Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Marge Simpson found a book "How to Discipline the Modern Child", and threatened to delete an aghast Bart's ringtones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Default you are so right about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we have been creative for 40 years. incredibly creative. the result is a very large crop of aggressive ill behaved orangutans .
if you whoopem at 8 you wont have to shootem at 18.
amen and that is why our generation now has quite a few in jail because parents are too busy trying to be their kids friend instead of their parent .

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
amen and that is why our generation now has quite a few in jail because parents are too busy trying to be their kids friend instead of their parent .
Phonelady61, you're still trying to propagate your spanking agenda in a creative discipline topic? What's creative about spanking? You never answered my question in the spanking thread about requesting facts for your opinions? Probably because there are none - just more unsubstantiated opinions.

I could easily say - and just as warrantless as your opinion above - it's because of close-minded, apathetic, physical violence-loving people that so many children are in jail. Statements like that just cause more divisiveness, don't they?

It is possible to parent while providing kind, firm, loving discipline without raising one's hand.

Seems like the intent of the OP was to gather alternatives to spanking and time-outs.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM

378 posts, read 772,256 times
I'm not sure why you need to be creative...you need to be firm and consistent. Personally, I don't believe in spanking, but I do believe in getting them where it hurts. Which means, I take away the things they really really like. In our case, it's Wii and ds. It could be something else for your kids. I also believe in time-outs, especially for little kids, minutes based on age (5yr-5min), since they need to sit quietly and ponder.

The key is being consistent and having a unified front with your spouse. Otherwise, nothing creative or not will work.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
We try to practice logical and natural consequences. Natural consequences, so long as they are not too dangerous, are easy as far as "creativity" because you just let happen what will. Things like, child refuses to wear her jacket, then she will be cold. Logical consequences could be used for times when the natural consequence would be dangerous (ie running into the street results in getting hit by a car) or other times when you prefer, and these can require some creativity, at least more creativity than is required of a spank or time-out. In the above case, we say that she can either hold our hand outside or else we will carry her if she cannot be trusted not to run into the street. It is a restriction of freedom, like a time-out is, but it is taylored to the specific situation, and it also lasts longer than a time-out, because a time-out is a one-time thing, and this lasts until we give her a chance to let us trust her walking by herself again. Most importantly, the discipline is related to the infraction. That's not to say that we never use time-outs. They have their place within our system of discipline, but they are not the "go-to" solution for everything.

I remember being very struck by the differences between my mom and dad's discipline style (divorced) as a kid/teen. My mom was all about time-out, which as a child gets older is the same as being grounded. My dad was more of a logical consequences guy. At my mom's house, anything I did wrong, I got grounded, whether it was something like eat an extra piece of candy when I wasn't supposed to or forget to clean out the cat litter, or something like sneak my boyfriend into the house when my parents weren't home. The only difference was how long I was grounded for and which things I was grounded from (going out, TV, computer, music, etc.). Her punishments were never related to the crime though, and were never really effective because it just wasn't that big of a deal to me - I knew I could just wait out my time. She punishes my sisters the same way still, and just as I could see it from the child's perspective, I can also now see from an adult's perspective that it is not very effective or meaningful as a form of punishment. At my dad's house, however, it was very different. His punishments were specific to the infraction and were effective. The "best" punishment I got was when I came home late for curfew. At my mom's house, I would have been grounded for a week maybe and not been able to go out the next weekend. At my dad's house, I wasn't grounded at all, but my new curfew was now an hour earlier. Permanently. And I was never late again. THAT was a very effective punishment, and a great example of using logical consequences instead of arbitrary ones. Even then, I knew that that was how I would discipline with my own kids, not the way my mom did things.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
When I saw the one about the low voice I had to laugh. My son will tell you they had to decide if they were going to run for their lives or quiver with fear when I or hubby got the "silent but deadly" tone.

We done the negotiation thing...I'd ask how many times I had to asked them to do something before they did it and I promised not to get mad until they had surpassed the limit. They thought that was pretty cool until they learned they were doing what I said anyway.

Sassing? When they started "telling" me what to do, they'd get.."Are you asking me or telling me?" They learned quickly, that telling me wasn't a good idea.

Your thought process is in the right place but understand that no one way works on every kid....ages matter too.

Just be firm, consistant and fair and you'll do fine.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
Phonelady61, you're still trying to propagate your spanking agenda in a creative discipline topic? What's creative about spanking? You never answered my question in the spanking thread about requesting facts for your opinions? Probably because there are none - just more unsubstantiated opinions.

I could easily say - and just as warrantless as your opinion above - it's because of close-minded, apathetic, physical violence-loving people that so many children are in jail. Statements like that just cause more divisiveness, don't they?

It is possible to parent while providing kind, firm, loving discipline without raising one's hand.

Seems like the intent of the OP was to gather alternatives to spanking and time-outs.
Wouldn't this be considered a personal attack? Sounds like passive agressive is, in your opinion, a better and more creative method.

A quick swat on the behind brings the attention right back to where it's supposed to be. Spanking has it's place.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Wouldn't this be considered a personal attack?
No, I'm not sure how it could be construed as one either. If you want to see personal attacks you should see the Political forum.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times
1. natural consequences
2. remove what they love
3. lead by example

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,633 times
I'm not creative just consistent and firm... seems to work so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting