Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,500,886 times

Advertisements

Keep the name, and don't change it for anyone. Adults out there are going to mispronounce all kinds of names...he won't be the only one...so don't worry about it. Kids learn to deal with it. So will you! My son's name starts with a J, and not in public...but it's getting to be sometimes because we call him it so much at him...but his nickname is "J-Dog". Has nothing to do with his name and only his first initial...but he thinks it's cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 AM

932 posts, read 1,277,622 times
I don't think JOhann is unusual, but then again, I took 6 years of german...lol

I can just see the mutilations people in my small, southern hick town would make with it though!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,342,436 times
I too think you should keep it. Lots of people from all over are in the US and you'll have a whole bunch of different names at school and later on. His heritage is part German so it's a very fitting name. Its' not goofy at all or anything strange, yeah like Fuzzy Socks!!!LOL

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,780 times
I'm surprised people don't know how to pronounce it or give you a look of wonderment. Johann Sebastian Bach, anyone??

It's actually embarassing for Americans to not know that name and how to pronounce it. I've known it since elementary school. Just know that the people questioning it probably aren't educated and you shouldn't worry about them anyway. It's a very nice name, please don't change it.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM

81 posts, read 274,221 times
I'm still quite a few years away from having kids, but I have dealt with the whole mispronounced names my whole life. My parents gave me a common Italian name from our region, Mariangela (ts pronounced Mah-ree-ahn-gel-ah). Obviously as my family all lives in Italy, they all say it right. But when we moved to the states, no one could say it. I get Mary, Mary Angela, Marian, Marie Angela, etc. I just got tired of dealing with it, so I just tell people to pronounce it as Mary and Angela together. I really love my name, I just wish people could say it right.

I would say to keep the name, your son may like having it.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,061,766 times
Im with the vote to keep it!! Its a great name.
Im amazed too, that people have problems saying it right..doesnt seem all that uncommon....although, I have an Annika and about 1/2 the time, people will say Anni-ka. so we gently correct them and on to our day...but you know, with some of the names that are out there now, Johann is much more mild than many! In my daughters Kg class, theres Annika, Heneley, MhyKahul (ya, Michael), Jenesea, Aaliyah, Jozef...plus 4 Ashleys .lol
Keep it!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,224,245 times
I'd keep it too. Maybe he can go by 'Joe' for a nickname, and use Johann when he wants to, as he gets older. I live in the Northeast and it's not unusual for people to have ethnic names-but they often get shortened in casual use!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 21,096 times
Thanks all, yes we will keep it and see how or if it ever changes to John. I can't do Joe since I dated a Joe and he was a jerk. I do like it, I just wish we would have really thought it through and I wish that I didn't give in so easily. As someone mentioned, naming a child is not to be taken lightly. I guess I'm one of the few that regrets our choice. I love my little Johann thought. He's the most perfect thing on earth!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,890,836 times
Oh please don't regret your choice. That is a beautiful name and it would change so much if he became the 10th John in the classroom. You have given him a wonderful name.
We named our little one after a nun who very much impacted our life (and we aren't Catholic, never have been) and it just so happened her name is very popular as a little girl's name. But Madeline will grow up with a special reason behind such a special name! Mine is in her toddler years too, isn't it so much fun?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:25 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,028,500 times
Ditto to all those posters that wholeheartedly encouraged you to keep your son's name!

It is a wonderful name! It has character, is unique to him, and special to his father (who is special to you & son!).
You have given him an identity...one he can be proud of and embrace. What a lucky guy!

If folks have diffculty pronouncing it, or understanding the reason for giving him his great name...who cares? Don't change a thing for them!

He's your great production, yours & your husband's!
He's your joy and each day as he develops his personality more and becomes Johann the toddler,
then Johann the pre-schooler, the kindergartener, the soccer player, or baseball player..
the happy go lucky son, friend and classmate...
he will be so proud of his name and identity...
and I think you will be so glad you kept it for him!

Kudos to you for choosing a name that is not boring or stuffy...
but brilliant and beautiful as you know your son is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting