Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 PM

109 posts, read 757,601 times

Advertisements

If you move it will be very difficult on the older kids, the 3rd grader not as much. I had to move in high school and it was miserable. I never really fit in because everyone has their cliques established by then. But on the other hand it will make them tougher and you have to do what is best for your family. I'd go with what your gut is telling you. Maybe the older kids will do better than I did and love the new town, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 PM

109 posts, read 757,601 times
ALso...don't split up the kids and I wouldn't let them make the decision as to if you stay or go, it should be the parents making the decision.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,402,284 times
As a parent I made the move before my daugher's sophomore year. She was very open and ready for the move. However, I did no count on her social anxiety from settling in. Yes, we did know that she suffered, but did not really know the scale of her anxiety. The move went well, summer went great. However, the school year stated out on the wrong foot. My daughter was afraid for her existence and resisted the new environment. She attempted suicide and the year was very difficult. There's is no right or wrong reasons when considering moving. Although, she was gong ho for the move, school and people overwhelmed her thoughts. It was a rough year, this year is quite different and she has settled. My suggestion is to have your child share her thoughts with a therapists. They don't divulge everthing to us; especially since they think their opinons does not matter. Good luck--life will ge better.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 920 times
Who's the Parent? Who's the Child of the parent? How can you best provide for them? Are there good schools in your relocation area? Pray for an answer and expect a miracle. However, you must make a choice, to have a decision.

You have done well this far. Continue to trust the Christ in you, for your best support.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:08 AM

650 posts, read 2,180,291 times
We moved from CT to ME the year that I was 17 and my sister was 13. At the time it seemed like my life was ending. Looking back as an adult, I realize that it was the best choice that my parents could have made. I think that the phrase "bloom where you're planted" is very true.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,535 times
Thanks. It's nice to hear all perspectives, particularly those who have done it as parents and/or teens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting