Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,657,691 times

Advertisements

The thing that troubles me about this is that you allow your daughter to go on "play dates" to a home where you don't trust the adults to make good decisions. Also, you said that their daughter came over to your house, but you haven't met the rest of the family. WHAT? Have you met the parents? How do you know there aren't older teen brothers in the house, or a creepy old uncle living with them, or an alcoholic, drug addict, etc etc etc. Once your child is behind closed doors, you have no idea who she is exposed to, or what is going on in that house. Yet your biggest concern is that she went on a bike ride with grandparents kind enough to invite the kids on an outing.

You need to get your thinking adjusted. Also, go over there an meet those parents...chat them up and get to know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,431,827 times
I'm not sure why you let her go in the first place...

Old 02-16-2015, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,040,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
The thing that troubles me about this is that you allow your daughter to go on "play dates" to a home where you don't trust the adults to make good decisions. Also, you said that their daughter came over to your house, but you haven't met the rest of the family. WHAT? Have you met the parents? How do you know there aren't older teen brothers in the house, or a creepy old uncle living with them, or an alcoholic, drug addict, etc etc etc. Once your child is behind closed doors, you have no idea who she is exposed to, or what is going on in that house. Yet your biggest concern is that she went on a bike ride with grandparents kind enough to invite the kids on an outing.

You need to get your thinking adjusted. Also, go over there an meet those parents...chat them up and get to know them.
Are you saying you wouldn't let your child visit a home where the child had older teen brothers? That is so sad.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:31 AM

13,039 posts, read 9,348,931 times
Ok, as a matter of fact, we do know a bit about parenting. Dad said know, you said yes. Kid played you against one another. Standard kid action which you should have expected. We learned by the time I kids could form complete sentences to see if they asked mom/dad already. You'll probably be surprised how often she has done this to you.

Dad is not to blame here, even though you have accused him and several posters have tried to make him the fall guy. Thing is, you agreed for her to visit the other girl, so there is an implication those adults have charge and make decisions while she is in their care.

You are headed for some stressful times in a couple of years if this causes you this much consternation. They're going to want to do more things, go more places, drive cars. You need to teach them to make good decisions and then trust their decisions. When DD was 15 she had a soccer game out of town. Unfortunately my wife had to fly out the same day so DD got a ride with a teammate, we gave her our credit card and told her to get a room for herself that night. She successfully took care of herself on that trip. When DS was 14 he asked to stay home by himself for a weekend while we took DD to another soccer tourney. Successfully took care of himself and built a computer while we were out.

Give them good information and let them make small decisions, growing toward larger ones as they learn. Your daughter played you off one another (bad) but she successfully did something, with other adults around, that let her gain some confidence and independence for herself. You need to build and encourage smart decision making, not destroy it.

I'm a big believer in the scouting programs. They are designed to teach children self confidence and decision making skills by letting them make small decisions and fail in a safe environment so they can learn to make smart decisions later. If not already, I encourage you to enroll your daughter in Girl Scouts and watch her grow.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,107,123 times
You should make it clear that when one parent says no it is not allowed to ask the other..
That will solve the first problem..

if she tries that trick again she should know ahead of time what the consequences will be..

Overreacting to the bike ride..
Think ahead...What is the rule about leaving a playdates house..tell her & enforce it..

Keep the rules simple & clear...

Old 02-16-2015, 07:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,581,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If I was ok with the parents of my kids friends, then there was a reason for it. I trusted them, and their judgement. Obviously, you don't feel the same way about your daughter's friends parents, because I don't see what the big deal is here. And if you don't, you shouldn't have let her go.

It sounds as though there is a lot of marital tension in your house, which is a terrible situation for a child. She was probably better off spending the day with indulgent grandparents than listening to her parents argue.
I agree with this. According to you, your husband is a jerk, so you grounded your kid.

Great life for her (not).

Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,621,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
. But I am glad to see that y'all don't understand parenting enough to actually see what was wrong with this picture. No wonder kids in America have gone berserk and get in all sorts of trouble.
You asked for opinions. When most of those opinions disagree with you, it might be worthwhile to at least consider what they are saying. Many posters who posted are parents of adult children - none of whom has gone berserk and gotten in all sorts of trouble.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,676,504 times
Quote:
Dad said no first because he was half asleep and she put the ipad with the girl on facetime in his face! I am not sure who wants to wake up like that!

Blaming me for this is ridiculous and insulting.

She's been there before, and leaving her home to go elsewhere never happened! I had no way of knowing this was going to happen.

I only speak to her mom normally; her dad is completely antisocial, but he is also never around...

The point was that while she was there, she went out on a bike trip to some store with two grandparents I've never met. She did not have her phone with her, she did not text me like she was supposed to, so I don't think it behavior was OK. But I am glad to see that y'all don't understand parenting enough to actually see what was wrong with this picture. No wonder kids in America have gone berserk and get in all sorts of trouble.

MOD: Please close this thread! Thank you.

Who are you upset with?
You for not giving your daughter the spare phone so she could text you?
Or, you daughter for thinking you trusted her enough to use good judgement, which she did?

As the adult, you have a part in this. You placed her in the company of safe adults.

First you did not give your daughter the spare phone in order to text you.
You trusted her judgement in an unknown situation.
Your child used good judgment, and had a great time.

Sounds like a kid having a great time and a parent letting go of the parental strings with a good outcome.

Breathe. Y'all did good. Real good.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,379,577 times
Quote:
Dad said no first because he was half asleep and she put the ipad with the girl on facetime in his face! I am not sure who wants to wake up like that!

Blaming me for this is ridiculous and insulting.

She's been there before, and leaving her home to go elsewhere never happened! I had no way of knowing this was going to happen.

I only speak to her mom normally; her dad is completely antisocial, but he is also never around...

The point was that while she was there, she went out on a bike trip to some store with two grandparents I've never met. She did not have her phone with her, she did not text me like she was supposed to, so I don't think it behavior was OK. But I am glad to see that y'all don't understand parenting enough to actually see what was wrong with this picture. No wonder kids in America have gone berserk and get in all sorts of trouble.

MOD: Please close this thread! Thank you.
If your daughter is in trouble for anything, it should be shoving the ipad in her dad's face.

She didn't text you because you didn't give her the phone.

She's 10, not 5. My kids are about the same age and are starting to hang out with kids whose parents I don't always know. Going forward into middle school and HS, I can't limit their social lives to families that I know. That isn't realistic and it isn't fair to them.

Instead of hovering and controlling, I remind them that I don't know these parents, and if they feel like something isn't right, to call me or leave. Eventually, you have to let them use their own judgement. How will they ever learn to, if you don't let them?

My biggest concern over your situation is did she have access to a helmet for the bike ride.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,834,793 times
You got played by DD. Dad said no. You said yes.

WHY has DD not ridden a bike in 7 months? You are in Florida!! That bike should never be put away.

Loosen the leash a bit...or you will be in for some rough teen years coming down the pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting