Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,052,358 times

Advertisements

ya, ya'll are probably shaking your heads at the title....but really, Im just curious on what most people are paying/recieving for child support in comprision to where we're at....
a bit a background...
i was married, we had a child, the marriage was terrible and thankfully over within 2 yrs...
I asked for and obtained full custody of our daughter. She was 2. I was tryingto be nice (dunno why) but started out actually only asking for 75.00month for child support. total. well, he threw a few, saying it was his money,and if she wasnt living w/him, he wasnt going to "waste his good money on her" ya, nice guy...so anyhow, long story short, after a LONG time, the courts finally set child support at 200.00month. He doesnt pay any insurance or anything. Just the 200.00month. Well, WHEN he pays that is. He's been jailed several times and had his licence removed because hes so far in arrears. He's also taken us to court because he thinks its unfair for him to have to pay CS. he actually hasnt paid for awhile again now...sigh...
so anyhow, we've never raised it, she is 14 now....im curious, what are most people averaging for CS for this age?? Is this 200.00 unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM

746 posts, read 2,177,295 times
That sounds like a fair amount. It is based on a percentage of his income at the time of the court hearing for child support.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:14 PM

107 posts, read 398,472 times
Maybe this will help.....

Division of Child Support - Child Support Guidelines Calculator: Effective 10/1/07 (http://dcs.state.or.us/calculator/effective/ - broken link)

Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,875,118 times
I think $200. is a joke. Like $200. a month covers anything for a 14 year old. In two years that child will be driving and car insurance alone will cost that or more. He should pay it and be grateful that that is all he is required to do. Raising a child is far more than writing a check. That is the very least he should do.

My ex is required to pay $1700. per month for two kids. Of course he hasn't paid that amount in over 7 months. Now he is taking me back to court to lower it. I offered him a reduction in Jan. and he was to stupid or arrogant to accept a reasonable reduction since our oldest has now graduated from high school. Now we must both pay lawyers and drag the kids through a court battle again. This is the fifth time. It is all so stupid. I don't understand why men or women like this just don't want to support their kids. My ex has the money. He is just to selfish to care about his children's well being.

Sorry for the rant. I have had it with dead beat parents and parents who can't or won't take care of their kids. If you can't or won't do what is necessary to raise a child, you shouldn't have them.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,454,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I think $200. is a joke. Like $200. a month covers anything for a 14 year old. In two years that child will be driving and car insurance alone will cost that or more. He should pay it and be grateful that that is all he is required to do. Raising a child is far more than writing a check. That is the very least he should do.

My ex is required to pay $1700. per month for two kids. Of course he hasn't paid that amount in over 7 months. Now he is taking me back to court to lower it. I offered him a reduction in Jan. and he was to stupid or arrogant to accept a reasonable reduction since our oldest has now graduated from high school. Now we must both pay lawyers and drag the kids through a court battle again. This is the fifth time. It is all so stupid. I don't understand why men or women like this just don't want to support their kids. My ex has the money. He is just to selfish to care about his children's well being.

Sorry for the rant. I have had it with dead beat parents and parents who can't or won't take care of their kids. If you can't or won't do what is necessary to raise a child, you shouldn't have them.
child support is for necessary items, cars are not necessary for a 16 year old. Not sure why CS wouldn't be lowered if one of the kids graduated HS especially if they turned 18. Sorry, but my dad had to pay a lot of CS for my younger half brother that really hurt our family. The ex said half of it was set aside for college (my dad paid over 70,000 total in CS). My brother came to him for college money and when asked what happened to the "college fund" he was told that the money was gone. My dad didn't pay for any of us to go to college. Being a construction worker doesn't pay that well. This caused a big rift in the extended family for many years.
I agree that CS should be paid. I also think that good dads get killed by a court system that still believes only a mother can raise a child. A lot of those percentage calculators that the courts use don't take into account other financial responsibilities, such as other children when deciding amounts.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM

403 posts, read 1,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
child support is for necessary items, cars are not necessary for a 16 year old. Not sure why cs wouldn't be lowered if one of the kids graduated hs especially if they turned 18. Sorry, but my dad had to pay a lot of cs for my younger half brother that really hurt our family. The ex said half of it was set aside for college (my dad paid over 70,000 total in cs). My brother came to him for college money and when asked what happened to the "college fund" he was told that the money was gone. My dad didn't pay for any of us to go to college. Being a construction worker doesn't pay that well. This caused a big rift in the extended family for many years.
I agree that cs should be paid. I also think that good dads get killed by a court system that still believes only a mother can raise a child. A lot of those percentage calculators that the courts use don't take into account other financial responsibilities, such as other children when deciding amounts.
absolutely true

Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,685,528 times
Each state has a way of calculating based on Dad's income and in some cases Mom's too. I think $200 is actually on the low side but again depends on what his income is and how long ago it was calculated. Most states allow for a revisit of amount every 3 years or so.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,158,465 times
I get $170/month for my 13 year old. Have tried to get it raised several times,to no avail. SHe had had no contact w/ him for about 5 years,when he decided he didn't want to be her Daddy anymore.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,052,358 times
he has no other children, and no other financial obligations since he and his gf, live w/his gfs exboyfriend. And he was making about 16.00hr last i knew.
the cs was set 12yrs ago.....she costs more now (dang, she can EAT 200.00 a week!! lol) but we've never gotten it raised.
theres contact when he feels like it. Regardless of what she wants (thats a whole different thread, thats actually on here in the parenting forum! lol)
anyhow, we, like many others, have fallen on hard times and have thought about getting it raised. He of course, is in a constant battle trying to get it lowered. The last time, he said he is "Mentally incapable of paying child support" and that it causes him to have nervous breakdowns....sigh....
i was trying to figure if we are in the high/low/mid of the CS ballgame.....

Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,175,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
ya, ya'll are probably shaking your heads at the title....but really, Im just curious on what most people are paying/recieving for child support in comprision to where we're at....
a bit a background...
i was married, we had a child, the marriage was terrible and thankfully over within 2 yrs...
I asked for and obtained full custody of our daughter. She was 2. I was tryingto be nice (dunno why) but started out actually only asking for 75.00month for child support. total. well, he threw a few, saying it was his money,and if she wasnt living w/him, he wasnt going to "waste his good money on her" ya, nice guy...so anyhow, long story short, after a LONG time, the courts finally set child support at 200.00month. He doesnt pay any insurance or anything. Just the 200.00month. Well, WHEN he pays that is. He's been jailed several times and had his licence removed because hes so far in arrears. He's also taken us to court because he thinks its unfair for him to have to pay CS. he actually hasnt paid for awhile again now...sigh...
so anyhow, we've never raised it, she is 14 now....im curious, what are most people averaging for CS for this age?? Is this 200.00 unreasonable?
Not at all! My sister here in cali. gets at least 800.00 a month for her son because his father decided his life was more important than dealing ith a kid. And it was not always like this. She had months where he worked under the table... but the "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" She has written the District attorney in order for them to keep on top of things! She is cpa...BUT still she has a new life now and two other children and her boyfirend of 13 years has his own own son from another relationship that he pays 400.00 a month for. Why does he pay little? Because he has his son under his insurance plan which has paid for over 9 years of braces, all of his special bills for (Asthma) buys him all of his clothes, shoes and pays for his car (A 2008 mustang gt) and gas...this kid is already 17.
So again 200? Is lowballing IMHO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting