Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 AM

30,706 posts, read 80,407,478 times

Advertisements

Duct tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I was wondering what is the most effective and creative method that you have used to discipline your children besides spanking or time outs? Be creative! I hope my question is not confusing. I'm just curious because when I become a parent I want to do more than to shape my child's behavior I want to shape her heart. I believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Let me hear your idea/examples!

Why creative? Why not effective? It does not seem like you want to discuss discipline but punishment. I suggest you rethink your definition of discipline. From the ground up.

Discipline for Life : Getting it Right with Children: Madelyn Swift: 9781887069069: Amazon.com: Books

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk: Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish: 9781451663884: Amazon.com: Books

Positive Discipline: Jane Nelsen Ed.D.: 9780345487674: Amazon.com: Books

Is a good start to resetting traditional punishment reward and start thinking about what is going on in your kids' heads.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM

190 posts, read 394,672 times
I was traditional, for the most part, with my daughter and son. When they were younger and would fight I'd make them hug or sit on the couch holding hands until I said they could stop. Only had to do that a couple of times...worked like a charm! When they got older it was take away the cell phone or house phone from my daughter and video games from my son when necessary. As for my daughter, just the thought of having to ride the bus once she got her driver's license was moritfying enough to tow the line! Once when my son tried to play the old, "we had a sub today so we didn't get our report card" game he learned real fast that it was a one time only play. Day 1, I believed him, day 2, I didn't but let him think I did. Day 3 I had it faxed to me from school. When he tried to explain why he didn't have it, the look on his little 13 year old face was priceless when I told him I had it already. Punishment...no video games of any kind for 6 weeks. Result...grades turned completely around and I never had to resort to that tactic again. I love it when a plan comes together!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,865,015 times
Once when my daughter was about 5 she was being incredibly annoying and selfish when it came to sharing with her little brother, something she had been put on time out over many times before but she kept it up anyway.

So finally one day I just lost it. I got a big box and removed every.single.toy of hers out of her room and the rest of the house. EVERYTHING I could find went away. She was hysterical.

Then I told her she would have to earn them back one by one. And if I caught her being a little pain with her brother again we'd start all over. It took her 3 weeks to get it all back.

She's 9 now and hasn't been a big discipline problem ever since. I think she still has a sense of not quite knowing what I'll do. LOL

Now her brother on the other hand is as hard headed as they come. I still haven't cracked the code with that one. I'll take any suggestions y'all got. Heh.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:42 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,353,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I was wondering what is the most effective and creative method that you have used to discipline your children besides spanking or time outs? Be creative! I hope my question is not confusing. I'm just curious because when I become a parent I want to do more than to shape my child's behavior I want to shape her heart. I believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Let me hear your idea/examples!
Tie old tires to their piercings.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,984,433 times
My mom used "creative threatening" to diffuse frustration. "If you don't stop whining right this instant, I'll hunt down a beehive and stick you head first into it." "Stop making excuses and do your homework now, or I will cover your feet in mayo and make you use your toes to write that essay!"

It would get me laughing at the absurdity of it, which usually would calm me down.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My mom used "creative threatening" to diffuse frustration. "If you don't stop whining right this instant, I'll hunt down a beehive and stick you head first into it." "Stop making excuses and do your homework now, or I will cover your feet in mayo and make you use your toes to write that essay!"

It would get me laughing at the absurdity of it, which usually would calm me down.
LOL! Definitely a good tool to throw in the toolbox. When you, like me because I have no known sense of humor or at least not one anyone else can understand, overuse it, it still works because they roll their eyes in exasperation.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,575,697 times
When my kids would fight, I made them hug each other and sing a song, "Love at home". They stopped fighting in front of me, and if I thought they were fighting, I would ask them, and they would swear that they were not fighting...because they KNEW the "punishment".

Complain about the food? Fine, you can go hungry. They never did that again.

I had a huge Lazy Boy in the living room, it was gigantic, that was the "dreaded time out" chair. It was not a hard stool, but, it served the same purpose. I don't know why people make time out so miserable.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
BRIT--i was like you, wanting to be creative. i was convinced that i would have such a bond with my child that i would just look him in the eyes, and he would realize just what he needed to do. that i would speak to him softly and he would listen and obey.
then he was born and lo and behold---he has his own agenda--lol
kids dont "get it". its repeat and repeat---and takes the patience of Job!!!! most days i just want to hide in my closet until nap time.
Yeah, I was the perfect parent until I had kids also.

I do believe in looking the child in the eyes, but to read his soul and then realize what was needed.

Actually that's how you can tell if you shouldn't spank a child, there are some who will defy you to do it and then tell you it didn't hurt at all. You have discipline according to the child you have -- there is no one-size fits all when it comes to raising children.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,183,175 times
Well, my mother had the eye. She could shoot us the eye one time and whatever we were doing, we would stop in our tracks. Done. It was over.

Note: the only way she had this power was because we knew what was behind the eye if we didn't straighten up. I don't ever remember my mother spanking us but that is because she did it when we were toddlers and she never needed to do it again.

We don't spank bc my husband is all philosophical about childrearing and doesn't want to do so but I often question that judgment because our kid is very, very strong-willed (as are his mother and father). I have told my husband that if the distraction method doesn't work and time out doesn't work after he is a bit older and can understand it, I'm resorting to what works. I won't have a boy bigger than me out of hand in my house. If I don't reign him in, the world will. I hope distraction and time out works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting