Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,487 times

Advertisements

[quote=miasmommy;6399261]I would NEVER leave my kid with a male unless it was a family member or close friend I had known for years. However, I would allow a female based on references (close of course) and meeting and background check. It is just a fact that males commit more sexual crimes against YOUNG children.[/quote]

your sure about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Wow. This whole thread is truly one of the most depressing I've read on this board. Not trusting males with kids.
Wow.
i guess we're just the sperm donors. the animal world has it right.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,233,142 times
[quote=nrfitchett4;6446708]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I would NEVER leave my kid with a male unless it was a family member or close friend I had known for years. However, I would allow a female based on references (close of course) and meeting and background check. It is just a fact that males commit more sexual crimes against YOUNG children.[/quote]

your sure about that?

yes, I am sure about that. There are more male sexual preditors than female for YOUNG children. I can't say for sure with the older kids.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,957,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
that's funny, we fired a female babysitter for having her boyfriend over.
It's amazing how sexist this country still is.
Ditto.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I would NEVER leave my kid with a male unless it was a family member or close friend I had known for years. However, I would allow a female based on references (close of course) and meeting and background check. It is just a fact that males commit more sexual crimes against YOUNG children.
And you do realize that a family member or close friend is way more likely to molest your kid than a babysitter who happens to be male, right? Take a look at the chart here

Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute

According to virtually all of the data I've scene (I minored in psychology--particularly male adolescent pyschology-- in college); male child molesters are overwhelmingly more likely to choose a family member to molest than a child in their care/stranger/neighbor. Sadly, most will target a biological child or step/foster child.

Interestingly, female child molesters will most often target a male stranger--I don't have that reference, but can find it.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,233,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
And you do realize that a family member or close friend is way more likely to molest your kid than a babysitter who happens to be male, right? Take a look at the chart here

Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute

According to virtually all of the data I've scene (I minored in psychology--particularly male adolescent pyschology-- in college); male child molesters are overwhelmingly more likely to choose a family member to molest than a child in their care/stranger/neighbor. Sadly, most will target a biological child or step/foster child.

Interestingly, female child molesters will most often target a male stranger--I don't have that reference, but can find it.
Ok, that just proves my point even more!

I'm also not about to say my husband or father can't watch the kids because of numbers, whether they are true or not.

If listening to my heart means I am sexist so be it

Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 AM

370 posts, read 1,017,340 times
Quote:
It does

Old 12-06-2008, 02:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,289,082 times
I think saying a female babysitter is better than a male babysitter is as silly as saying the mother is always the better parent over the father. Each person and situation is different. Mom's have to weigh out a whole lot of factors before choosing someone to watch their children, but just assuming there aren't a whole lot of young teen males out there who would make wonderful babysitters is wrong.

When my youngest son was 16 last summer, he baby sat evenings for his 15 month old nephew. Other than having to wrap his face in a towel after spraying it with room freshener in order to be able to change a stinky diaper , both he and the baby really enjoyed their time together. My son is still the baby's favorite person....and he seems to be able to get the baby to sleep when no one else can with the aide of an IPod full of baby songs he put together.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think saying a female babysitter is better than a male babysitter is as silly as saying the mother is always the better parent over the father. Each person and situation is different. Mom's have to weigh out a whole lot of factors before choosing someone to watch their children, but just assuming there aren't a whole lot of young teen males out there who would make wonderful babysitters is wrong.

When my youngest son was 16 last summer, he baby sat evenings for his 15 month old nephew. Other than having to wrap his face in a towel after spraying it with room freshener in order to be able to change a stinky diaper , both he and the baby really enjoyed their time together. My son is still the baby's favorite person....and he seems to be able to get the baby to sleep when no one else can with the aide of an IPod full of baby songs he put together.
Aww, that is very sweet

Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,073 times
Quote:
="If not voting for spades makes me racist, so be it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting