Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times

Advertisements

Our childhood home was less than pleasant (a lot of abuse) and there were a total of 8 kids, so lots of confusion too. So, things ended up shaking out with one of my older sisters putting her daughter up for adoption. (lots of mind games on our mother's part, isolation- you name it. Trust me, it was THE BEST thing my sister could have done.)

Fast forward 22 years. My sister and her daughter have been in touch for the past year, email, phone, visits, overnights....Although my sitst wanted more, she never could have any more children.

Here's where it gets sticky. My niece is an ass. She is always using people, (her adoptive parents are only good for what they can give her- electronics, money, pay her bills...) and my sister has made a stand that she will not play that game. My niece is manipulative and is now living with her biological dad (who my sister helped get her in touch with).

My sister can't help but compare how her daughter is treating her with how my daughter treats her. Her daughter is 22 and acts like she's 7, my daughter is 13 and acts like she's 22!! I taught my kids manners, but even without, they are nice kids. Her daughter wants gas money to come visit, expects to be waited on hand and foot, prefers others pay for her expenses and doesn't care if she doesn't have a job. When she lost her last job, she wanted my sister to take in her 2 great danes AND 4 cats. Then got upset when she said no.

What it all boils down to is that my sister calls me and I get all upset on her behalf, but is it my place to step in an give my niece whatfor, or do I keep in the background and let my sister use me as a sounding board and leave it at that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Our childhood home was less than pleasant (a lot of abuse) and there were a total of 8 kids, so lots of confusion too. So, things ended up shaking out with one of my older sisters putting her daughter up for adoption. (lots of mind games on our mother's part, isolation- you name it. Trust me, it was THE BEST thing my sister could have done.)

Fast forward 22 years. My sister and her daughter have been in touch for the past year, email, phone, visits, overnights....Although my sitst wanted more, she never could have any more children.

Here's where it gets sticky. My niece is an ass. She is always using people, (her adoptive parents are only good for what they can give her- electronics, money, pay her bills...) and my sister has made a stand that she will not play that game. My niece is manipulative and is now living with her biological dad (who my sister helped get her in touch with).

My sister can't help but compare how her daughter is treating her with how my daughter treats her. Her daughter is 22 and acts like she's 7, my daughter is 13 and acts like she's 22!! I taught my kids manners, but even without, they are nice kids. Her daughter wants gas money to come visit, expects to be waited on hand and foot, prefers others pay for her expenses and doesn't care if she doesn't have a job. When she lost her last job, she wanted my sister to take in her 2 great danes AND 4 cats. Then got upset when she said no.

What it all boils down to is that my sister calls me and I get all upset on her behalf, but is it my place to step in an give my niece whatfor, or do I keep in the background and let my sister use me as a sounding board and leave it at that?
Do you quite possibly think that she may be expecting everything because she does have some kind of resentment towards your sister-her biological mother- for giving her up? And perhaps she thinks she is OWED this, as she should have been receiving more throughout the years from the mother who didn't want her and gave her up (I am just saying that because maybe she's thinking that!!). Her "mom" owes paying for her stuff, and taking care of her, ad paying for her to come see her....because her "mom" has years to make up for.....

This may just be a reason why she is like she is.....

Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Your niece doesn't sound like a very pleasant girl, but I don't know as it's really her fault that she apparently has been horribly raised. Maybe it's not so much she's bad as that she doesn't know any other way? Could you sit down and have a heart to heart, without any whatfor? Maybe she doesn't realize her spoiled rotten behavior is, uh, so off putting.
OTOH if she's perfectly aware of the pain she's causing your sister and just doesn't care, I think I'd go ahead and give her the whatfor. With your sisters permission.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Her adoptive parents have admitted they rewarded her and showed affection with materialistic things and they always bailed her out of every situation instead of letting her learn how to deal on her own.

It's hard because I did step in a few months ago via email and let my niece know EXACTLY what the situation was when she was put up for adoption, but she is living with her biological dad; he is filling her head with lies and she is believing them.

She sent a list of Christmas presents she wanted mailed to her, a list of birthday presents, but didn't send a card or call on her mother's birthday. I know I only hear my sisters' side of the story. I gave her my phone number and address, and have not heard a peep. She has never offered her number or address to any of her aunts, uncles or cousins in the last year and a half.

It sucks because I love my sister, and I want her to have the joy of the relationship I have with MY daughter, but it does not look like that will ever happen. It's really frustrating.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:

She sent a list of Christmas presents she wanted mailed to her, a list of birthday presents, but didn't send a card or call on her mother's birthday.
I know I only hear my sisters' side of the story. I gave her my phone number and address, and have not heard a peep. She has never offered her number or address to any of her aunts, uncles or cousins in the last year and a half.
That could still just be bad upbringing and thoughtlessness. If it is, maybe you can lead her down the path of proper behavior with a little subtleness and gentle prodding.
Send her an e-mail saying that her mother is worried the presents never arrived, because your niece didn't call or write to acknowledge their arrival.
Send her an e-mail reminder the day before a birthday or holiday, state that you realize how busy your niece is and that you just wanted to remind her in case she had forgotten.
Heck, send her an e-mail saying that your afraid that your sister is worried that she hasn't heard from the kid in a while, but that your sister is reluctant to say anything herself.
Etc., etc.
I wish you the best, it doesn't sound like an easy situation.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
It sucks because I love my sister, and I want her to have the joy of the relationship I have with MY daughter, but it does not look like that will ever happen. It's really frustrating.
The girl doesn't sound like a very nice person, and it seems it stems from her upbringing. However, you need to realize that even if she wasn't like this, it is very unlikely your sister would have the same relationship with her daughter that you have with yours. She gave her daughter up for adoption, and she was rasied by other people. Your daughter (I'm assuming) has been in your care since her birth.

How is the girl's relationship with her adoptive mother? Why is she living with her biological father? Is she estranged from her parents? She sounds like a girl with a lot of issues.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
I think your sister needs to handle this. You should be your sister's sounding board, but you should not be talking to her daughter about these problems.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Was the niece adopted right away? Or did she spend much time in foster care?

We have been foster-parents a couple times, have dealt with different state DCFs, and foster support groups. She sounds like she spent time in the foster system.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM

She was adopted right away, and still maintains a relationship with her adoptive parents- but only to the extent of what they will send her way. She has stated that it isn't worth her time to visit them if they won't at least fill her gas tank. She lives in the same state as her adoptive parents, but also her biological father. Since losing her apartment due to unpaid rent (she thought it was a better idea to spend the summer at the beach rather than hold down her job.) she has been living with her biological father and his family.

Thank you all for your advice and insight and I think it IS my sister's battle, but I just feel so impotent about the situation. I just want to shake her and tell her to stop being so selfish. Sigh... I will say that this has really opened my eyes to how lucky I am to have two great kids myself.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,221 times
The niece is 22 years old....legal adult. When your sister wants to see her, she needs to pay to go and see her or if she asks her daughter to make time to come for a visit, well she can offer to pay for the visit.

However, if the daughter comes on her own, that is her choice and needs to come out of her pocketbook.

All this other stuff, even if she wasn't adopted, should be paid for by the niece. She's old enough to have a job and provide for herself. Your sister does not have to pay for her fun. If she had not been adopted, your sister would not be paying for the daughter's fun at age 22! The girl, young women, needs to get up off her butt and get a job.

If your sister wants to buy her daughter things, well, that's her business. But she does not have to provide for a 22 year old adult that she gave up for adoption, to "make up for loss time". That's bologna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting