Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 50,544 times

Advertisements

Anyone..here I need some help, some experience to share. My son is 4 years old, he’ll only eat by himself if the food is extreme sweet or salty. I need to feed him spoon by spoon, so I can put the nutritious fish, broccoli and brown rice on the spoon to feed him. Or else, there’s no way he’ll eat these food items by himself. At times, I even need to add a piece of salty hot dog on these healthy spoonful of food. Sometimes, some chocolate on the top. Or else, he’ll just spit out everything. I’m getting stressed and this is not normal for what I see. Does anyone else’s 4 year old acts this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 PM

650 posts, read 2,180,145 times
My son is also 4 and eats very little. I can't, however, imagine spoon feeding him or adding chocolate (I do allow ketchup) to his spoonfuls in order to force him to eat. A child is not going to starve himself, if he is hungry, he will eat. If you only provide HEALTHY foods, that is what he will eat. If you don't spoon feed him, he will choose to eat or go hungry. I don't see the problem. My son is a healthy, active boy, who chooses to forego dinner at least 5 nights a week. He went for his 4 year well visit today and he is a healthy 35 lbs. and 40 inches. Obviously choosing not to eat is not preventing him from growing.

If you make meal times a battle or a power struggle you are just encouraging the behavior. Ignore the problem and he will eat (what you provide) when he is good and hungry.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,498,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmomwang View Post
Anyone..here I need some help, some experience to share. My son is 4 years old, he’ll only eat by himself if the food is extreme sweet or salty. I need to feed him spoon by spoon, so I can put the nutritious fish, broccoli and brown rice on the spoon to feed him. Or else, there’s no way he’ll eat these food items by himself. At times, I even need to add a piece of salty hot dog on these healthy spoonful of food. Sometimes, some chocolate on the top. Or else, he’ll just spit out everything. I’m getting stressed and this is not normal for what I see. Does anyone else’s 4 year old acts this way?
i would not put sweets or salty food on his spoon just to make him eat. i would let the doctor know about this problem and also make sure he is taking some vitamins...

Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
My son is also 4 and eats very little. I can't, however, imagine spoon feeding him or adding chocolate (I do allow ketchup) to his spoonfuls in order to force him to eat. A child is not going to starve himself, if he is hungry, he will eat. If you only provide HEALTHY foods, that is what he will eat. If you don't spoon feed him, he will choose to eat or go hungry. I don't see the problem. My son is a healthy, active boy, who chooses to forego dinner at least 5 nights a week. He went for his 4 year well visit today and he is a healthy 35 lbs. and 40 inches. Obviously choosing not to eat is not preventing him from growing.

If you make meal times a battle or a power struggle you are just encouraging the behavior. Ignore the problem and he will eat (what you provide) when he is good and hungry.
your son forgoes dinner 5 days a week? his height and weight seem a bit low for his age. my son is 2, weighs 30 lbs and is almost 40 inches tall. he is not fat by any means.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Get a check from your doc that he is really ok, and then stop spoon feeding him. Give him breakfast, lunch, dinner, no snack foods in between. No special foods or special treatment. Any food he spits out he can clean up.
He will eat when he is hungry and he might be more inclined to try some new things, develop a taste for things he has previously disliked. Again, check with your doc first, get ready for lots of whining and fussing. Good luck!!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
my son is 2, weighs 30 lbs and is almost 40 inches tall. he is not fat by any means.
Are you sure? 40 inches at 2 years is 6 inches taller than the median height, certainly something your pediatrician would have mentioned to you as unusual.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,680,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Get a check from your doc that he is really ok, and then stop spoon feeding him. Give him breakfast, lunch, dinner, no snack foods in between. No special foods or special treatment. Any food he spits out he can clean up.
He will eat when he is hungry and he might be more inclined to try some new things, develop a taste for things he has previously disliked. Again, check with your doc first, get ready for lots of whining and fussing. Good luck!!
I agree with the above advice. You've been very nice and very tolerant, but this is ridiculous. Once he knows that healthy food is all that will be offered he'll eat.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,260,958 times
Sometimes intense cravings for salty and sweet foods are signs of diabetes. I would take your little guy to the pediatrician and get a full work up.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Are you sure? 40 inches at 2 years is 6 inches taller than the median height, certainly something your pediatrician would have mentioned to you as unusual.
he is 3 feet actually and they tell me his is top 50th percential and perfectly healthy

Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM

149 posts, read 762,730 times
If all he will eat is sweet and salty foods, he is heading towards becoming a junk- foodie. You should stop spoon feeding him right away! The decision to eat healthy foods has to be his and not yours, otherwise it will be viewed as a negative experience when he is older and has to make meal choices without an adult present.

If you do not allow any sweets or snacks into the house and only give him well balanced meals he will begin to feed himself when he is hungry. Children will not starve themselves in protest (at least not that young), plus when the body is really hungry it makes bland foods taste pretty darn good. Also remember that taste preferences are aquired, so the less sweets and salty foods he eats the less he will crave them, and the more healthy food he eats the more he will like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting