Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 10:51 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Asians culturally are well known for hitting their kids. It's not a secret or stereotype. Caribbean parents, African parents, the French, Canadians, eastern Europeans, in large numbers spank their kids. It's only white Americans, the British, and Scandinavians who find it "shocking".
Oh really? Maybe you need to update your "facts."

Countries Where Child Corporal Punishment Is Illegal

1 Sweden
2 Finland
3 Norway
4 Austria
5 Denmark
6 Portugal
7 Cyprus
8 Italy
9 Poland
10 Latvia
11 Germany
12 Croatia
13 Bulgaria
14 Israel
15 Turkmenistan
16 Iceland
17 Ukraine
18 Hungary
19 Greece
20 Netherlands
21 New Zealand
22 Uruguay
23 Venezuela
24 Chile
25 Spain
26 Togo
27 Costa Rica
28 Moldova
29 Luxembourg
30 Liechtenstein
31 Tunisia
32 Kenya
33 Republic of the Congo
34 Albania
35 South Sudan
36 North Macedonia
37 Cabo Verde
38 Honduras
39 Malta
40 Brazil
41 Bolivia
42 Argentina
43 San Marino
44 Nicaragua
45 Estonia
46 Andorra
47 Benin
48 Ireland
49 Peru
50 Mongolia
51 Montenegro
52 Paraguay
53 Aruba
54 Slovenia
55 Lithuania
56 Nepal
57 Kosovo
58 France

Old 11-01-2022, 11:09 AM

16,314 posts, read 8,140,203 times
If we're being honest I have heard that pretty much everyone excepted educated white people hit their kids. I know this is not true...but sadly yes the more educated you are the more likely you are not do things like hit children and animals. To some people hitting someone is what they think they need to do to discipline them. I still think it's a mix of that and maybe people just losing their temper. It seems purely evil to me that someone would think ahead to do some type of corporal punishment to get them to behave.

I had neighbors from Cape Verde live next door to me years ago and I saw the father wallop his child. Kids also came outside naked to play or just in a diaper.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:17 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Oh really? Maybe you need to update your "facts."

Countries Where Child Corporal Punishment Is Illegal

1 Sweden
2 Finland
3 Norway
4 Austria
5 Denmark
6 Portugal
7 Cyprus
8 Italy
9 Poland
10 Latvia
11 Germany
12 Croatia
13 Bulgaria
14 Israel
15 Turkmenistan
16 Iceland
17 Ukraine
18 Hungary
19 Greece
20 Netherlands
21 New Zealand
22 Uruguay
23 Venezuela
24 Chile
25 Spain
26 Togo
27 Costa Rica
28 Moldova
29 Luxembourg
30 Liechtenstein
31 Tunisia
32 Kenya
33 Republic of the Congo
34 Albania
35 South Sudan
36 North Macedonia
37 Cabo Verde
38 Honduras
39 Malta
40 Brazil
41 Bolivia
42 Argentina
43 San Marino
44 Nicaragua
45 Estonia
46 Andorra
47 Benin
48 Ireland
49 Peru
50 Mongolia
51 Montenegro
52 Paraguay
53 Aruba
54 Slovenia
55 Lithuania
56 Nepal
57 Kosovo
58 France
This list is hilarious. Just because it's illegal "on the books" doesn't mean people have stopped spanking their kids or that it's actually enforced. Especially in regards to Africans and Latinos. Do you know any Costa Ricans or Kenyans? Lol. Never met one who wasn't beat as a child. Canada had largely banned spanking a few years ago and the statistics came out that over 70% of Canadian parents still spanked their kids. The French banned spanking years ago too and they still bring up bebe the same way with their martinet whips. Unless the courts have a camera spying 24/7 hours a day, you can't dictate how people raise their children in their homes. If you really think Muslims aren't spanking their kids in Sweden because it's "banned", you really need a reality check. Again, this is only shocking to some people like you.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:28 AM

I agree that just because something is illegal doesn't mean it isn't happening. Are you serious? People drink underage, people drink and drive, people do drugs, people drive without seatbelts, the list is goes on.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:39 AM

102,189 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I asked because I hear stories Asian families hit their children because the children didn't obey. They hit their children in the butts with long sticks, or slap them in the face. According to the laws, is it legal or not?
You "hear stories"? Do you always believe everything you hear?

Old 11-01-2022, 11:51 AM

383 posts, read 180,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Just look at Asian kids and American kids. One group is academically excelling, has a solid family structure and loyalty, has respect for their elderly, and is currently the wealthiest group in the country. The other is hit or miss with no sense of loyalty to family, is extremely entitled, thinks they're equal to adults and has no respect for authority, no respect for the elderly, is more concerned with material gain and creative pursuits than establishing a solid economic and educational foundation for themselves. Corporal punishment has everything to do with it.

Eh... it comes at a price. I can't tell you how many Asian-Americans bring up how socially stunted they are/were thanks to their upbringing. Having your parents choose what you'll study, where you'll work, who you'll marry. It can lead to life long resentments. For a western country that prioritizes independence, individuality, "rights", it might not be the best fit. Grass is greener scenario

Old 11-01-2022, 12:05 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree that just because something is illegal doesn't mean it isn't happening. Are you serious? People drink underage, people drink and drive, people do drugs, people drive without seatbelts, the list is goes on.
You don't understand the significance of those nationwide bans? You disagree that they represent a shift in social acceptance of corporal punishment over the last decade?

What they DO mean on a practical level is that if you are reported hitting a child in those countries you can face charges.

I don't understand why you are defending parents who hit their children, when the science shows the damage it does to them and to society when these kids are unleashed upon it as adults..

Old 11-01-2022, 12:37 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I asked because I hear stories Asian families hit their children because the children didn't obey. They hit their children in the butts with long sticks, or slap them in the face. According to the laws, is it legal or not?
I assume you are talking about within the USA?

It's legal, but hardly anyone does this anymore. Very few FOB's (1st gen) and almost no ABC/T/X's use physical discipline with their children in the United States. Most Asian immigrants, these days, are wealthy or EXTREMELY wealthy. Most 2nd to Nth generation Asian families are also quite well-off. They all tend to have fewer children and put extreme focus on education and making their children competitive in STEM professions. They are much more cognizant of mental health issues (compared to previous generations) and generally eschew physical punishment.

It is very common practice in the developing world to physically discipline children. There are usually more children, consequences for bad behavior are more severe (fewer safety measures), and social safety nets are weaker or nonexistent. Most of China, India, and a few remote regions of Taiwan would still be considered the developing world. My brothers were beaten pretty severely as children, and they did plenty of bad stuff to deserve it. Eventually they straightened out and became highly successful businessmen with families of their own. There has been a very rapid improvement in China and Taiwan over the last generation. My grandparents and great-grandparents still dealt with domestic slavery (mostly selling female children as servants) as a normal part of life. They did crazy stuff like binding feet and causing physical deformities like what you might imagine from the Tang Dynasty.

So, keep in mind that SOME Asian parents/grandparents in their 70's, especially if they are 1st gen immigrants, thought nothing of "using the switch" on their children. To them, that was indulgent. Some of the subsequent generation might still use physical corrections like smacks or slaps. In my experience, today's Asian parents--even if they are 1st gen immigrants, rarely use physical discipline of any kind. Also, no generation of Asian parent--that I am aware of--ever uses physical discipline on young pre-school-age children.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:44 PM

Default are

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You don't understand the significance of those nationwide bans? You disagree that they represent a shift in social acceptance of corporal punishment over the last decade?

What they DO mean on a practical level is that if you are reported hitting a child in those countries you can face charges.

I don't understand why you are defending parents who hit their children, when the science shows the damage it does to them and to society when these kids are unleashed upon it as adults..
Who is defending parents who hit kids? All i said was just because it's illegal doesn't mean it isn't happening. Same for things like drunk driving and illegal drug use.

Wow, reading comprehension.

Overall hitting kids and animals is barbaric. It's just wrong. Sad that it still happens.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:51 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I couldn't tell you, I let my moral compass guide me with regard to discipline, not laws or cultural standards.
If marks are left, child protective services will be called.
It is the law. All teachers, doctors, coaches, etc must follow the law and report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting