Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,645,375 times

Advertisements

Would you allow your child to own this doll?

This is the new doll that is causing all the hoopla. I fail to see the problem. When my DD was little she would hold a baby doll to her chest pretending to breastfeed, I'm sure many children do this.

For me this comes down to the same old story, if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Is Breast Milk Baby the New Barbie? - NYTimes.com

Quote:
There’s a new doll entering the American toy market called the Breast Milk Baby. In addition to the doll, little girls (and boys) get a halter top that they can wear, with two flowers that symbolize breasts.

As the doll’s mouth is brought to the flowers, it makes a sucking sound, as if it is drinking milk. Afterward, the doll cries until it is burped.

Is breast best for dolls too? | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
The modern trope of the perceived sexualisation of our children continues apace with the US launch of Bebé Glotón ('greedy baby'), a doll that children can 'breastfeed' and burp. Bebé comes with a special bib for the child to wear – two flowers modestly represent the nipples – and when the sensors in the doll's mouth come close to those in the bib, it makes suckling sounds and motions. Once fed, Bebé Glotón will cry until it is burped.

The issue, of course, lies in the dual identity of breasts, at once performing a basic feeding function and yet also a sign of sexual maturity. But it's just play. And anyway, aren't there far more disturbing images out there to warp our children's tiny minds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,124,114 times
My objection to this doll is that it is silly and unnecessary. If mom breast feeds, children will pretend and they don't need a halter top with nipples to simulate the motions. I don't see it as sexualization though. Breast feeding has nothing to do with sex though breasts can be used for both feeding and sexual play.

I do think that it is about time breast feeding was emphasized instead of having every baby doll come with a bottle though.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM

16,236 posts, read 21,487,003 times
Seems kind of silly to me, but then I never understood the appeal of dolls wetting their diapers either.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,412,637 times
I wouldn't waste my money because my dd doesn't need a special doll to pretend breastfeed. She does it with the gazillion other dolls she has. Otherwise, I don't care if she owns one (like if someone got it for her as a gift)

Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,793,511 times
I think the doll is quite ugly, but yes I would allow it if someone bought it for one of my kids. I see nothing wrong with it, but I do think it is unnecessary. My older kids, upon seeing me breastfeed their younger sibling, put their dolls/ stuffed animals and in one case even a Bob the Builder digger to their chest to "nurse" them. No special attachments needed

Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,416,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I wouldn't waste my money because my dd doesn't need a special doll to pretend breastfeed. She does it with the gazillion other dolls she has. Otherwise, I don't care if she owns one (like if someone got it for her as a gift)
I agree with you Eresh....and DubbleT above.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,958,355 times
It's obviously not necessary to have a doll with gadgets in order to play at breastfeeding. As we can see, many children just pretend to nurse their dolls anyway. But some people really like to have dolls with gadgets - dolls that make sounds or move or pee in a diaper, etc are all popular. And most dolls that you buy that come with gadgets come with a bottle. So for those who like to buy dolls with gadgets, and who prefer that their child play at breastfeeding rather than bottle-feeding, this doll is for you! Personally, I don't really go for dolls with gadgets, but whatever floats your boat!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,124,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Seems kind of silly to me, but then I never understood the appeal of dolls wetting their diapers either.
Those are good for potty training because you can have the child sit them on the potty seat and they actually do something.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,495,085 times
I see nothing wrong with the doll. I'd buy a girl that.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,042,306 times
I see no problem with this toy. It's just a toy. If a child can have a baby doll that is fed via bottle, then why not fed via breast? I agree with those who say you don't need a special toy to play at breastfeeding but there is nothing wrong with having one. Lots of stuff that kids play with is not "needed". After all most kids are happy to play with rocks and sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting