Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long did you breastfeed?
A few weeks 4 5.48%
about 3 months 4 5.48%
3 - 6 months 9 12.33%
6 - 9 months 7 9.59%
9 - 12 months 9 12.33%
One year or longer 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 PM

502 posts, read 1,659,063 times

Advertisements

Interesting results. There are some good points here. I've learned that nursing and pumping are an art. What works for some doesn't work for others. But to be successful you have to have support (both at home and at work) and education.

My first goal was six weeks. After that it was when I came back to work at twelve weeks. Now it's six months. But quite honestly it's getting easier with time, so I'm pretty sure I'll make it to a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
Interesting results. There are some good points here. I've learned that nursing and pumping are an art. What works for some doesn't work for others.
Absolutely. My sil is in the military and she and another nursing mom were stuck working extremely long days during an exercise. They took a pumping break together and when my SIL emerged from wherever she was pumping with over 8oz of milk in under 15 min, the other girl was very impressed. My MIL was the same way and anyone she ever knew who pumped out milk never had trouble so she had a hard time understanding that I had such a hard time with it. I think she got it the day she was visiting and my dh came running excitedly out of the bedroom with almost 4oz of milk that I had pumped saying he had never seen so much milk come out of me with the pump.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM

751 posts, read 2,487,568 times
I nursed my first for about 3 months. I intended to do a year, but that didn't happen. For like a week, my son would only eat for a few minutes and then quit. So I was feeding him like every hour 24 hours a day, but it was never enough. I woke up one morning and felt sick and thought OH MY GOD! I am freaking pregnant again! Bingo! Apparently, being pregnant changed my hormones and made the milk taste gross to him. So that day I immediatly went to 100% formula. He finally ate right again! And no I did not have any issues with the abrupt stopping. I think I pumped a few times for a few days.

Then with my second I stopped around 5 months. He wouldn't sit still long enough because he wanted to be able to see what was going on! Nosy kid! So I had to give him a bottle so he could sit up and watch. I did the pumping thing for another month and gave up.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,146,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I nursed for two full years with both children. Suddenly it seemed they were able to have a full blown intelligent conversation with me, that's when I decided it was time to stop. I was able to stay at home with them.
LOL!!

I BF exclusively for about 9 months for both my kids. I was SAHM (fortunately, can't imagine what a PIA it would have been otherwise!). D stopped at about 20 mos on her own, S was almost 2 1/2 yrs and didn't want to give it up...I was tired!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,239,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
Interesting results. There are some good points here. I've learned that nursing and pumping are an art. What works for some doesn't work for others. But to be successful you have to have support (both at home and at work) and education.

My first goal was six weeks. After that it was when I came back to work at twelve weeks. Now it's six months. But quite honestly it's getting easier with time, so I'm pretty sure I'll make it to a year.

I tell anyone who is having trouble that by the second month it gets easier and each month after that it gets even more easy.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM

904 posts, read 2,881,716 times
I tried to nurse the first but did not have a good support system and the baby had thrush. I gave up after the 3rd day of my mother saying, "He's hungry, you need to give him a bottle." He is now 20 and is the most unhealthy of my 3. I have always wondered if he would be healthier if I had stuck with it.

Learned my lesson with #2 and nursed her for a year.

Fell in love with breastfeeding with #3 and nursed until he quit on his own. He was 2 1/2. When he stopped, I cried.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,166,574 times
With my oldest, I didn't breastfeed. I tried and found it too hard and so I quit.

When #2 was born, I remembered what a hassle it was to lug around bottles, formula, water, etc and so I was determined. When I began, my goal was 2 months. 2 months came and went so I extended it to 6 months. Then 9, and finally I began weaning at 12 months. By 13 months, she was finished and I was joyful.

Both of my kids are amazing and very smart. I do notice, however, that daughter #2 is far more healthy (she has yet to be sick and she is 18 months) and her weight and height are right on target. She also has very smooth, soft skin and thick hair. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with breastfeeding, but it's something I notice.

It is very hard to breastfeed regularly when you go to work. I had a pump with me and while I now stay home full time, I did get called to jury duty which lasted 5 days and had to use my pump during breaks. Luckily there was another mom in my same situation.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,786,814 times
With the twins, I breastfed 6 months exclusively and another month or so mixed with formula (as well as starting solids at 6 months). I was on maternity leave at the time, we lived in Ireland where you get 26 weeks fully paid and another 26 weeks unpaid, if you wish.

This time around (only 12 weeks pregnant yet), I am hoping to breastfeed for a year, starting solids around 6 months and juice around 8 or 9.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,173,588 times
I breastfed all three kids. 6 months for the first, then 5 months, then 4 months.

I took a course on breast feeding at the hospital. I loved how breastfeeding forces you to sit or lie down with the babe against your bare breast.

That said~it hurt like hell all 3 times. Would I do it again~Absolutely.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 PM

50,554 posts, read 64,559,992 times
Only long enough to make sure my premie was up to normal...about 6 weeks. For me, it hurt like crazy and I was not thrilled about having a baby hanging off me constantly. I was ready to share the feeding duties with others at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting