Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 03:42 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times

Advertisements

This thread is rather amusing.

People who don't bat an eye at pierced ears think pierced nipples are a travesty. Those who act like it's some sort of affront, or self-destructive, to 'modify' one's body think nothing of cosmetic dental work - which is, by definition, the modification of one's body - and a more fundamental modification at that (not to mention much more expensive).

It's all about familiarity (and conformity). They're used to those things, so those things are acceptable. They're not used to pierced nipples, so pierced nipples illicit all sort of negative reactions - in which there's a serious lack of self-awareness.

Let's be honest - if pierced nipples were common and pierced ears were not, it would be ear piercings that would be causing all the gnashing of teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 04:07 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
I did it when I was 16... honestly wasn't a huge deal and by 18 I had it out. Nothing my parents said was gonna stop me.. I'm now 36 and never felt the urge to get it done again.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:26 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryhippo View Post
I am new on here, so please forgive formatting as I am also on mobile.

My DD is 18 yrs old, but still lives with me. She had her ears pierced at 11 and kept them clean, their just the normal little studs, but about 2 weeks ago, she asked if she can get her nipples pierced. I am absolutely against it until she moves out! Her mom is more lax and says if she pays for it then so be it. now I understand it is her own body and she is 18 yrs old after all, but I can’t seem to “accept” it if that makes since?
Idk they just seem trashy.

What would you do?
I'm so confused why she is asking permission and not just doing it?

Old 07-17-2019, 04:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I told my kids no piercings or tattoos before the age of 25. If they did, no money for college or weddings. I told them that if they wanted a piercing that I would drive them to the tattoo parlor because it would save me thousands. If they can waste money at that age on junk like that, they can fund their own activities.
What a fascinating thing to tie college too. "I'm willing to fund your really important education and set you up for the future, but only if you allow me to exact my will on your personal expression and your body. Hopefully this teaches you about your own individual rights and body autonomy. You're not the master of your own-self. I am the master of you."

Hopefully you haven't taught them to accept these kinds of ultimatums from a spouse or significant. Imagine the husband that says "I'm only giving you money for groceries if you don't cut your hair short!" or otherwise. Abuse like that happens in marriages all the time. Parents who treat their kids that way teach their child to accept that kind of treatment from loved ones in their lives. But hey, at least you have taught them not get pierced.

Ultimatums for college education tied to piercings? Just wow!

Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I did it when I was 16... honestly wasn't a huge deal and by 18 I had it out. Nothing my parents said was gonna stop me.. I'm now 36 and never felt the urge to get it done again.
Before people freak out, now days piercing studios in most states won't pierce nips, or do genital piercings on anyone under 18. The other types of piercings require parental, or guardian consent. It can result in big trouble for those who break the law such as felonies in some states. Included in the link below are the state by state regulations for piercing minors. Yes, piercing studios have rules to abide by.

https://info.painfulpleasures.com/he...iercing-minors

----------------------------------------------

Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,459 times
The first place I’d go to ask about nipple piercing is a relocation forum, welcome to city-data!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Before people freak out, now days piercing studios in most states won't pierce nips, or do genital piercings on anyone under 18. The other types of piercings require parental, or guardian consent. It can result in big trouble for those who break the law such as felonies in some states. Included in the link below are the state by state regulations for piercing minors. Yes, piercing studios have rules to abide by.

https://info.painfulpleasures.com/he...iercing-minors

----------------------------------------------
It was a different time lol.. in the 90’s we knew someone who knew someone who worked at the parlor and did it on the DL or off hours lol. Now they are much much stricter.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
If she lives in your home, she should abide by your rules... no matter how silly they are. But if a silly thing like this is going to create some contention between you and your daughter, that's something you should think about as a parent.

I know some parents that don't want their children to pierce their ears. To each their own, but I think it's silly to let small things like this get escalated. What's next? Don't let your adult child purchase a white car?

Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
This thread is rather amusing.

People who don't bat an eye at pierced ears think pierced nipples are a travesty. Those who act like it's some sort of affront, or self-destructive, to 'modify' one's body think nothing of cosmetic dental work - which is, by definition, the modification of one's body - and a more fundamental modification at that (not to mention much more expensive).

It's all about familiarity (and conformity). They're used to those things, so those things are acceptable. They're not used to pierced nipples, so pierced nipples illicit all sort of negative reactions - in which there's a serious lack of self-awareness.

Let's be honest - if pierced nipples were common and pierced ears were not, it would be ear piercings that would be causing all the gnashing of teeth.
It's not JUST that. It's ... well... breasts. Cuz the only person who is ever going to see them is your future husband??? What even the <word that would get me banned>. Sorry to be THAT Mom's kid.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
It was a different time lol.. in the 90’s we knew someone who knew someone who worked at the parlor and did it on the DL or off hours lol. Now they are much much stricter.
It sure was a different time . Things were much more relaxed, and casual back then. I had my nips pierced the first time in 88, and my nose, and nether region in 89. I had just seen Sepultura in 89 at a small venue in Denver, and Igor the drummer had a cbr nose ring that I really liked so I went for it. This was back when all that stuff was in it's infancy before it really caught on. At the time I really liked thrash, and death metal, and piercings, along with tattoos, were more common in that crowd.

A gal I worked with had t_tty rings, and I really liked them. That's how I was introduced to them. But I went to the Emporium of Design in Denver for those first ones. The more recent ones were at Sol Tribe Tattoos, and piercing in Denver. The owner is on the recommended list from the Piercing Bible. I've read too many horror stories about botched piercings on forums by inexperienced people so am more careful now days. That's why I harp on that so much for anybody who is contemplating having it done. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting