Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:41 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times

Advertisements

This is not intended to be a rude thread in any way. I have never wanted children, and don't have any, and won't, but would like to ask parents or parents-to-be, why did you want them? Was it so there would be a combination of you and your husband/bf/gf/whatever? So you could teach someone everything you know? Someone to give unconditional love to? Was it just that it was what everyone else was doing, what was expected of you by society? Sorry if this question has already been asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 AM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
I've known that I wanted children since I was a child myself, so societial pressure was certainly not an issue for me! I used to spend hours drawing pictures of my future children and coming up with names for them all, none of which I actually used, however.

Why would people want children? I'm sure it's different for everyone. Having kids is like having an extension of yourself and wearing your heart on the outside of your body instead of inside. At least for me, it isn't so that I can receive unconditional love so much as give it. The love you feel for your children can't be measured and is infinite-- unlike anything else you've ever imagined.

Why do people choose to get married or share their lives with someone else? It's to enhance their lives and make them better. That is why I have children and I would imagine that most other people can say the same.

Why don't YOU want to have children?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 AM

443 posts, read 564,572 times
Since I was very young I had no interest in babies and small children, but fate handed me a child and we took on the task with a lot of trepidition. It was scary and a lot of work, but very rewarding. So, we had 2 more!!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
I had children because it felt natural, it felt right. I too, like an above poster said, dreamt of having children of my own since I was very young. I also thought of names that I would call them. Some people I believe just have that paternal instinct and so it is only natural to want to have a child to nurture. Not everyone has that instinct. I suppose that if you do not have that paternal instinct and you still have a child, you can learn to still love and care for the child, but all to often people don't. Watching the news and hearing stories, it seems that there are to many people having children who shouldn't have.

If you have no desire to have children and the thought of having them does not feel natural, then it is probably for the best that you don't. It doesn't mean that you are less of a person if you are not a parent or don't wish to become one. Like I said, not everyone has that instinct.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 AM

303 posts, read 980,239 times
I was an only child. I had plenty of friends as a child, but "something" was missing.

When I met my dear wife, we ended up with 4 great kids.

NOW I HAVE 9 GRAND KIDS AND LOVING IT!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
I had a happy childhood and it seemed like the natural thing to do. I have to say, I don't think I spent tons of time debating it.....my first child entered the scene a bit earlier than planned but I did find that I enjoyed parenting much more than I expected to.....We have two, sometimes I wish we could have had more but reality and finances said otherwise for us.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I mean no offense but I've always felt that those who DON'T want children spend more time thinking about it than those that do.

For those that do, it's just a natural thing that happens.

For those that don't or didn't want children, kudos to you for knowing ahead of time.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
I also wanted children from a very young age. I couldn't imagine my life without kids, and I am so very thankful to have them!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
why did you want them? Was it so there would be a combination of you and your husband/bf/gf/whatever? So you could teach someone everything you know? Someone to give unconditional love to? Was it just that it was what everyone else was doing, what was expected of you by society? Sorry if this question has already been asked.
It was something my husband & I wanted to add to our meaning of family. It was just a natural progession in our marriage.

The only thing I do wish is that we had more time to travel together prior to children. I was able to do quite a bit of world travel prior to children & when single. I wish I could have done some of that with my husband. Now, priorities & income are on the opposite side of the spectrum.

For everyone, it is different.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Frankly, I think it was primarily because my husband wanted a child. Turns out though, I was absolutely crazy about our son even though I was someone who might not have seen myself as that "maternal" to begin with. I don't know how to put it except that raising him satisfied longings in myself I didn't even realize I had.

Trying to reflect on why it is so satisfying and I'm hard pressed to answer. Just that knowing the love of a child is a life experience that nothing else could match. At least it was for me.

Last edited by kaykay; 04-08-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting