Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

I guess tonight is just my night to vent-----here goes.

If you have any type of prescription drugs, especially controlled substances, lock them up. I mean, in a secure safe, not just a little lock box.

I have severe arthritis and must take pain killers, mostly Tylenol 3, some Vicodin. I have a safe and keep the vicodin locked up, but just wasn't as careful with the T3. I was appalled to find about 20 of them in my DS bedroom, hidden in a Pringles can. I confronted him and asked why, was he actually in pain? If so, I would be glad to take him to a doctor. If not, what was he doing, trying to sell them? I understand they don't have much of a street value. I've also explained to both my kids the dangers of too much Tylenol. Actually, the Tylenol is probably more dangerous than the codeine taken in excess doses.

He just said "if ou can get away with you, you GD b**ch, why can't I"? Huh....WTH am I "getting away with, except some pain relief?

Whatever....just realize, it can happen in your household, too. Get a safe and lock those pills up. You never know, even with cleaning people, repair people, its just not a good idea to leave them accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
It's always good to warn parents to keep an eye on their drugs. I preferred to leave mine readily accessible to the household while keeping count. That way I would know if anyone started experimenting. I really kept on top of these. As a result, I can say confidently that I am certain my children never stole one pill. When they were older, they knew they could have one when necessary, and they'd just inform us afterwards. Even that happened very rarely. Prescription drugs are just not the drugs of choice for my children. Neither is alcohol. But if I smoked marijuana, I'd probably need a safe. lol

Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I guess tonight is just my night to vent-----here goes.

If you have any type of prescription drugs, especially controlled substances, lock them up. I mean, in a secure safe, not just a little lock box.

I have severe arthritis and must take pain killers, mostly Tylenol 3, some Vicodin. I have a safe and keep the vicodin locked up, but just wasn't as careful with the T3. I was appalled to find about 20 of them in my DS bedroom, hidden in a Pringles can. I confronted him and asked why, was he actually in pain? If so, I would be glad to take him to a doctor. If not, what was he doing, trying to sell them? I understand they don't have much of a street value. I've also explained to both my kids the dangers of too much Tylenol. Actually, the Tylenol is probably more dangerous than the codeine taken in excess doses.

He just said "if ou can get away with you, you GD b**ch, why can't I"? Huh....WTH am I "getting away with, except some pain relief?

Whatever....just realize, it can happen in your household, too. Get a safe and lock those pills up. You never know, even with cleaning people, repair people, its just not a good idea to leave them accessible.
No. Just NO!

If you have a child that has gotten to the point of stealing drugs...you need to know about it.

If you have a child with a known problem...than yes, there might be a reason to keep temptation out of their reach....but the real question is why you didn't notice it before this?

In a typical household....where parents actually pay attention to things...there is no reason to lock up drugs (todders and young children are a different set of circumstances).....but really.....a parent is just fooling themselves if they think putting prescriptions in a safe will stop anything.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Scarlet, Marylee isn't not guilty of having her head in the sand. She already knew her son had problems with drugs. Putting her prescription drugs in a safe will protect her prescription. Since doctors won't refill a narcotic prescription until the 30 days has lapsed, Marylee would have suffered in pain for a couple of weeks if she hadn't caught him before he used them or sold them. And it will protect her son from being an idiot ruining his liver taking too much Tylenol since Tylenol 3 isn't sold on the streets.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:41 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Something tells me the Tylenol 3 is not the real problem in this household.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Scarlet, Marylee isn't not guilty of having her head in the sand. She already knew her son had problems with drugs. Putting her prescription drugs in a safe will protect her prescription. Since doctors won't refill a narcotic prescription until the 30 days has lapsed, Marylee would have suffered in pain for a couple of weeks if she hadn't caught him before he used them or sold them. And it will protect her son from being an idiot ruining his liver taking too much Tylenol since Tylenol 3 isn't sold on the streets.
Hope, I think you have a head on your shoulders.....but this if a kid is stealing drugs on a regular basis....locking them up won't do a thing to solve the problem.

A parent needs to get to the root of the issue....locking up a script may (and this is no garentee) delay the issue from coming to a head for a time.....but if one has to lock up any prescription from any child older than a toddler or younger child....there are bigger problems.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-10-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 10:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Something tells me the Tylenol 3 is not the real problem in this household.
And you would be correct. Most families don't have to lock up prescription drugs to keep them out of the hands of their kids. I do agree with Scarlett that the person the drugs were meant for should be aware of the amount, and keep tabs, just to be safe.

I probably would advise keeping them close if one of my kids was diagnosed with depression, or anything that made me concerned for their mental health.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Most families don't have to lock up prescription drugs to keep them out of the hands of their kids.
How very self-righteous that sounds! Followed by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I probably would advise keeping them close if one of my kids was diagnosed with depression, or anything that made me concerned for their mental health.
Do your kids a favor and just lock the drugs up. Might be a great idea to lock up the liquor, too. I personally kept no alcohol in the house while the kids were growing up. I also drove a stick to prevent them from sneaking the car, cuz I knew they would.

Yes, if they want it they will get it from somewhere but they're not going to get it from me.

And you're right - acetaminophen will shut your liver down without taking all that much. Very dangerous. Don't ever give it to a dog!

A parent is a fool for thinking "not MY kid!"

Old 08-10-2014, 05:29 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
A kid I went high school with died earlier this year (spring) after relapsing and getting clean in over Christmas break.

Your kid has issues and locking up your pills won't make them go away. He'll just go out and buy them. And keep in mind, you may not always be getting what you want when going to a street drug dealer. Get your kid help...

Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
I'm with the crowd that says you don't have to lock away your prescription drugs. Unfortunately, that's not a good idea with some kids. In 32 years and after 4 kids, I can honestly say that we've probably only had prescription pain killers in our house less than 5 times....period. Always, ALWAYS... count those pills, often, even if you DO have them in a safe.

Also, please, PLEASE, when you bring a scrip into the house, regardless of what it is, inform your entire family of the possible side effects and dangers of taking it. Let them know that the ONLY reason that it's in the house, is that it was prescribed to THAT person. If it was not prescribed to YOU, it is illegal for you to take it and it could cause harm to those that it was not meant for. Heck, it's most likly harmful to the person it was prescribed for. Why share the danger?

Some of us know the issues you've had with the kids, OP and I can't, for the life of me, imagine you NOT locking up your prescriptions, given all the trouble you've gone through with them. Understand though, Marylee, that those kids are growing up with other kids who view prescription drugs as though they were recreational FUN candy. YOU know the dangers. They see YOU as someone who is regularly consuming tons of FUN candy and not sharing. They see YOU as someone who is using prescription pain killers to cope with a effed up world and things you can't control.

You can bet that boy had more than "getting high" as a motivation for stealing your pills. You are the enemy. You have some pills that make you feel better. Another motivation for taking your pills was to HARM you and put you in distress. You know this. This is your biggest problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting