Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times

Advertisements

My lease is up when May starts and I'm moving to a different town and school will still be in session for another month.

Should i use the apartment address in the town i am in now and let her still go to school there to finish up the school year here with her friends or should i just put her into the new school where it will be harder since it's the ending of the school year?

Will it be a shock for her?
Is it really that big of a deal?
The new town is a lot different then where we're moving from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,558,147 times
If you can let her finish where she's at, that would probably be for the best. It's so close...

How does she feel about the move? She'll pick up a lot from you on that. We moved last year with a 6 year old son, and he did famously, though we did move him in the middle of the year (February).

~D

Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
It depends on your child, but I think letting her finish the year where she is will be best. Most school districts will allow you to do this even if you've moved.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I'd finish out the year.

We spent a week and a half driving 40 minutes to school (and then 40 min back, twice daily) from temporary lodging at the beginning of a school year. Not exactly the same, but kind of close. It was a bit of a pain but worth it.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
I would either have her finish at her current school, or just pull her out early and not put her in the new school until the Fall. However, I'm not sure on your state's rules. In Arizona, we don't have to put them in school until the age of 8, so it doesn't really matter. I have thought about this issue previously, and it is what I would do. Another family in our school, with a 6 and 7 y.o., are doing exactly this, as their military orders are due at the beginning of May. As the mother stated, "It's not going to matter much at this age to start summer break a couple weeks early."

Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
My lease is up when May starts and I'm moving to a different town and school will still be in session for another month.

Should i use the apartment address in the town i am in now and let her still go to school there to finish up the school year here with her friends or should i just put her into the new school where it will be harder since it's the ending of the school year?

Will it be a shock for her?
Is it really that big of a deal?
The new town is a lot different then where we're moving from.
Give me a break. I went to 14 different schools between grades 1 - 12. It was a great way to learn how to make friends and fit in fast! LOL

If you use the old apartment address you will be lying. That is not a very good lesson to teach a 6 year old. IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2009, 01:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Kids BOND with the kids they are currently with...let the kid finish the schoolyear with the kids they bonded with!

To move to another group of kids who have already bonded, the new kid on the last month will just suffer through it, unable to break into the tightknit groups that have already developed.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Even IF you move a month before the LAST month and use your "new" address the school will very likely still let your daughter finish out the year. I've done it before. They do make exceptions for a short amount of time.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 AM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times
If you can make the drive to get her to her old school, I would. It's only a month. I would not put her in a new school at the end of the year. I would move her to a new school in August. You could check to see if she would get credit for the semester and moved to the next grade if you pulled her out and didn't enroll her in school until Fall. In high school, she would lose all her semester credits, but I don't know how it works in elementary school.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I am going to put a different spin on this, I say move her to the new school for the last month. She will meet friends from her new school and have kids to play with over the summer. It will be a long, long summer for a 6 year old that doesn't know anyone. Most likely the old school will let her stay in class there if you want without issue but I say let her meet some kids at the new school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting