Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:32 AM

968 posts, read 2,598,165 times

Advertisements

So my 6 year old son got an invite to a birthday party to take a limo to a hockey game that is about an hour or so away from my house. I don't really know the mom at all. Based on her spelling on the invitation one can tell she doesn't have much going on upstairs.

She's taking 15 kids in this limo by herself. I feel bad not letting my son go because he loves hockey and he would be all about the limo ride. But I just don't know. I think its a little strange.

What would you do in this situation?

I hate to be the over protective parent but this seems a bit much for 6 and 7 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,923,149 times
I live an hour away from the nearest traffic light, so the hour-long trip wouldn't bother me at all. The fact that she is planning on not having any other adult would bother me A LOT. One kid says "I gotta pee" and what then. Leave the rest of the kids in the stands, unattended, or make the one kid go to the public bathroom in a sport arena and find his way back to his seat by himself? Not a very smart plan on her part. I would call and offer to go with, and (somehow) find a sweet and kindly way to point out that she is going to need another adult to go, whether it's you or not.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,074,709 times
I'd let your son go in the limo...but I'd be right behind that limo in my own car, if i were you. That'd give your son the fun limo ride, and YOU the peace of mind. Thats a long trip with a lot of kids! She'll probably welcome the extra adult once at the hockey rink too, I know I sure as heck would! He's six, dont worry about being "Overprotective". Now if he were 16.......whole new story there. but truly, how many people can truly control 15 6/7yr old overexcited amped up sugared out little boys by themselves??? NO THANK YOU!!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM

241 posts, read 1,339,707 times
Wow! She's going to try to keep 15 six- and seven-year-olds under control by herself? At a hockey game?! Yeah, she doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed.

I have three kids and know how crappy it can feel to have to say no, but I think you did the right thing.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,978,484 times
Yep - get ready for these types of dilemmas. Sometimes, like in this situation there are enough red flags that you can make the decision fairly easily. Other times it is harder and you really may just have a "funny feeling". Follow your instinct on this one. The limo is quite a bit too much for kids this age, you don't know the parent well, there are too many kids per one adult and this would be a very long event with a one hour drive both ways and a couple hours of hockey in the middle.

This would be a: "Thank you so much for inviting Buster, but he won't be able to attend Ralphie's party"

Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,209,173 times
Going to the hockey game in a limo is one thing
but at the very minimum- she ABSOLUTELY needs more adults to go too! I would say 3 to 4, and male & female- for those inevitable bathroom visits.
We took DD 4th grade class to a Braves game once. As memory serves there were 12 kids and me & hubby, teacher, and 2 or 3 other adults.

Please do find a way to elaborate the need for more adult chaperones! you probably aren't the only one concerned

Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,759,984 times
Can you go in your own car with him? Tell her you have a hangup (not that you do, of course).

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,294,791 times
We had a similar situation come up a couple years ago. We opted to drive our dd to the event ourselves and hang out nearby as the mom made it clear dh & I were not welcome. (She is kind of a control freak and already had ONE mom staying to help out.) But, there were a dozen, 6 & 7 year old girls going in a limo into L.A., making two stops in very crowded, public places. I did notice the problem with the public restroom thing even with 2 moms there and could see that the hostess mom was having a bit of a hard time keeping track of all the girls. Anyhow, I was happy with the decision we made. My dd was fine with not riding in the limo. Also, I had a couple calls from other moms who were not thrilled with this invite but didn't want to disappoint their kids so just went along with it. I do wish more parents would stand up politely but firmly for what they think is best for their children and maybe the parents who plan these over-the-top excursions would get the message that they are NOT winning any popularity contests with most of the other parents!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM

650 posts, read 2,184,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
So my 6 year old son got an invite to a birthday party to take a limo to a hockey game that is about an hour or so away from my house. I don't really know the mom at all. Based on her spelling on the invitation one can tell she doesn't have much going on upstairs.

She's taking 15 kids in this limo by herself. I feel bad not letting my son go because he loves hockey and he would be all about the limo ride. But I just don't know. I think its a little strange.

What would you do in this situation?

I hate to be the over protective parent but this seems a bit much for 6 and 7 year olds.
Call me overportective, but there is not a chance that I'd let any of my kids go!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,933,501 times
Dear Yeti **hugsss**

One adult looking over 15 kids is TOOOOO MUCH. No way. You're right with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting