Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,335,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I can't imagine having enough money to give out all chocolate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Are you kidding?
Quote:
No, why would I be kidding? People are unemployed and barely eating.....I don't know why people can't get their heads around the fact some people don't have a lot of extra money at holiday time.
Anyone who is barely putting food on the table shoudn't be participating in Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Well, check your candy, folks. I bet most of the cheaper variety are made in China.

Like everyone else, I saw that this year candy was a lot more expensive. When I got it home I noticed emblazoned on the back of some of the packages were "Made in USA". They were the more spendy packages. If I have to pay 6,7, or even 8 dollars for candy with that kind of assurance, I will do it.
Good point! Cheaper can mean more dangerous with the global economy. I don't even buy toothpaste or shampoo that isn't made in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
I bought eight bags of candy (ONLY chocolate - reeses, hersheys, milky ways and three muskateers) on halloween, five bucks a bag. Didn't seem too pricey to me - we went through almost all of it, not much left over for the pregnant lady
I bought the snickers/milkyway/3muskateer/twix bags and the semi-large tootsie roll bags.

I don't want to give someone garbage that we wouldn't eat at home. Plus, I'd be wasting more money if I bought garbage my family didn't like. We enjoy the leftovers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,820,363 times
Good grief, where do you guys shop? I live in the Chicago area, so prices are fairly high around here, but I got four bags for $10 at Jewel (Kit Kat, Reese's PB Cups, Sweet Tarts and something else) and two big mixed bags for $5 at Meijer because I was worried there wouldn't be enough. $15 for six bags of candy. They weren't giant but we had plenty.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,213,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

GypsySoul22
I can't imagine having enough money to give out all chocolate.

Are you kidding?
Why would she be kidding? Double digit unemployment, recession, pinching pennies...those are realities for much of the country. If they aren't factors in your world, you're darn lucky. Florida's been hit HARD.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,213,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Good grief, where do you guys shop? I live in the Chicago area, so prices are fairly high around here, but I got four bags for $10 at Jewel (Kit Kat, Reese's PB Cups, Sweet Tarts and something else) and two big mixed bags for $5 at Meijer because I was worried there wouldn't be enough. $15 for six bags of candy. They weren't giant but we had plenty.
$8.99 for a bag of 80 Reese's and Kit Kats in the Tampa area. $6.99 for the bag of 90 mini-packs of Skittles. It was cheaper than buying the smaller bags, which were something like $3 each, for about 20 pieces of candy per bag.

Usually we'll go through whatever I buy plus end up handing out some of my kids' candy as well (the stuff they're not as crazy about). This year, we had only a handful of trick-or-treaters. Not sure what happened, but I wish I'd known in advance we'd have so few.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,820,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
$8.99 for a bag of 80 Reese's and Kit Kats in the Tampa area. $6.99 for the bag of 90 mini-packs of Skittles. It was cheaper than buying the smaller bags, which were something like $3 each, for about 20 pieces of candy per bag.

Usually we'll go through whatever I buy plus end up handing out some of my kids' candy as well (the stuff they're not as crazy about). This year, we had only a handful of trick-or-treaters. Not sure what happened, but I wish I'd known in advance we'd have so few.
I was so torn about whether to buy the big bags or not. I do all my grocery shopping on Saturdays and got the 4/$10 first, and then I figured I'd better buy more just in case. The smaller bags did feel skimpier than I anticipated. I probably should have just bought the great big bags like you did; I think it would have cost the same. I had a problem with the selection. I didn't want just chocolate, because some kids like fruity candy like Skittles or Starburst.

It's always so tough to figure how much candy you'll need. We expected more kids, so we have candy left over. We'll save some of it (I love finding forgotten Snickers in the freezer) but most of it will go to the office tomorrow.

Hmm, I just remembered that Veterans' Day is coming and my daughters' school is collecting items to send to soldiers. I'll check with them to see if they could use the candy. My mom collects candy for Christmas Child, a charity she works with that stuff shoeboxes to send overseas to poor children, but they can't use chocolate because it melts too easily and makes a mess. Our candy basket does have a lot of gum and fruit Tootsie Rolls that I can send her.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,115,748 times
Yeah, good idea, JustJulia.
You guys, maybe you can look into sending some of that candy you don't want to a hospital or a homeless shelter.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,767,141 times
I understand allergies and things and I sympathize but I thought this was a bit rude.
We had a group of mothers that were trying to educate neighbors and such..they also had an article in the newspaper warning the dangers.

We had some kids here wanting other candy because they had allergies.

What bothered me about this was someone trying to dictate what we can buy...we are "giving" candy.

Would that not be up to a parent to go through their child's candy? I thought this was a bit much.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,335,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I understand allergies and things and I sympathize but I thought this was a bit rude.
We had a group of mothers that were trying to educate neighbors and such..they also had an article in the newspaper warning the dangers.

What bothered me about this was someone trying to dictate what we can buy...we are "giving" candy.

Would that not be up to a parent to go through their child's candy? I thought this was a bit much.
I totally agree! People shouldn't have to cater to other people's allergies. Parents need to educate their children to avoid foods. And if the child is too young to protect him/herself, the parent should be standing right next to the child at the door when trick-or-treating. To expect people to purchase substitutes is unrealistic since there are soooooooo many different food allergies.

It's time their children learn that people can't make special accomodations for them all of the time. When they are adults, they're going to have to eat green beens if they're allergic to everything else. The host shouldn't be expected to prepare a special mean around someone's allergy. This is trick-or-treating, not the school cafeteria for goodness sake!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM

9,896 posts, read 22,088,518 times
Candy has gone up & the quantity has gone down. What used to be 1 lb for 1.00 (99.9 cent store) is 10 or 12 oz for a buck. The .99 cent store is sneaky. They round all 99.9 cent items out to a dollar & in ca they round the sales tax to 9%. Its higher in some counties like L.A. I have also noticed the increase at walmart & other rip off stores.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM

14,860 posts, read 42,992,982 times
Quote:
Last year we got an ADULT trick or treating with his kids...he had a bag for himself... I mean, come on!
At least he had kids with him. I had a grown man come to my door BY HIMSELF! Not a kid in sight . Worse........... he was in a black ninja outfit w/ his face covered all but his eyes. This one is really making me rethink just opening my door to every stranger on Halloween. We live in a very nice neighborhood and get truckloads of kids coming in. This guy made me wonder if he was casing houses.

My sister had an elderly lady "attacked" in her neighborhood. She was sitting outside handing out candy and a big kid hit her in the head and took the entire bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post

I don't buy special candy for such. I mean, it is a "giving" of stuff.

Now, if I knew the neighbor well enough to know that they had a kid w/ a peanut allergy I might have something special tucked away for them when they come. The family next door has several small kids and two of them have food allergies. I usually always let them pick between the bowls of candy I have anyway what they want as they are my next door neighbors and I know them. But just some random person in the neighborhood or brought in........... whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting