Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM

412 posts, read 940,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
That OB/GYN must have been new to the practice to make that kind of statement. There are plenty of people who regret becoming a parent or getting pregnant and it is proof when you see so many children up for adoption, or dumped and discarded like trash, or beaten to death, or aborted. Not everyone who get's pregnant wants to raise that child after it is born or go through the pregnancy in the first place.
This advice was directed toward people who are on the fence about having kids. I assume that most children that are put up for adoption, dumped, abused, aborted, etc. were "accidents," and the parents never really put much thought into their kids.

I would never do anything like that to my kids. I'm concerned about things like feeling depressed or like my life was better before the kid came along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 AM

10 posts, read 30,520 times
Default Childfont

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
This is not intended to be a rude thread in any way. I have never wanted children, and don't have any, and won't, but would like to ask parents or parents-to-be, why did you want them? Was it so there would be a combination of you and your husband/bf/gf/whatever? So you could teach someone everything you know? Someone to give unconditional love to? Was it just that it was what everyone else was doing, what was expected of you by society? Sorry if this question has already been asked.
Their was a time when i used to hate kids . But after few years of my marriage i discovered that a spiritual element was missing from my life . Then i did a research and i found that it was a incomplete mother and father . Then we decided to have a child and now we are living happily with two kids .

Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
to please my folks she just informed me she ok without kids i am very very happy now. im off the hook.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,849,582 times
I think there are times when a woman loves the baby but when he or she grows up the mother gets tired of the responsibility or gets annoyed with it. I know someone who always, always complained about the cooking, cleaning, whatever was connected to having a family. I would never want to make my children feel guilty that way, guilty for just being around and needing basic things. I have a feeling many mothers are dishonest about wanting their children or not, because they look like bad people if they say they regret bringing them into the world.

The world emphasizes how cute babies are, and a lot of women get into decorating the nursery and getting all the shower presents and attention. However, later on as the child gets older it can be not-so-pretty. All of a sudden you have a toddler and it's up to you to take care of his or her life, and that can't be easy. It makes sense that at that point a lot of new moms end up disappointed because life isn't the way it appeared on TV.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,702,691 times
Honestly thought it would be cool to have someone looking just like you looking at you as a hero and wanting to be like you and truly value what you say and being at your side. Also thought it would be great to have someone calling you Dad or Mom the rest of your life, as its an honor to be called that.

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 05-04-2009 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,440,740 times
"Honestly thought it would be cool to have someone looking just like you looking at you as a hero and wanting to be like you and truly value what you say and being at your side."

But what would you do when the kid gets to first grade? (I hear that's when "I feel like a god" ends).

Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM

412 posts, read 940,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Honestly thought it would be cool to have someone looking just like you looking at you as a hero and wanting to be like you and truly value what you say and being at your side. Also thought it would be great to have someone calling you Dad or Mom the rest of your life, as its an honor to be called that.
Do you have kids? I don't, but I just assumed that the "hero" stage wouldn't last very long! After that, you're lucky if they'll even still call you "Mom" and "Dad."

Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 PM

275 posts, read 708,428 times
I can't imagine a time in my life when I didn't want children. My husband knew from the moment he met me that I wanted kids. The only real discussion between us was when and how many. We are expecting a little boy in August, and I gave birth to a little boy two years ago, but he sadly passed away. So, I know how badly I want to be a mom and how much love we have to give to our children. My brother, on the other hand, didn't want ANY children and ended up with 3. He never wanted kids, but now can't imagine a single day without them. LOL.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:15 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,702,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Honestly thought it would be cool to have someone looking just like you looking at you as a hero and wanting to be like you and truly value what you say and being at your side."

But what would you do when the kid gets to first grade? (I hear that's when "I feel like a god" ends).
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
Do you have kids? I don't, but I just assumed that the "hero" stage wouldn't last very long! After that, you're lucky if they'll even still call you "Mom" and "Dad."
Yeah my boys are in 2nd and 4th grades and they are still my little shadows. Its good and bad, depending on my mood and the timing.

But you are right, kids definitly go thru different stages.

And girls call their Dads "daddy" all their lives, so I always thought that would have been nice.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:40 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,515,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
OK, I found the exact quote on someone's blog. The doctor did say that she rarely sees patients that regretted becoming a mother.

Question: "The clock is ticking, but I'm not sure I want a child—yet I worry that if I don't have one, I'll regret it when it's too late.
Answer: There are parts of life where you can compromise, but not here: You either have a child or don't. The fear of regretting that you didn't have a child is not the best reason to have one. That said, rarely have I seen a patient who regretted becoming a mother, because once the baby is in the world, the woman loves it. Usually, the woman wants to be a parent and it's her spouse who isn't sure; he goes along with it because he listens to her fear of regret. Yet when the baby is born, he doesn't regret it either; he loves it, too. On the other hand, I have had patients who've regretted not having children. The good news is, there are so many ways you can rectify that, including adoption and IVF." - Dr. Gail Saltz.
I take that as bull because if someone says they hate children and cannot stand them everyone jumps down their throat. It has happen to me on this forum and I do not have kid. Now imagine the backlash a couple would get if they had a kid and realized it was a mistake. Pertaining to the man alone I also take that as bull. Tons of guys out there miss life without children some voice their opinion and some just try to put on a brave face. To say people who have a child rarely regretted is ridiculous I am sure they are not the majority but I am also sure they are not the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting