Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,208,155 times

Advertisements

The wife and I had children because we wanted to have a complete family with the responsibililties, joys, and sorrows that make most families stronger over the years as a unit. We didn't want the sorrows but that is part of life and we grew closer as a family because of some of the tests we faced.
We watched our kids grow and turn out to be good people. Now we have the pleasure of watching our grandchildren grow and carrying on the family name after me and grandma are long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,715,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I take that as bull because if someone says they hate children and cannot stand them everyone jumps down their throat. It has happen to me on this forum and I do not have kid. Now imagine the backlash a couple would get if they had a kid and realized it was a mistake. Pertaining to the man alone I also take that as bull. Tons of guys out there miss life without children some voice their opinion and some just try to put on a brave face. To say people who have a child rarely regretted is ridiculous I am sure they are not the majority but I am also sure they are not the minority.
All I can say is be glad the internet exists so that you CAN be honest and say what you mean or feel and that all that does happen to you is some stranger typing at you. Sure is better than some real life incident, isn't it.

I may not agree with your views, but they are yours and flaming someone on the internet is not only pointless but a waste of time typing it.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,539,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
All I can say is be glad the internet exists so that you CAN be honest and say what you mean or feel and that all that does happen to you is some stranger typing at you. Sure is better than some real life incident, isn't it.

I may not agree with your views, but they are yours and flaming someone on the internet is not only pointless but a waste of time typing it.
My point was that there is a stigma around people who dislike children. Internet forum or reality you say you do not like children people will find that taboo so I can only imagine what it's like for people who have children just to find out that it's not what they really want. Think about the backlash they would get from friends,family, and community if they tell people "Oh i'm thinking of giving up timmy he is just too difficult to care for" . So to say it is rare that people regret having children I do not believe that.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM

13 posts, read 30,170 times
My husband and I didn't originally plan on having kids. We got married young, and it was just the two of us for 9 years. The idea gradually grew that we would like to have maybe one kid. Then when we finally agreed we had our first. Then 4 years later it felt right to have another. As far as the why- there are so many reasons. I think a major factor is biology- it's in our genes to want children, or to want to care for them after they come along, all our ancestors did or we wouldn't be here.
They are amazing, they enrich our lives and I can't imagine not having my two little guys. They don't worship me, never have beyond the tiny baby stage (and who knows what they were thinking then- maybe just "food, now!". I don't need to be worshipped by my kids- that is what I have dogs for
There is nothing more wonderful or special than a great big hug, or the poem my son wrote for Mothers Day. But then there are the times when one of them causes the other to shriek in anger by repeating everything the first one says until we are all driven to distraction. That's when I can see why some people might not want kids.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,584,508 times
I wonder how many people "want" children because they have thought of a cute name, and want to call somebody that. I think a lot of people have pets for the same reason. The number of people who seem to lose interest in their children (or pets) when they are no longer babies is quite frightening. This mostly applies to mothers.

A lot of other people have children because they are control freaks, and need to be surrounded by a cadre of underlings that they can command. This mostly applies to fathers.

So, a man who is a control freak and a woman who likes to write cute names and dot the I's with little hearts is a pretty scary combination.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
Default Don't

Don't have kids. All they do is break your heart. After sacrificing everything I wanted in life, college, money, time, to give my daughter everything I could afford. Now she is mad at me and says I never did anything for her. That I was a bad mother, and she wishes she had a different mother. So don't have kids. All you'll end up with is a broken heart.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,245,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadinFl View Post
Don't have kids. All they do is break your heart. After sacrificing everything I wanted in life, college, money, time, to give my daughter everything I could afford. Now she is mad at me and says I never did anything for her. That I was a bad mother, and she wishes she had a different mother. So don't have kids. All you'll end up with is a broken heart.

There are too many "I's" in this paragraph for you to really be a parent

Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM

443 posts, read 569,059 times
If someone doesnt want to have children--great! They are saving some future child a lot of grief. Its good to be able to recognize that maybe you are not cut out to have child. Its not as if its anyone's business, there are plenty of children being born every day.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,112,526 times
I always wanted to be a parent, and when I married my husband I couldn't imagine not bringing new life into the world together. We now have two children. There is nothing like seeing the world through your kids' eyes. Yes, children turn your life upside-down, but the view from here is great.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM

412 posts, read 944,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadinFl View Post
Aww, I think most kids go through a stage like this. Some last longer than others, of course. Hopefully she's just going through a bad time and will come out of it appreciating what you did for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting