Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times

Advertisements

First, this is my significant other and his ex-wife. She is in CT. I won't go into her moving her boyfriend in as soon as my SO moved out.

They had 4 kids, 2 from her previous marriage that he adopted and 2 of their own. Right now I think the kids are 23, 21, 18, 17. The court order said he'd pay a couple hundred a week for the two youngest. He gladly did. Never missed a week. The youngest was about 12 when my SO moved out. He was advised not to fight for custody because it would be expensive and he'd never win. He regrets taking that advice.

He was divorced/separated for a couple years when we became reacquainted. (we were in the same Marine squadron though not involved in the early 80's). I moved to CT to be with him. His ex ranted like a madwoman about the youngest being unmanageable and how she had to come live with us. We were unable to at the time but after 8 months there, I had a job offer for Hawaii. We invited her to come with us. She did and was here for 10 months. Jan-Oct of this year. We got her to the dentist, had numerous neglected dental issues fixed. She had some health issues that were straightened out and we got her some "prevention" since she turned 17 while we had her here and she was wild as the March wind. She continuously said she wanted to go back and her mother continuously swore/cursed like a nutcase about the girl, calling her the worst names imaginable, saying she couldn't come back. We went to family counseling and just started getting her to go. Then her mother started working on her to get her back. Since she was here child support was suspended (VERBALLY BETWEEN THEM BUT NOT THROUGH THE COURT) because her brother stayed there, turned 18, and graduated high school class of 2013. Then he joined us for a few months His mother talked him into coming back, too. They are both back there now. We wanted them both to stay. She will be 18 in April.

While here we worked with agencies enrolling her in 3 different programs because she refused to go to school (yes, I know, but I was not allowed to intervene, thus the counselling. We were working that out.) She was on track to get her GED the month she left. While here she got a well paying job as a nanny. She has been working since the day she got back to CT and hasn't been back to school there either.

TODAY (as we get ready to relocate to GA in 3 weeks) the mother started ranting to my SO about taking him to court and he owes her 2 years of child support. He paid up to the time his daughter came with us to HI as agreed and has those records. He covered her on his medical, paid full support while here.

I think we should get all documentation and, when we get to GA, initiate an interstate child support case (btdt) and document everything with the courts. My SO is willing to continue to pay support until the girl turns 18. The ex says she's entitled until the kids are 26?!!

Is there anyone who has experience/advise they can share? We are already stressed about this move and now this. (my kids are grown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 03:36 PM

Another quickie: We have our money in his account. I told him he needs to shift it to my acct so it can't be touched, just in case.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,980,621 times
Time to see a lawyer who specializes in family law.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM

639 posts, read 972,965 times
Agreed. Get yourself an attorney. I went through the family court system for years in CT - you want everything documented as soon as possible.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 PM

k. thanks. We're going to be in GA in a few weeks. I know there are some states that are really good working between states. (TN being one of them)

Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM

34,970 posts, read 57,045,368 times
This post is off topic to the Connecticut forum so I am moving it to the Parenting forum. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
He might have to pay the past two years since he didn't make anything official through the courts. Paying until 26 is just a threat. He stopped paying for the other kids when they turned 18. He might be responsible for their college educations if he has a college education. She might mean until 26 for being on your health insurance. That's the age adult children can remain on parent's insurance plans. It's 29 in my state.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Yes, this kind of case needs a lawyer. Laws vary state-to-state for one but also only a lawyer can determine if a verbal agreement would really cover it. I don't think many states make it mandatory for a parent to provide adult children a free education. Parents can now choose to keep insuring their adult children until age 26, but I believe it's only mandotory up until age 18 and out of high school.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, this kind of case needs a lawyer. Laws vary state-to-state for one but also only a lawyer can determine if a verbal agreement would really cover it. I don't think many states make it mandatory for a parent to provide adult children a free education. Parents can now choose to keep insuring their adult children until age 26, but I believe it's only mandotory up until age 18 and out of high school.
Any of this stuff can up mandatory if it's in a divorce/child custody agreement. My girlfriend's ex has to pay for his children's college educations because it is stipulated in the custody agreement. My son's friend's father is required to provide them with health insurance after adulthood to the age permitted by the state because it's in their custody agreement. The OP's husband definitely needs a lawyer. I merely made the connection between age 26 and the state's age for being on parent's insurance. They'll be darn lucky if that's all the ex is trying to get.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
They need to take it up with their lawyers. It was a mistake not to get the new custody and support arrangement legally changed when she moved in with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting