Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 AM

335 posts, read 1,533,339 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't a strange question, but I know a lot of people wonder about it.

What does human breast milk tastes like? Has anyone tried their own breast milk? Any husbands out there who have tried their wife's milk?

How does it compare with cows milk? Does it have a lot of fat and nutrients in it to make the baby grow?

Also, how long did you breast feed your child for? And do you think human breast milk is better than formula?

Carrot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 AM

438 posts, read 1,508,829 times
No, I've never tasted my breast milk. Just couldn't do it. Which is weird considering I drink milk from the boob of a cow.

It is obvious to me that breast milk is best. Without citing millions of studies proving breast is best, I'll just use a little common sense. Cow milk is designed by nature to meet the nutritional needs of a baby cow. Human breast milk is designed by nature to meet the nutritional needs of a baby human. That's pretty much all the reason I needed to breastfeed. That and its free and I'm a cheap person.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
Never have tasted it, but babies like it and that's what counts. It's proven to be better. As momlady530 said, it's also free. Will save you a lot of money. Some women breast feed for 3 months or so. I know others that breast fed (later pumped) for up to a year. Most hospitals encourage it. For a wealth of information on breast feeding, check out the La Leche League website. It's an organization that educates and supports women who choose to breast feed or who are interested in learning more about it.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
I've never tasted it, but I breast fed both my boys until they were a year old. They thrived. Even if you breast feed for a few weeks or so, that's an excellent start. If babies are breast fed, they may reject the bottle.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Not only is breast milk ment for babies it's "on-tap". How could anything be better then that? Always the perfect temp., perfect amount, already sterilized, gives your baby all your natural immunities and they love it! And the above poster is right about babies having a problem switching to bottles--my two babies wanted nothing to do with bottles. I breast fed my son for 10 months and my daughter for 8 months and then they went straight to sippy cups. I never had to bother with bottles. Personally I felt the "bonding" with breast feeding was my biggest reason for doing it. The taste? I never tasted it but it is suppose to be rather thin, almost water like, and sweet tasting..I did ask my Dr. and that is what he told me. As you continue to breast feed your baby normally your body will supply upon demand!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times
Even if you can only breastfeed a week or a few days, it's good to boost the immune system of a newborn. Plus it helps your uterus go back to it's normal size and position and helps with hormonal changes after giving birth and it's 100% perfect for your baby...so many reasons to do it but some mothers can't breastfeed and that's not something you can change.
My ex got jealous when I breastfed my son, he said it was nasty and how could I sit there in public with my breast out for everyone to see??? Oh well, he was immature....

Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
I have read that as long as the baby gets breast fed for the first 6 weeks, that is the most vital time for strengthening their immune system. There are countless studies proving breast milk is healthier than formula. Babies are not allowed to drink cow milk until a certain age anyway.
No, I have never tried it...I don't think the baby cares too much about the taste- they have nothing to compare it too....but it is a comfort and bonding thing as well between the mother and child

Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,144 times
Smile I tasted mine!

My son had breastmilk only for the first year.
I tasted it and it was the sweetest stuff I'd ever
tasted. I told my friends it was like a
combination of sugar, syrup and honey.
After the first year when regular foods were
introduced he still had access to breastmilk
whenever he wanted. He'd nurse mostly for
comfort like if he was tired, stressed, had hurt himself
or was sleepy. Finally, on his 4th birthday I told
him we weren't going to do "milkies" anymore.
Mostly, because I was tired alot and couldn't gain any weight
(breastfeeding expends a lot of calories.) He was distressed
and sad about it for a few days and I felt so guilty because I know the
worldwide average for nursing is 7 years (even though in the US it's
only a few months).

Old 03-01-2008, 09:01 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Even if you can only breastfeed a week or a few days, it's good to boost the immune system of a newborn. Plus it helps your uterus go back to it's normal size and position and helps with hormonal changes after giving birth and it's 100% perfect for your baby...so many reasons to do it but some mothers can't breastfeed and that's not something you can change.
My ex got jealous when I breastfed my son, he said it was nasty and how could I sit there in public with my breast out for everyone to see??? Oh well, he was immature....
I'm so glad he is now your EX!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,526 times
My hubby tasted mine...he said it tasted like melted vanilla ice cream...

I do think breast milk is best of course..but I am not against formula at all...As long as baby is eating, growing, thriving and is healthy that is what matters.

I bf both of my girls for the first year...give or take a week or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting