it didn't survive.)

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,092,631 times
We don't do Halloween but if we did we would hand out fig newtons or some kind of granola bars.
Most candy is gross unless it's chocolate !

Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,107 times
We bought a bunch of bags, mostly chocolate, one thing of Starbursts and another of Goldfish (for the littlest ones).

I remember what Halloween was like and I also remember liking the chocolate the best, which is why we pass it out. Starbursts are for those brave enough to admit they're allergic.

The only part that bothered me this year was that several houses on our block didn't pass out candy, but their kids were certainly at my door. (Some of them twice, parents in tow)

I understand that times are tough, it's the economy, etc. - but frankly I hear this excuse too often these days by people I see smoking cigarettes, ordering pizza delivery, etc. And if you can order pizza from Domino's on Halloween and can afford store bought costumes for your 3 children, then you are CHOOSING to be a cheapskate and not pass out candy. I just wish people would "man up" and at least have the decency to not beg for handouts from others to support their vices.

Oh, and everyone bigger than 2 or 3 gets two pieces on their first trip to my house. After that, it's "attitude dependent"... mine and theirs.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,780,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
What I hate is these kids who (if you put a bowl outside) take the whole damn thing! My neighbor bragged about her kids doing this last year! I told her that is really wrong.

I came upon a very large family digging into a large bowl left by one neighbor who was at work. As I walked up with my two kids, 2 adults and one child were taking candy with both hands and filling their buckets. I just looked at them and said "What greed! Kids, remember your manners and take only one piece. Anthony wanted everyone in the neighborhood to have some of his candy." Of course, my kids couldn't get near it since the gluttons were there.

Loved the looks on their faces! They immediately stopped and left with no comment. Luckily they don't live in the neighborhood. It's terrible that adults think this is the right thing to do!

Oh, I edited to add that I bought one bag of Hershey's chocolates...160 pieces for $13, and a bag of wonka assorted stuff, and a bag of dumdums. All gone! My husband figured we had at least 200 kids, and at least 4 came by twice.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,945,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
No, why would I be kidding? People are unemployed and barely eating. If you get a lot of trick or treaters, chocolate at $7 or $8 a bag adds up. We don't get the odd Trick or Treater...we get over 100-200 kids.

That's why we bought a mixture of stuff. I would not just turn off the porch light and pretend not to be home. We like to give out candy. It just seems more people are complaining about the cost this year, especially for the good stuff like mini Hersheys and chocolate in general.

I've gotten several reps for this thread, by the way! People are just speaking out against high prices, that's all. I don't know why people can't get their heads around the fact some people don't have a lot of extra money at holiday time.
Where do you live that you are paying $8 a bag of chocolate?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,095,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Why would she be kidding? Double digit unemployment, recession, pinching pennies...those are realities for much of the country. If they aren't factors in your world, you're darn lucky. Florida's been hit HARD.
Thank you for a good post. I still don't understand why people are 'ranting' about this. If you want to buy Godiva candy and give it out, good for you. If you have the money for full sized candy bars, great!

Funny, the same ones crying about their neighbors opting out are complaining the 'same kids' showed up several times...now who is being 'petty?'

Reality 2009:
There are some people who cannot afford to participate in Halloween or choose not to.

What about those that object for religious reasons? Should we start insulting them? I remember when Halloween was on a Sunday one year and there were several people in my neighborhood with signs saying "We choose due to our religion not to participate in Halloween."

Last time I looked this was the USA. People can decide for themselves whether or not to participate in a holiday. If you have a problem with their lifestyles (they buy beer, pizza and cigarettes instead of handing out candy), then it's YOUR problem.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,670,394 times
Got our candy at the dollar store, whoppers and dum dums (there's going to be a lot of dum dums, sweet tarts, and tootsie rolls in those bags this year). Now for my OWN kids I did buy some chocolate fun-sizes (Butterfinger and Babe Ruths), but they tasted different this year. Are they using cheaper chocolate? I notice that Nestles is in Switerzerland. Has it always been? I know the Hershey plant is now in Mexico - once they start outsourcing stuff, the quality goes down I don't care what they say, it does.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,107 times
Last time I looked this was the USA. People can decide for themselves whether or not to participate in a holiday. If you have a problem with their lifestyles (they buy beer, pizza and cigarettes instead of handing out candy), then it's YOUR problem.

My problem isn't with those who choose not to participate, mine is with those who cry broke, still allow their kids to participate by taking candy from the neighbors and smoke cigarettes.

In America, they have that choice - but to blame the economy when it's really all about their own choices & selfishness irks me and many others.

What's wrong with this country today? It's people who use the liberty they've been granted by God and our military to choose to do the wrong thing.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,047,419 times
I noticed that candy is about 3$/ lb. now. I bought about 20 lbs worth. I didn't count the kids but there were hundreds of them. I only give out a single piece unless it's junk candy like a single gumball or lollypop.

What happens to all that extra candy that's not sold but has halloween themed wrappers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting