Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,357,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
thanks you.

Are kids welcomed in this occasion?
That depends on the school.

At some schools it is a night just for parents and at other schools it is a night that children can visit their classroom, and perhaps show their parents the gym, library, OT & PT room, etc. Review the notice or website to see what it says. If it does not specifically say, look for clues such as "Back to school night" (which may refer to the children coming back to school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,497,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
thanks you.

Are kids welcomed in this occasion?
Even if they prefer no children, they'd much rather you show up than not show up because you didn't have a babysitter. I've seen other parents take children. You do whatever you need to do to be involved in your child's education, even if that means showing up with your children. Teachers don't expect you to have a perfect life where everything falls into place. Parents sometimes need to take their children for a variety reasons. The most important thing is showing up. If you stay home due to lack of childcare, you'll appear to not be interested in your child's education. Trust me, the teacher wants you there.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,646,896 times
In my experience, Meet the Teacher held before school starts is usually meant for the children to meet their teachers, see their rooms and perhaps the rest of the school, and in elementary to bring their supplies in so they don't have to the first day of school.

Open House, on the other hand, is usually after school has started and they tend to discourage bringing the kids and is geared more towards the parents.

Some schools may label them differently, but most of the time if it's before school starts it's for the kid and after is for the parents.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,291,960 times
The first thing to do is look at the notice. How do you know it's teacher's night? Because you got a notice of it. Right? Post a copy of that notice here, and people can tell you exactly what it is. Or read the notice carefully, and it should be clear. Or if it's on a website, you could post a link.

ETA: Oops. Never mind. I just noticed, after I posted this, it was too late. But how did it go?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 PM

447 posts, read 324,822 times
Thanks everyone. It has been great.

Actually all children showed up. Some even came in with their baby siblings in pushchairs and some families two parents came in together. I had no problem showing up as I had told DH to come home earlier and he did. I decided to take my son with me to meet his new teacher. We were five minutes earlier however, I could not find a parking space at all. You could see children holding several big boxes of supplies on their little arms everywhere. It was happy and charming there.

I finally parked off road as others did which is not allowed during normal days.))) I talked with the new teacher and my son found his old teacher and would follow her everywhere.)))

It was not formal at all. You just come in,filling some forms and have a short chat with the teacher and then you should leave as there are others coming in.

Generally speaking both me and my son were happy though I found huge itchy rashes coming all over me due to strep thoat later.)))

Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,952,066 times
Did you call the school first or any other parents involved to see what's going on? I would imagine this info would have and should have been given out whether it be email, or regular mail, or flyers...?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM

421 posts, read 559,604 times
I always got really nervous about that. Our last school never seemed to know at the beginning of the year. I would even call and get the wrong answer. Or the teacher would tell me and then everyone else did the opposite.

Lol I was always stressed about it (luckily our new school is very clear who is to attend). Glad it all worked out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting