Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,002,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I moved out when I was 18 and so did my sister. We both went to college and did just fine.
Kids grow up at different rates and paces. Some kids are very motivated, they'll work long hours, pay their own rent and bills and tuition, books and supplies, buy their own cars and pay their auto insurance. Others expect the parent to pay for everything.

I didn't move out at 18 but I put myself through college and one way my parents helped was to let me stay at home rent-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
Words of inspiration. I know my daughter and I need more positives also. Life is so hard with a teenage daughter for sure. I'm going through the battle right now. Please everybody tell me it gets easier. Whew

Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM

22,872 posts, read 48,221,624 times
Sorry... it doesn't get easier; it just gets different.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,596,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sorry... it doesn't get easier; it just gets different.
It does get different but also way easier in my opinion.

Just reread some of my own posts from this very old thread, and remembered stuff that was going on at the time.

It all resolved, my DD grew up, finished college, married....we talk every day and get along very well.

Hang in there!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,715,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
Hi, I'm new here and have read a few posts about the teenage drama. Mine wants to move out as soon as she turns 18 next summer. She makes it clear she can't stand it here. I have trouble being nice to her as I am hurt and offended that she finds it so difficult to be a part of our family. She will still have a year of HS and we won't let her leave until after her senior year. By then maybe she will realize how import college is, but in the meantime, she really thinks she's leaving. She thinks being 18 will be her ticket to do as she wishes with no rules of which she really has very few already. Just to check in and be home by a certain time. I have a hard time reacting to her without being as sarcastic and snotty as she is so I try not to be around her or interfer with her as much as possible. She shares nothing with me. She has a better relationship with her dad. Should I continue to try to stay clear unitl she is ready to be more appreciative of all she has?
BTW she has a twin brother who is a homebody, chats, and spends time with us. Just the opposite of our daughter!
Will she really grow up someday and be civil?
Thanks
Is she going to college? Then yes, she WILL be leaving next year. Yes, she will probably grow up and be a delightful, civil human being. I remember screaming the same thing to my mother when I was 16/17 -- "I cannot WAIT until I am 18 and can move out!!!" My mother's response: "Neither can I!" :-) Well, guess what, 18 rolls around and you're getting ready to go off to college . . . and then home starts to look pretty darn good. And after college, when she's looking for a job, a few weeks turns into a few months . . . and then she's getting married, there's no sense in moving out just for a few months . . . :-)

It's a stage she's going through, trying to create her own identity away from her family (especially if she has a twin -- that often makes the identity issue even stronger.) Try not to let her hurt your feelings -- demand courtesy as a member of the family community, but try not to tell her what she should or should not be thinking or doing. Just state the expectations, and if they are too onerous -- well, darn, no cell phone, too bad, so sad. No car privileges, too bad, so sad.

And it may just be that she is one of those that has to learn in the College of Hard Knocks -- a couple of years of being broke and unemployable can be a valuable learning experience. At that point, it's out of your hands.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,104,883 times
The OP was written 5 years ago.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,687,968 times
it could be an expression of an underlying insecurity. You as her mom are an easy target to vent off on.. people are strange like that it seems. vent off on the ones that love you the most.. at that age anyways. something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting