Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Are you sure? 'Cause I swear when I look around me these days, not only do kids think they're equal and deserving of the same respect adults get, but they actually think they're higher on the totem pole.

Of course, it doesn't help that it's those very parents that are putting them up there.
Good points!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,696 times
Oh yes, I grew up in Louisiana & the "ma'am's" & "sir's" were definately expected! Especially by children. Even now as an adult, I use these. Sometimes older folks love it & other's dispise it, makes them feel old.
I teach this to my son, he forgets sometimes, but I'm always there to remind him just like my mom & dad were there to remind me!

Don't know exactly where it originated, but it sure stuck in my family!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
It was never required with my minor years. I called everybody by their first name, regardless of age. Ironic how my brother and I were considered the most respectful kids in the neighborhood. I guess it's because saying a words that are widely accepted as respectful doesn't necessarily mean you respect the person you're addressing with that title. Not to mention, many don't like to feel old.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It was never required with my minor years. I called everybody by their first name, regardless of age. Ironic how my brother and I were considered the most respectful kids in the neighborhood. I guess it's because saying a words that are widely accepted as respectful doesn't necessarily mean you respect the person you're addressing with that title. Not to mention, many don't like to feel old.
Funny how this works. I do think it may have something to do w/ where people are raised - what part of the country. I have never liked little kids calling me by my first name. I taught my kids to call other parents Mr. and Mrs. and that was the standard in the neighborhood where I grew up, as well as the neighborhood where I raised my kids.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Funny how this works. I do think it may have something to do w/ where people are raised - what part of the country. I have never liked little kids calling me by my first name. I taught my kids to call other parents Mr. and Mrs. and that was the standard in the neighborhood where I grew up, as well as the neighborhood where I raised my kids.

Or, more specifically, what country. I'd be interested to know from where Hazziq hails.

Here in Texas, it's quite commonplace and almost rude if you don't do it. My husband still addresses his parents with yes ma'am and sir, mostly when asked a direct question. It's surprising to me how respectful that is. They don't demand it, obviously, I mean my DH is a grown man, but that's just how they raised him. I love it.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:39 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Or, more specifically, what country. I'd be interested to know from where Hazziq hails.

Here in Texas, it's quite commonplace and almost rude if you don't do it. My husband still addresses his parents with yes ma'am and sir, mostly when asked a direct question. It's surprising to me how respectful that is. They don't demand it, obviously, I mean my DH is a grown man, but that's just how they raised him. I love it.
I was born in Indiana and raised in Ohio. I just moved back to Indiana last year. I'm only staying here until the summer. That's when I'm leaving for college.

Oh and just for future reference it's two a's not two z's.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I was born in Indiana and raised in Ohio. I just moved back to Indiana last year. I'm only staying here until the summer. That's when I'm leaving for college.

Oh and just for future reference it's two a's not two z's.
That is interesting - I lived in Kansas City for part of the kids' childhoods and it was very much like the South as far as kids addressing parents as Mr.and Mrs. I never heard "yes ma'am" but I did often hear "yes sir" - maybe b/c we were around military people - but all thru/ the neighborhood - it was accepted to call neighbors, friends, teachers by Mr/Mrs - and to reply Yes Sir to adults if you were a kid.

So that surprises me that Indiana and Ohio would be that different.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:08 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is interesting - I lived in Kansas City for part of the kids' childhoods and it was very much like the South as far as kids addressing parents as Mr.and Mrs. I never heard "yes ma'am" but I did often hear "yes sir" - maybe b/c we were around military people - but all thru/ the neighborhood - it was accepted to call neighbors, friends, teachers by Mr/Mrs - and to reply Yes Sir to adults if you were a kid.

So that surprises me that Indiana and Ohio would be that different.
I grew up in Ohio and I did have to address our neighbors and elders in general with Mr/Mrs. While we didn't have to sir or ma'am we showed respect by using their full name. Not sure where the other poster lives in Ohio but this widely the norm in the Northwest portion of the state.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
I grew up in NY and in the 70s where we were all expected to address adults as Mr/Mrs/Miss.

Maybe it's more to do with what generation we're products of? All of my 40-something yr old peers have said that they all addressed adults as Mr/Mrs/Miss and in many cases also used sir/m'am (especially those who fathers were military).

Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I grew up in NY and in the 70s where we were all expected to address adults as Mr/Mrs/Miss.

Maybe it's more to do with what generation we're products of? All of my 40-something yr old peers have said that they all addressed adults as Mr/Mrs/Miss and in many cases also used sir/m'am (especially those who fathers were military).
Well, not sure b/c it is always the South that gets labeled w/ the "Yes sir" thing . . . and I am back in the South. However, my son basically grew up in the midwest and all his friends had impeccable manners - again - maybe b/c some of them were influenced by having military families around . . . but DS is 24 and his friends, both in midwest and now here in NC . . . still address me as Mrs. and say Yes sir to my hubby, LOL. Of course, I have told his friends - you are welcome to call me by my first name - and some of them call me Momma, LOL, in a loving way . . . but basically - I have always been surrounded by kids who were very respectful, regardless where we lived.

So I don't know about it being generational . . . and now I am wondering about it being "regional" - maybe it is more what circles you are in . . . what the expected norm is in a given community. ?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting