Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 02:20 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,969 times

Advertisements

My wife breastfed both our children for about a year. Of course, I couldn't resist taking a pull off that tap. It was very sweet, much sweeter than cows milk.

The reason you have to be careful with gassy foods is this: When she was breastfeeding the kids, she craved broccolli. When she ate broccolli, the babies would get gas! It was pretty funny. Also the milk she pumped right after eating broccolli had a greenish color to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,792,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Am I the only one who is getting a little weirded out by your questions?
..................no, you're not the only one.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:28 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
I hope this isn't a strange question, but I know a lot of people wonder about it.

What does human breast milk tastes like? Has anyone tried their own breast milk? Any husbands out there who have tried their wife's milk?

How does it compare with cows milk? Does it have a lot of fat and nutrients in it to make the baby grow?

Also, how long did you breast feed your child for? And do you think human breast milk is better than formula?

Carrot
My dd said that it tasted like lollipops and cookies and ice cream. I tasted it and thought it tasted like melted vanilla ice cream.

Cows breastmilk is designed as the perfect food for bay cows and human breastmilk is designed as the perfect food for human babies. Can't get any better then that.

DD nursed until she was 3 and a half. Formula is a good alternative if breastfeeding doesn't work out for either baby or mom.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,380,497 times
I breast fed my premature twins for exclusively for 6 months. Had to use a breast pump, they never learned to nurse direct.

It had a very sweet taste, much more so than cow's milk. If you refrigerate it you can see the fat rise to the top of the jar just like cows milk. It is lower fat then cow's milk with higher sugar content, makes it easier for a newborn to digest.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,347 times
I think i accidentally tasted mine once, i tasted really sweet but i recall if it got on to any clothing or linen it would leave a raw-like odour.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,347 times
Breastmilk is always reccommended by doctors or healthcare providers because it's:
1. inexpensive(not a penny)
2. Helps the mother's abdomen to get back to it's normal state
3. Makes the child very brilliant compared to non- breastfed infants. among many other factors.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,837 times
I breastfed both of my daughters for a few months each. It does taste very sweet and it is better than formula for babies.

However no one ever seems to mention what it does to the boobs after the fact. I lost 2 cup sizes and they are very deflated.

If I ever had another baby, I would bottle feed. Many healthy children have been raised on formula.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,274,820 times
I breast fed mine both for two years till they could drink out of a cup by themselves. Never had a bottle in my house and have no clue about how to use one.

Fortunately I was able to stay home as they fed quite often, later supplemented by cereal and foods. To me it was the most important part of having a baby as the intimate bonding you get is without comparison. I would suggest you get a nursing coach or someone you can call who's been there before as the initial impacting when your milk comes in and sore nipples till you get use to it can be a bit uncomfortable. They can also give you techniques to stop your milk flow when you're out and you hear a baby cry (which can make you start to leak).

Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,124 times
Breast milk has a sweet taste. I once tried a few drops of my expressed milk and then a tiny sip of formula b/c I was trying to figure out why my baby seems to dislike formula (I will have my dh give it to her when I have to be out of the house and I don't have any breast milk stored).

As far as the health benefits are concerned, just visit the World Health Organization website. Breastmilk has numerous benefits over formula for the baby and breastfeeding offers benefits for the mom. That being said, it's good to have formula as an option for women who can't or aren't interested in breastfeeding.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,929,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
However no one ever seems to mention what it does to the boobs after the fact. I lost 2 cup sizes and they are very deflated.

If I ever had another baby, I would bottle feed. Many healthy children have been raised on formula.
Actually, it's pregnancy, not breastfeeding, that does this. Common misconception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting