Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,855,137 times

Advertisements

I have one son, and we used a male babysitter for several years. We have moved away, or we would still use him. Our son really liked him. they were "buds" together. He wasn't the cleanest babysitter, LOL... but he was a ton of fun for my son and that was more important to me than cleaning up the dishes.

And I would have let him babysit my daughter if I had one....

shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,935,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
food for thought:
My wife as a child was molested by her older cousin. So being family doesn't stop it.
I realize that. Him being a cousin isn't what qualifies him, it's just what makes him accessible so that I've gotten to know him well. His behavior is what qualifies him. Behavior is also what disqualifies a nephew or two of mine.

I would love to say that boy/girl it doesn't matter. But the truth of the matter is everyday, kids are abused by people and all anybody can say is, "He's the last person I would think would do something like this. He was such a nice guy." I have nothing personal against all the boys out there who want to babysit and are good at it. And I feel bad for the ones who get a bad wrap because of their gender and the bombardment of horrible stories we hear. But as a mother of two girls, I feel I have the right to err on the side of caution and not even put them in a situation where I have to be the one to say, "but he seemed like such a nice kid." I think if I had sons, I would be just as cautious. I don't want to judge on gender, but it's a definate factor.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 AM

370 posts, read 1,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
And I feel bad for the ones who get a bad wrap because of their gender and the bombardment of horrible stories we hear. But as a mother of two girls, I feel I have the right to err on the side of caution and not even put them in a situation where I have to be the one to say, "but he seemed like such a nice kid." I think if I had sons, I would be just as cautious. I don't want to judge on gender, but it's a definate factor.
You just contradicted yourself so hard.

This isn't THAT big of a deal, but Jesus you people are sexist even when you try not to be

Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM

491 posts, read 750,616 times
Quote:
I realize that. Him being a cousin isn't what qualifies him, it's just what makes him accessible so that I've gotten to know him well. His behavior is what qualifies him. Behavior is also what disqualifies a nephew or two of mine.

I would love to say that boy/girl it doesn't matter. But the truth of the matter is everyday, kids are abused by people and all anybody can say is, "He's the last person I would think would do something like this. He was such a nice guy." I have nothing personal against all the boys out there who want to babysit and are good at it. And I feel bad for the ones who get a bad wrap because of their gender and the bombardment of horrible stories we hear. But as a mother of two girls, I feel I have the right to err on the side of caution and not even put them in a situation where I have to be the one to say, "but he seemed like such a nice kid." I think if I had sons, I would be just as cautious. I don't want to judge on gender, but it's a definate factor.
You also feel you have the right to be sexist. Are you absolutely sure that the male will and the female won't molest? The fact is you are judging by gender if on purpose or not.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 PM

491 posts, read 750,616 times
Yes, it is weird (In my eyes, not stating facts, mere feelings and opinions) when a man would want to spend time with children that are not part of his family.

That is the point you are stating opinions not facts. Why can't a guy just like kids without him being seen with creepy. If you opened up your mind you may see this. I understand if you have kids you want to protect them but this is just being paranoid.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,847 times
after all males have to pay some thing for bieng a boy

that is what we are doing

we dont have dignity

Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,208,259 times
Quote:
But as a mother of two girls, I feel I have the right to err on the side of caution and not even put them in a situation where I have to be the one to say, "but he seemed like such a nice kid." I think if I had sons, I would be just as cautious. I don't want to judge on gender, but it's a definate factor.
So I'm wondering what would your plan be if you had one boy and one girl?

We have had both male and female babysitters. The best one was male, but most of the girls were pretty decent. The worst one was also male-- though he wasn't bad, just an incredible slob. I don't know what to draw from all that.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:41 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,208,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Yes, it is weird (In my eyes, not stating facts, mere feelings and opinions) when a man would want to spend time with children that are not part of his family.
It pays better than yard work, and a lot of the time involves nothing more strenuous than sitting and watching TV or doing homework after the kids are in bed. Often there're free snacks. Not a bad gig, for a teenager.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,954,244 times
This thread made me want to cry.

I find it very interesting that people find men who want to work with children creepy, or otherwise suspect. Do any of you have children that play sports? Are their coaches male? Do you find them suspect?

I have a 15 year old son who would babysit in a heartbeat. He coaches football and lacrosse and the younger boys (10 year olds) really love having him around. Instead of running laps he takes them on "cross country" runs through the wooded area of the park. He makes drills into games and is just a whole lot more lighthearted than the adult coaches. It really saddens me that people think that just because he is a boy who enjoys teaching and coaching other boys there is something wrong with him.

My so will be a fabulous father and is a good role model for younger boys. It is appalling that people would think he automatically has something wrong with him simply because he is a male who enjoys kids.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,074,259 times
Why do boys and men have that stigma attached to them by so many women? What about your sons and husbands? Are they all perverts and molesters? Can't they be trusted to have friendships with girls or women without sex being involved? Can't you leave your son in the same house as your daughter without you being in constant eyesight of them both? Aren't your daughters safe being alone with their father?

Say you carpool. You have a son and daughter and the family you carpool with has a daughter. Say your husband is doing the driving because you couldn't and has to deliver the other girl to her home before bringing your kids home. Are those two young girls not safe with your husband and son? Should the parent of the other girl suspect your husband and son of deviant behavior while she was in the car with them?

Do any of you understand how absolutely ridiculous you sound when you think you need to take "extra precautions", etc. when it comes to a male babysitter? A boy babysitting is no more dangerous than a girl. PERIOD.

Boys and men are people too. Not monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting