Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,302,807 times

Advertisements

We just had some family over and cake (obligatory cake smashing picture although my kid wasn't into smashing the cake and just poked it a little) for my daughter's 1st birthday, more to celebrate surviving a year of sleep deprivation and a chance for some family members to meet her for the first time, than a party for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,754,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Is this common?

Do most parents celebrate their child's first birthday? Would you have a big party at Chuckie Cheese?

I know I don't remember anything when I was a whopping 1 year old so guess I don't get the point of having a party. I'm thinking most parents maybe have a little cake for the birthday boy/girl so they can get a cute pic of them turning 1 with cake all over their face?
Of course most parents have a party for their one year old. Normally a family and friends sort of deal at home with....mostly a social gathering for the grownups with cake...lol.

Just because the guest of honor doesn't remember it doesn't mean it's worthless or that the birthday child isn't having fun.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM

351 posts, read 591,384 times
Default In Hawaii it's a BIG DEAL!

In Hawaii it's a big deal. I explained it here in my other post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...l#post35633878

Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,634,317 times
Most parents I know chose for themselves how they wanted to celebrate their child's first birthday.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
In Hawaii it's a big deal. I explained it here in my other post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...l#post35633878
Well, that made me hungry.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,372,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I've never known a parent to NOT celebrate their child's first birthday.
If my daughter hadn't been born during the Holidays, and if that year we hadn't been staying at my parents' because they were hosting and we live a continent away, then our sweetpea wouldn't have had a celebration for her birthday.
We just didn't see the point since she wouldn't have a choice in the matter - the beauty of kids' birthday is that they can pick their guests, a theme, the cake... She didn't even eat cake at the time! And IMHO birthdays gave to be about the child, not about the parents. At one, it definitely is not about the child, well, not that much. The birthday is just a pretext to throw a party.

One thing I understand even less than an actual party for 1 year olds is the whole cake smashing thing. All my friends here have a cake smashing event, with pro photographer and all. As if it was cute to have a baby covered with cream... And what a waste of food! (and that's a good way to teach them that you can play with food, too ).

Old 08-25-2014, 06:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,118,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
If my daughter hadn't been born during the Holidays, and if that year we hadn't been staying at my parents' because they were hosting and we live a continent away, then our sweetpea wouldn't have had a celebration for her birthday.
We just didn't see the point since she wouldn't have a choice in the matter - the beauty of kids' birthday is that they can pick their guests, a theme, the cake... She didn't even eat cake at the time! And IMHO birthdays gave to be about the child, not about the parents. At one, it definitely is not about the child, well, not that much. The birthday is just a pretext to throw a party.

One thing I understand even less than an actual party for 1 year olds is the whole cake smashing thing. All my friends here have a cake smashing event, with pro photographer and all. As if it was cute to have a baby covered with cream... And what a waste of food! (and that's a good way to teach them that you can play with food, too ).
Oh, don't be a stick in the mud. Letting your kid eat with his hands one time is not going to teach him it's OK to do it at other times. One cake isn't going to make any sort of dent on the world's food supply. Plus, the babies are cute all covered in it.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,375,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Oh, don't be a stick in the mud. Letting your kid eat with his hands one time is not going to teach him it's OK to do it at other times. One cake isn't going to make any sort of dent on the world's food supply. Plus, the babies are cute all covered in it.
There is a big difference between letting a child eat his slice of his birthday cake with his hands and buying a special cake with the sole intention of having the child smash it to bits.

BTW, None of my friends or relatives had a special "smash cake".

Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,754,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
There is a big difference between letting a child eat his slice of his birthday cake with his hands and buying a special cake with the sole intention of having the child smash it to bits.

We never did a smash cake...but there is no harm in those that don't freak out if there kids dive in.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,118,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I don't see what the difference is. The cake for the child is usually very small anyway, and it's only something they do on the first birthday. (The kid also often eats the cake and doesn't just "smash" it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting