Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,168,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I basically walked inside to get him he looked over at me and went some where so I figured he was going to get his stuff. Signed him out and waited outside for a bit. Didn't see him so I walked back inside and motioned for him to come on. He rolled his eyes at me and went about his business. At that point I left to go call his mom.

Yea I live them, I am not really a kid friendly person so I would say we do not get along. But I don't bug her kids I do not talk to to them or anything. Still though they are very disrespectful if I go to get something to eat he will say "why are you eating our food", if I try to go and watch tv he will say "you can't watch tv because this is my tv and my house", and he throws things at me. I usually go to his mother but she doesn't do anything and tells me to discipline him.

Resentful? No, i'm suppose to help out that's why my mom has me living with her.
So, this whole thing is a symptom of a bigger problem between all of you. Child doesn't like or respect you, you resent and dislike child and mom probably feels you are ungrateful and not dependable. Sounds like a situation that will have ever escalating tension and resentment. Time to move...?

Last edited by laysayfair; 08-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,534,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Time to move...?
Completely agree with you I have had 3 interviews so far I am hoping that something turns up for me

Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM

86 posts, read 190,712 times
I see you say you aren't kid friendly. How old is this child? He probably senses that you don't like him and is being an ***** to you because he can be. Sucks for you. Maybe since mom isn't going to do anything about it you can pretend (if you can) to have a change of heart. Be a little nicer to him and things will probably go a lot smoother while you are there. This is just temporary so you'll have to put up with your share of bs while you are there.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,541,797 times
Your sister's an ungrateful ****. End of story.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 AM

37,063 posts, read 31,335,765 times
I agree with Laysayfair and I dont think the sister is ungrateful. She is supporting her sibling and sounds like she dosent ask for too much.

I was raising 2 kids by myself, working and going to school so things were hectic. My brother stayed with me some and help watch the kids when I worked nights. If I had needed him to pick up one of my kids and he agreed, then "couldnt" and I had to go do it, I be pissed too. You are an adult right? And you cant pick up a kid from school? How hard is that.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,785,210 times
Maybe its just the guy in me, but I wouldnt have let my nephew tell me no he not going. He would have went.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,332,230 times
Exactly. The mother is letting her kid run the show. That would be the end of any 'favors' from now on.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,452,291 times
Mistake on your sister's part: not warning the kid that you will be coming for him and not warning the school.

The thing is it's a very normal reaction from a child to start screaming when he sees an unexpected person picking him up. As someone who doesn't have children, I wouldn't expect you to know that and your sister should have warn you that you might get this type of reaction from her kid. It doesn't necessarily mean that a child doesn't like you, children like predictability.
If I got a screaming reaction like that BEFORE I had a child, I would totally panic too!!! I would run and call my sister and ask for advice. I didn't get that maternal instinct of knowing how to calm a child until I became a mom. Of course the ideal situation would be to try to talk the child into calming down and coming with you, but I think that's a little too much to ask from someone who doesn't have an experience with children.

Your sister was very ungrateful and actually she put you in a very awkward situation.
She is in the wrong here, not you.

However, I would encourage you to get to know your nephew! Kids are great and it's a good training tool for you for the future. The fact that he is the way he is towards you is his mother's fault. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. There are no bad kids, just bad parenting.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM

138 posts, read 371,083 times
Sounds to me like its time to move out of the house. It appears what ever negative feelings your sister has towards you is being passed along to the kids. That is why she doesn't correct him when he is rude to you.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,168,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Mistake on your sister's part: not warning the kid that you will be coming for him and not warning the school.

The thing is it's a very normal reaction from a child to start screaming when he sees an unexpected person picking him up. As someone who doesn't have children, I wouldn't expect you to know that and your sister should have warn you that you might get this type of reaction from her kid. It doesn't necessarily mean that a child doesn't like you, children like predictability.
If I got a screaming reaction like that BEFORE I had a child, I would totally panic too!!! I would run and call my sister and ask for advice. I didn't get that maternal instinct of knowing how to calm a child until I became a mom. Of course the ideal situation would be to try to talk the child into calming down and coming with you, but I think that's a little too much to ask from someone who doesn't have an experience with children.

Your sister was very ungrateful and actually she put you in a very awkward situation.
She is in the wrong here, not you.

However, I would encourage you to get to know your nephew! Kids are great and it's a good training tool for you for the future. The fact that he is the way he is towards you is his mother's fault. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. There are no bad kids, just bad parenting.
Was there a screaming reaction? I must've missed that post. I thought he just ignored her. Where was the screaming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting