Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,751,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You seriously need to get over the delusion that there are perfect parents.
We all do the best we can, and when we know better, we do better.

You complain about your issues, and paint all kids with the same brush. There ARE lots of good kids out there, and they should not be treated the same way you need to treat your kids.
I agree....it really gets old to be told all teens are horrible individuals and need to be on lock down just because some are having problems.

Most teens, while they all will make some mistakes, are not stealing their parents prescriptions and neither are their friends. I refuse to treat my teen and her friends like felons simply because they are teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,513,194 times
Oh, ok.....I was also going to suggest you keep your guns locked up, but guess that's only for the "bad" kids of the world, not necessary in those "perfect" households...............

Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Oh, and also, my apologies, guess this information is only applicable to those in Idaho

[vimeo]39164667[/vimeo]
Connect The Pieces PSA: Lock up your medications on Vimeo

Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I agree....it really gets old to be told all teens are horrible individuals and need to be on lock down just because some are having problems.

Most teens, while they all will make some mistakes, are not stealing their parents prescriptions and neither are their friends. I refuse to treat my teen and her friends like felons simply because they are teenagers.

Did I say to lock up drugs to keep them away from Teens? I believe I mentioned repair people, cleaning people, other adult guests.......I've had whole bottles of Vicodin stolen by moving companies.....ummmm....do you lock your car? Do you lock your home when away? So, aren't you treating others like "felons" because you are taking steps to reduce the risk of theft?

I was simply pointing out that certain prescription drugs have an attraction to others that we might not be aware of. Keeping them locked and out of others hands is just common sense. Oh, but because I've had "problems" with my kids I'm not in a position to give advice, just take it from others who have never had such problems. You of the "perfect parents raising perfect children" might just be surprised at what is actually going on right under your nose! Many aren't even aware its a potential problem. What's wrong with practicing some caution?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM

22,864 posts, read 48,204,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, ok.....I was also going to suggest you keep your guns locked up, but guess that's only for the "bad" kids of the world, not necessary in those "perfect" households...............
Quote:
You of the "perfect parents raising perfect children" might just be surprised at what is actually going on right under your nose!
Do you even read the replies?
There are no perfect parents!
There are no perfect children!
There are no perfect households!

There is no good reason for you to keep playing that card... does it make you feel better to say that over & over?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:

There is no good reason for you to keep playing that card... does it make you feel better to say that over & over?

Seems to me you're the one "playing the card". Not in my house, not with my kids, would never happen to me

I offer a suggestion, based on my experiences parenting, and you immediately jump on my case and tell me you don't need to hear such, because you've raised your kids "better". Well, guess I'm just not in your league

Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,471,813 times
Quote:
Seems to me you're the one "playing the card". Not in my house, not with my kids, would never happen to me

I offer a suggestion, based on my experiences parenting, and you immediately jump on my case and tell me you don't need to hear such, because you've raised your kids "better". Well, guess I'm just not in your league
Actually, if you refer back to your OP, you were venting about your child being disrespectful, swearing at you, and stealing your painkillers.

You added in a sentence about other people who might steal medications at the end of your post.

It is possible for people to have teens who aren't swearing at them or robbing them.

It's also possible to keep an eye on controlled substances, money, and other valuables without a safe.

I think the key here is just knowing where your valuables are and who has access to them.

Since none of my family members are cursing me out, stealing my belongings, or giving me reason to distrust them, I prefer not have to lock up my valuables.

If I was in the situation you described? I would.

I would not tolerate any of my kids swearing at me, though. That is just not appropriate.

Once they've been allowed to do it, they aren't going to quit unless they want to, so you're probably stuck with that problem until your child is 18.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,019,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
While I agree that locking up drugs is a good idea with an addict in the house, I think it's generally unnecessary and in households with kids who don't steal it could foster feelings of confusion.

Mine would wonder why I suddenly became paranoid if I locked up all the prescription meds and put a lock on the liquor cabinet. Or the wine cooler.

They just don't take things that are not theirs.

I attribute this to a combination of effective parenting and good genetic fortune. Truly.

My brother was a complete terror as a teen. All mine have been lovely so far. At 24, 16 (will be 17 this month) and 13, none have ever stolen from me. My 24yo doesn't even drink that often.
I think that kids are all different and parents need to act in a way that is appropriate for their own child. Like you, my kids do not take things that are not theirs. My liquor is in the dining room and is not locked up. My beer is in the drink fridge. My kids don't take it. They just don't. If I needed to lock it all up, I would do so. Some kids need that. The key is to know what your kids need.

Like you I attribute the fact that my kids aren't into stealing liquor/drugs to a combination of luck and good parenting. I suspect luck is a bigger contributor than parenting. Sometimes parents are just blessed with good kids. Sometimes parents have kids that are difficult despite their best efforts. By the time a kid is 17 you know what you have on your hands and should act appropriately for your child.

I suspect the OP's child has a drug problem. In that case she should be dealing with that. Part of dealing with it is making sure he does not have access to any tempting drugs. I feel for her. Substance abuse is difficult and can affect anyone even if that person had good parents while growing up.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM

22,864 posts, read 48,204,667 times
Quote:

LOL!

Here are my posts:
Quote:
This was our experience also.
Quote:
You seriously need to get over the delusion that there are perfect parents.
We all do the best we can, and when we know better, we do better.

You complain about your issues, and paint all kids with the same brush. There ARE lots of good kids out there, and they should not be treated the same way you need to treat your kids.
Quote:

No where do I say that I "don't need to hear such".
No where did I say I raised my kids "better".

All I said was no one is perfect, and that all kids are different.

You choose to see what you want to see... in your mind, everyone is better than you, perfect in fact. And that simply is not true - perfection does NOT exist in this world! Yet you persist in believing that...

Old 08-12-2014, 07:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,497,286 times
Quote:
You choose to see what you want to see... in your mind, everyone is better than you, perfect in fact. And that simply is not true - perfection does NOT exist in this world! Yet you persist in believing that...
Correction. She doesn't believe you're better than her. She believes you believe you're better than her. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting