Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long did you breastfeed?
A few weeks 4 5.48%
about 3 months 4 5.48%
3 - 6 months 9 12.33%
6 - 9 months 7 9.59%
9 - 12 months 9 12.33%
One year or longer 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
I had many difficulties with my first child because of him being "tongue-tied". This was very frustrating, because as a new, 23 yr old mom, I even asked the doc and they made it out like you don't do anything about that. It wasn't till months later of he and I passing thrush back and forth that I finally gave up (he was 4 months old, but I had also supplemented). I was a full-time stay at home mom.

DS #2 was easy breezy to breastfeed. I breastfeed exlusively until 8and half months old. I would have done it till the one year mark (my goal) but crisis in my life forced me to leave my children (with their grandparents) for several weeks in order to get my life straightened out, and needless to say I could not pump enough in this time to keep it up.
My Max was tongue-tied too and I didn't know that it was a problem until he was 2 months old!!! I suffered like crazy. I didn't have a life. He was on my breast 24/7. Never really full, because he wasn't sucking as hard as he should have. As a result, I lost a lot of weight due to stress and wasn't producing enough milk. I lasted all and all 5 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM

502 posts, read 1,654,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I do notice, however, that daughter #2 is far more healthy (she has yet to be sick and she is 18 months) and her weight and height are right on target. She also has very smooth, soft skin and thick hair. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with breastfeeding, but it's something I notice.
Same here. That's largely the reason I made a bigger attempt with breastfeeding #2. By the time my oldest was three months old she was diagnosed with acid reflux, eczema, and seasonal allergies. So far my baby's only issue is a sensitivity to cow's milk protein, which I understand is quite normal and usually goes away as their digestive system matures. He already seems to be growing out of it because I'm finally able to eat bit of ice cream without it upsetting him

Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
First...dunno why I clicked this thread, but now that Im here Im curious.

Is it normal for a baby to hate breast milk? My mom said once I refused to nurse with her at all, or drink the milk if she pumped and put it in a bottle.

But..Im 22 now and healthy as a horse.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
My children are 3.5 months old and 3 years old. Both are still nursing.

And I work full-time.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Is it normal for a baby to hate breast milk? My mom said once I refused to nurse with her at all, or drink the milk if she pumped and put it in a bottle.
Um, no, of course it's not normal. I mean, biologically, think about how far the human species (or mammals in general) could have come if mothers could not nurse their young. Bottles and formula are a pretty recent invention in the scheme of things.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Um, no, of course it's not normal. I mean, biologically, think about how far the human species (or mammals in general) could have come if mothers could not nurse their young. Bottles and formula are a pretty recent invention in the scheme of things.

Guess I was born in the right era then...wonder how it came to be that Im as healthy as I am?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:

Guess I was born in the right era then...wonder how it came to be that Im as healthy as I am?

Healthy does not ONLY mean an absence of symptoms.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
I had many difficulties with my first child because of him being "tongue-tied". This was very frustrating, because as a new, 23 yr old mom, I even asked the doc and they made it out like you don't do anything about that. It wasn't till months later of he and I passing thrush back and forth that I finally gave up (he was 4 months old, but I had also supplemented). I was a full-time stay at home mom.

DS #2 was easy breezy to breastfeed. I breastfeed exlusively until 8and half months old. I would have done it till the one year mark (my goal) but crisis in my life forced me to leave my children (with their grandparents) for several weeks in order to get my life straightened out, and needless to say I could not pump enough in this time to keep it up.

I had tongue tied kids too. Of course, I was tongue tied myself... got it 'fixed' when I was sixteen! I didn't understand the connection between breastfeeding problems and tongue-tie though and never thought to "check" when my firstborn had problems. My mom had mentioned me having feeding problems as a result, but I was bottle fed so I never thought much about it and didn't realize it was likely hereditary.

So, he was nursed for about 5 months total, which is good but not what I'd expected or hoped for. I didn't discover the fact that he was tongue tied until he was a year old and had a new pedi who noticed it, then it was a light bulb moment, but too late.

With my second child, knowing what I knew then about tongue tie and having educated myself a LOT about breastfeeding, I had him checked right after he was born and had it "clipped" when he was 2 weeks old. He was nursed long-term (beyond toddlerhood).

Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
It was different for all three of my children. My first I nursed until 3.5 months when I went back to work and was never given enough time at work to pump properly.

My second self weaned at 6.5 months. Nothing I could do woud change him, even pumping exclusively for a month after. He wouldnt go back on the breast.

My third is only 8 weeks old right now but Im hoping to go a year or so. He's a boob man so hopefully we'll meet that target

Quote:

it might not have been her milk you had a hard time with. A lot of infants suffering from reflux will flip out over nursing. A mom who doesnt know what is going on (which is most of us until we start getting a diagnosis) may think that their child hates nursing, when in fact it just may be painful. My son is dealing with bad reflux right now and he does this when the acid is bad. Another thing that can make a baby turn away from the breast is something called Over Supply, which I just found out I may have. The milk comes in too fast and furious for them, causing them to choke, gag, and pull away often in some cases. I had never heard of Oversupply, despite nursing 3 kids now. The only reason I found out about it was that my lil guy started having green bowel movements which Ive never seen in my kids when they were breastfeeding. I googled green poop and breastfed babies and voila, there it was.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
15 mo. with the first one (I was working fulltime, with son in tow) and 2.5 years with the second. Neither wanted to quit, but I was done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting