Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:51 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Given the current status of the nation's highway rest stops and nation park services, you might want to get used to outdoor relief OP. You would have to drive almost 4 hours from the tip of north GA to Macon to find a rest stop with facilities. I-80 through NJ? None.
To that list, you can add the following interstate highways in NJ that have no restroom facilities:
I-287
I-195
I-78 (For most of its length. There is one trucker's rest stop very close to the PA border)

In many areas, the only "highway restroom stops" are actually the toilet facilities at fast food restaurants, and one has to exit from the highway in order to access them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Animals pee all over my backyard so if one of my boys did it, the last thing I'd be is grossed out. I'd still be irritated because there is a bathroom available. If no bathroom is nearby, I have allowed my kid to use an isolated bush. That hasn't happened much but it is a benefit of being a boy. Little boys may not be able to hold it, my older boys can and would be embarrassed to pee in public, even if it's fairly isolated.

Anyway, like I said, animals are peeing everywhere outdoors. No reason to get too disgusted if a human does. A cup in the car disgusts me far more. Boys have a way of missing the mark sometimes. If there is a bathroom available, it should be used.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:28 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
We live on a wooded lot. I have pee contests with my older son. I win almost every time.

In public I've let him go behind a dumpster or bushes a few times when circumstances dictated.

Peeing outdoors is the male's birthright.

My daughter even squats in the woods. Was the wife's idea to teach her to do that, believe it or not.
Yep, I pee outside all the time. Pefectlly natural. I'm not doing it on a city block, but in a yard/woods, yep. Bigger things to worry about in life.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
I also understand that incertain cultures (Asian), they allow their young children to pee and poo on the streets. Is this true? I read on City Data, so it must be true?
In Europe and Asia the culture is generally less uptight about nudity and modesty so things like this are more acceptable. Especially in third world countries.

It is legal in several European countries to walk around naked, and, in a few, masturbate in public, as long as it is not directed at anyone.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How old was the kid? Under 5 or 6? It wouldn't be my ideal, but better than wet pants. An older kid, that would gross me out. If they're old enough to hold it, then they should. If not... meh.
Hmmm....wonder what little girls have to do in such situations?

Guess it's early training in self-control/planning that comes in handy for other things all through life.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Saw a woman have a young boy pee on a parking meter on a street busy with pedestrians and drivers. There was an alley right behind them. Could have had him go in there if it was an emergency.

I get that small children can't wait and sometimes a toilet is far away but don't just have the kid pee anywhere without looking around for a more private area.

I raised a daughter. I know the location of every toilet in our area. With a little girl places tend to let you use toilets that are off limits to the general public. I've been in the basements of fruit stands, behind the kitchen in takeout places, all over. Only once did I have no choice but to have her pee in public. There was a parking lot nearby took her between a row of cars and held her in a sitting position. No one saw.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Males pee outdoors because...they can.

I raised five boys and I never encouraged them to pee anywhere but in a bathroom (when there was one) or in Mom's Jar (mayonnaise jar with lid) I know they did it when I wasn't around but I strongly suggested to them that exposing their genitals in public, even to pee, could get them in a world of trouble if someone decided to point them out as an exhibitionist.

Years pass...the two youngest, grown to manhood, and I went to a professional hockey game. We left the arena after the game headed for the parking lot. Footsteps stopped. I turned to see these two hulking guys peeing on the tire of the Porsche parked three rows over. After I stopped laughing, I reminded them sternly that I hadn't raised them that way.

As for peeing against a wall or a tree, it's shoe preservation. When one urinates on a flat piece of ground the splash factor sprinkles the shoes. Peeing against a structure of some kind helps with that. Never mind how I know, I just know.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It's not as easy as you think. If you are standing you still have your pants and/or undies around your ankles, and we women don't have a way to, um... direct the stream the way a man can. I have peed out in the woods (private land, not public) but it is very awkward to keep it from hitting your clothes unless you just take everything off.
Yeah, I could.. picture that. I'm assuming squatting or standing to pee would be far easier in a dress or skirt?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I am a bit of a germaphobe. I've peed plenty in nature. The idea of peeing on cement no matter what the age is strange to me. I mean...if it was a baaaaaad emergency, ok. But not because you didn't take them ahead of time or don't want to get out of line.

I managed to raise kids where we never had to pee on a public sidewalk, wall, etc where people frequent. I also haven't had a kid have an accident because they couldn't hold it. And we traveled tons, and went out around the city every day.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Didn't San Francisco recently install some kind of wall or wall coating that causes pee to splash back on the pee-er? They were so tired of men urinating in public that they tried this to stop it. I have no idea if it worked or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting