Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,761,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I don't see what the difference is. The cake for the child is usually very small anyway, and it's only something they do on the first birthday. (The kid also often eats the cake and doesn't just "smash" it.)
Some won't even eat it....lol! Mine didn't. ...we laugh about that today because she loves chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,642,384 times
Both my kids turned one while we lived in the Pacific Northwest. All the local grocery stores provided for free the individual birthday cake solely for the purpose of smashing, smushing, and ingesting. It was sized between a cupcake and a 9 inch, and had minimal decoration.

It is FUN, have people forgotten about that?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,309,578 times
I did a load of cupcakes instead of a big cake so my baby had one cupcake to smash (well, poke) and everyone else got a cupcake to eat. Considering how the cupcakes tasted (had to make them gluten free, egg free, dairy free and soya free because my baby had so many damn allergies) then smashing them was probably preferable to eating them

Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,408,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
There is a big difference between letting a child eat his slice of his birthday cake with his hands and buying a special cake with the sole intention of having the child smash it to bits.

BTW, None of my friends or relatives had a special "smash cake".
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I don't see what the difference is. The cake for the child is usually very small anyway, and it's only something they do on the first birthday. (The kid also often eats the cake and doesn't just "smash" it.)
Hmmm, I may have to reconsider my opinion.

The very few times that I had seen pictures/videos of this on-line it appeared that the 1 year was smashing a real birthday cake that would have enough servings for several, or even many people and not just a tiny, maybe cupcake size individual cake. I guess, having parents who grew up during the depression, I was raised have strong feelings against wasting food for "fun".

However, if the individual cake is just one preschool size serving and the child is actually encouraged to eat it rather than just "smash" it, pound it to bits and throw it that is a very different situation.

Since, I have actually never seen it, or heard of it in real life in my area, and I have attended several birthday parties for 1 year olds plus have had numerous friends with young grandchildren, I do not think that a separate "smash cake" is common in my immediate area.

Of course, parents are welcome to do whatever they feel comfortable doing and what is expected in their community.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-26-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,465,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Is this common?

Do most parents celebrate their child's first birthday? Would you have a big party at Chuckie Cheese?

I know I don't remember anything when I was a whopping 1 year old so guess I don't get the point of having a party. I'm thinking most parents maybe have a little cake for the birthday boy/girl so they can get a cute pic of them turning 1 with cake all over their face?

An old co-worker of mine, her son recently turned one. They didn't want to throw a party for him, since he wouldn't remember any of it. What they did for him instead, was since they knew he loved animals, they took him to the zoo. Sure, yes he won't remember that either, but she wanted him to to be happier and based on her son, she knew the zoo would be a better time for him than a bday party.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,952,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Chuckie Cheese type party for a one year old--no. A family party with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins--yes.
Exactly. Have some family/ close friends over for the 1 year old's birthday. It's pretty standard by me.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,334,345 times
Family party, nothing too fancy...

Slide a large slice of very messy chocolate cake in front of the kiddo, watch their expression and have a camera ready!

We did this with both of ours, they were wearing nothing but a diaper at the time of the cake massacre and we had a warm bath waiting. Cake everywhere, hair toes, ears...

Into the bath and in 5 minutes there is a warm, clean, happy over sugared angel to hand over to grandma.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

17 posts, read 16,972 times
It's really a celebration for the parents and family! Congrats on surviving your 1st year of parenthood!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,380,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, I may have to reconsider my opinion.

The very few times that I had seen pictures/videos of this on-line it appeared that the 1 year was smashing a real birthday cake that would have enough servings for several, or even many people and not just a tiny, maybe cupcake size individual cake. I guess, having parents who grew up during the depression, I was raised have strong feelings against wasting food for "fun".

However, if the individual cake is just one preschool size serving and the child is actually encouraged to eat it rather than just "smash" it, pound it to bits and throw it that is a very different situation.

Since, I have actually never seen it, or heard of it in real life in my area, and I have attended several birthday parties for 1 year olds plus have had numerous friends with young grandchildren, I do not think that a separate "smash cake" is common in my immediate area.

Of course, parents are welcome to do whatever they feel comfortable doing and what is expected in their community.

All the pictures I have seen of cake smashing sessions were with bigger cakes, at least a 6 person serving. Of course, to each their own, some may do it with a cupcake and some may go overboard. Still feels wasteful to me.

I agree with what I highlighted in purple, but not at all with what I highlighted in green. I would never do anything just because it's what people around me do!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 PM

44,218 posts, read 45,101,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Is this common?

Do most parents celebrate their child's first birthday? Would you have a big party at Chuckie Cheese?

I know I don't remember anything when I was a whopping 1 year old so guess I don't get the point of having a party. I'm thinking most parents maybe have a little cake for the birthday boy/girl so they can get a cute pic of them turning 1 with cake all over their face?
I think celebrating a child's first birthday is more for parents and family as the child won't remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting