Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old decided that she wants to be a Lego for Halloween. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to make a Lego costume since I know they don't sell them, and if they do it would be like a bajillion dollars for a few hours (reminds me of my wife buying her wedding dress--ah, but that's another story for another forum).

So here is my idea and where I need some help. I want to make a mold out of wire that is light-weight and I can wrap material around. It would go over her head and her arms would stick out the sides. She'd wear it at school so I have to figure out how she could sit down in it, if possible. Then I have to come up with what to use for the circular bumps on the Lego itself. Any ideas or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
I would use a box that is from shoulders to waist or even above her head (that might not be real safe) and glue paper plates to it for the bumps....then spray paint it all.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:46 PM

303 posts, read 980,647 times
Maybe some large stro-foam cups as well!?

Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,399 times
Ooooo! I love making Halloween costumes! Here is a link to Family Fun magazine's lego design. FamilyFun: Halloween Costumes: Lego Man Costume - and More Family Fun It looks pretty cheap and easy to make. The problem would be sitting down. Maybe she could be something different for school?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:14 PM

134 posts, read 590,477 times
May i make another suggustion ask her in another week or two what she wants to be for halloween . kids they change their minds when they see a differnt costumes then if she still wants to a lego that would be fine also i agree with okpondlady its just a suggestion .

Old 09-27-2008, 07:28 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Ooooo! I love making Halloween costumes! Here is a link to Family Fun magazine's lego design. FamilyFun: Halloween Costumes: Lego Man Costume - and More Family Fun It looks pretty cheap and easy to make. The problem would be sitting down. Maybe she could be something different for school?

That is a cool costume! Maybe you could make the bodypart smaller so it would end high enough for her to sit down.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Or she could wear something underneath it, take it off during class, and put it on when the parade starts! One of my son's schoolmates was a mailbox, it was very cool. During class he took it off, because he couldn't sit!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
When my son wanted to be Spongebob for Halloweek a couple years ago, I had a hard time finding the right costume. He wanted it to have squared corners and didn't like the foam ones from the store. I ended up making a box from foam core board, covering it with felt and using interior elastic to hold it up. He loved it and we still have it - it's a wall decoration now. All night long, on Halloween, people we didn't know were stopping him and asking to take his picture.

His school at the time only allowed kids to dress up as what they wanted to be when they grew up - no characters allowed. He dressed as an artist at school and had his Spongebob costume at home for trick or treating.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:00 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
use a longer rectangular box, spray paint it, glue on coolwhip containers for the bumps, (spraypainted too of course) have her wear a long sleeved shirt and stretch pants in the matching color.
you can cut out a flap on the back so she can move it and sit at school. Or just take off the box and sit it by her during classtime.
I love doing homemade costumes for my kids
one of my fav. was my daughter was a jack in the box. Got a big square box, covered each side and top in a different color of paper, then let her draw and color on each one. Cut out a big [part of the bottom, then a flap in the top. Dressed her in multi-colored longjohn pjs, put her hair up in crazy pigtails, and a big spot of blush on each cheek. Put a wire coathanger on the side, and handed her a windup music toy. Her siblings would knock, she would squat down in the box,(with the top lid down)and then the homeowner would "wind up"the box w/the coathanger. She'd let off the windtoy for the music, and after a few seconds of it, would POP!!! out of the top and say "TRICK OR TREAT!!!" it was a HUGE hit.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 PM

81 posts, read 257,429 times
I was going to suggest using some flexible tubing for the "frame" that can bend and then get some "stiffer" red fabric and paint some foam circles with red paint and attach with glue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting