Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long did you breastfeed?
A few weeks 4 5.48%
about 3 months 4 5.48%
3 - 6 months 9 12.33%
6 - 9 months 7 9.59%
9 - 12 months 9 12.33%
One year or longer 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I didn't know you did it that long too! That's great!!!

Same questions for you then...If you don't mind
Well, my 3 year old is still nursing too!

I never felt let down with her at all, even when she was little. With the baby now, I have felt it, but not all the time any more even. Some people just don't feel it. I nursed her totally on-demand until 2 years. Now she'll ask, and I'll either say yes or no depending on if I feel like it at that moment. Sometimes I say I don't want to right now, let's wait till later. She was nursing once a week there for about 6 months, and then went back up to once a day. Now she's about twice a day again, first thing in the morning when she wakes up and while we read her bedtime story (and sometimes in between). I think once I go back to work again her nursing will even back out though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,230,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Well, my 3 year old is still nursing too!

I never felt let down with her at all, even when she was little. With the baby now, I have felt it, but not all the time any more even. Some people just don't feel it. I nursed her totally on-demand until 2 years. Now she'll ask, and I'll either say yes or no depending on if I feel like it at that moment. Sometimes I say I don't want to right now, let's wait till later. She was nursing once a week there for about 6 months, and then went back up to once a day. Now she's about twice a day again, first thing in the morning when she wakes up and while we read her bedtime story (and sometimes in between). I think once I go back to work again her nursing will even back out though.

I've often wondered if it was emotionally/psychologically harmful to say "no" when they wanted to nurse.

She has pulled my shirt at times in public or at home and I have kindly told her "not right now baby."

Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
I've often wondered if it was emotionally/psychologically harmful to say "no" when they wanted to nurse.

She has pulled my shirt at times in public or at home and I have kindly told her "not right now baby."
Nope, just part of growing up. Trust me, she'll hear "no" quite a bit as she grows.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Nope, just part of growing up. Trust me, she'll hear "no" quite a bit as she grows.
I agree. I think it's good to remember that nursing is a relationship with two people involved. Sometimes you have to put your needs in that relationship ahead of your child's.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,230,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I agree. I think it's good to remember that nursing is a relationship with two people involved. Sometimes you have to put your needs in that relationship ahead of your child's.

Thank you thank you thank you.

You guys have helped alot. It also helps to hear your first hand experience so when I start my training I have a bit more info other than what I myself have personally experienced and what I've read in books.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Quote:
I tell anyone who is having trouble that by the second month it gets easier and each month after that it gets even more easy.
Me, too. I always tell new moms who are having a hard time of it that the first month is really the hardest, but it really does get easier after that.

I cried and cried the first two weeks. I worried... I didn't feel like I was producing enough milk... I HURT. It was so hard. But I'm so glad that I stuck with it.

And honestly, to me, it felt like doctors - though they may have the best intentions - are too quick to suggest supplementing with a bottle. That really makes it harder. You really need to stick to your guns and keep with the breast exclusively. That's what I learned anyway, the hard way...

Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 PM

955 posts, read 3,649,321 times
I nursed both of my kids for 16-17 months - I returned to work full time when they were 3 months old and pumped and nursed after that point.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Yes, this exactly. When a baby is very small, her needs come first most of the time. But as they get bigger, you can do more to balance your needs with hers.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM

522 posts, read 1,856,353 times
i'm tryin to push for 4 years but the wife aint havin it.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,359 times
I nursed my first for 9 months, I wish i could have gone longer, however due to stress of a cross country move my supply did not last long.DS no. 2 will be weaned after this winter(he will be 2 in June). Due to a rather nasty bite, tonight however he will be getting pumped milk mostly. I never understood why woman would get boob jobs, now I know why he is such an avid feeder it has taken a toll on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting