Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,967,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
You will be noticed...and IMO maybe 'listened to' a little more:0
You are blessed to be a SAHM....work it girlfirend
I hate to admit it, but it is true - there are definite advantages when you are involved in the classroom. Just having the opportunity to get to know the teacher that much better is important. Of course, when your kid acts up and really does something that shocks the teacher (I'll refrain from that story....), it can be a bit more embarrassing as well .

I was mostly involved in the classroom, directly working with the kids - which I absolutely loved. I was a little involved with the PTA, but didn't do well/fit in with the other moms who used it more as a social/status thing. I couldn't deal with all the gossip that went on.

You are in a great position to really be involved in your child's education. Enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM

603 posts, read 2,342,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
The teacher needs to spend some time (at least six weeks) modeling and teaching the students the rules and how to be a good student. Beginning to punish a student after the first week of school could potentially set him up for a lifetime of hating school. Try to go observe the class to see what's happening. If she doesn't want you there, I would be very concerned.
While I don't agree with marching in time-out or a kindergartner in time-out for 10 minutes, I have to say this: part of modeling and teaching rules is enforcing the consequences you've told them. If you say, "you'll have a time-out" but don't put a child who has earned one in time-out for 6 weeks, you'll have no discipline. Students appreciate discipline when it's consistent and fair. It doesn't necessarily make students hate school.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,193,824 times
time out for 6 weeks?? geez< i thought 10 minutes was long

Old 08-16-2008, 06:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,574,808 times
I actually don't have a problem with marching during time outs but I do think that 10-minutes is too long to march in one place. At my son's school, if they get more than one warning they start taking away part of their recess and they are required to walk around the playground for 5-10 minutes. I think that is Ok because they are walking.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,439,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
They serve their time-outs at recess, so that is why they march--to get their energy out.
Noe that I would wonder about. Most studies seem to show that at that age seperating the punishment form the infractgion renders it ineffective. The punishment/correction needs to take place right after the infraction to caus that direct association in the mind.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 PM

603 posts, read 2,342,395 times
Today my first grader told me the class didn't get recess today because some boys lost recess for the entire class. My daughter earns all her points every day and has never been in trouble, yet she lost recess. I can see kids getting time-out while others play, but why punish the entire class? What message is that sending to the kids who behaved?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,193,824 times
I hate that if one/or a few messes up they all lose out....why be good?!!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,730 times
That doesn't seem right.

For all I teach my kids that life isn't fair, frankly, 1st grade SHOULD be.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,925,700 times
I remember in second grade we all got a time-out, but most of the class was acting up or enough that it was too hard to figure out just who to punish. I understand some group punishments, but this early? Or maybe that is exactly why--show the class what can happen?

I just found out that my son's teacher is an ex-military personnel--military intelligence. It's all starting to make sense...

Old 08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 713,428 times
Don't freak out about the marching, he probabaly is a wiggle worm and she is doing that to help him get his energy out with out distracting the rest of the class so he can come back more focused. If you have other strategies you use at home or are more comfortable with then tell the teacher in a nice way, she won't get offended as long as you see that your child's behavior needs to be approperiate for the classroom. Most teachers are willing to work with parents ussually as long as the parents take some responsibilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting