Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,296 times

Advertisements

My son is just over a month old. His father comes from a rather wealthy family and he and his brothers had 2 full time nannies to take care of them.

However, I couldn't believe it when he suggested we should get one too so I don't have to deal with changing nappies or giving him a bath. I was puzzled. Like if I would ever trade those moments with my baby when I love changing his nappy, even the very poopy ones. I love playing with his hands and feet while I clean him.

I come from a normal middle class family and not used to any of that. We have a housekeeper but only twice a week. He wanted to have a full time housekeeper as well! I appreaciate her help but there's a few things I like to do myself and not have a stranger wondering around the house.

Do you think he doubts my mothering skills to want a nanny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 AM

550 posts, read 967,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperBabe View Post
You should ask him.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Quote:

No. I think he's just thinking about making your life together resemble his life as a child.

Just tell him what you told us. You're PARTNERS.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM

506 posts, read 327,279 times
Quote:
My son is just over a month old. His father comes from a rather wealthy family and he and his brothers had 2 full time nannies to take care of them.

However, I couldn't believe it when he suggested we should get one too so I don't have to deal with changing nappies or giving him a bath. I was puzzled. Like if I would ever trade those moments with my baby when I love changing his nappy, even the very poopy ones. I love playing with his hands and feet while I clean him.

I come from a normal middle class family and not used to any of that. We have a housekeeper but only twice a week. He wanted to have a full time housekeeper as well! I appreaciate her help but there's a few things I like to do myself and not have a stranger wondering around the house.

You may want to tell him that you enjoy what you are doing to take care of your son. Maybe he just doesn't see that.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,379,950 times
Honestly, this should have been a topic of conversation BEFORE having a child.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 6,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No. I think he's just thinking about making your life together resemble his life as a child.
His childhood is not something I would want for my son, he had an extreme lack of love and it has brought trouble to our relationship.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Quote:
His childhood is not something I would want for my son, he had an extreme lack of love and it has brought trouble to our relationship.
Ok. Tell HIM that.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Just tell him what you told us. You're PARTNERS.
When I was in college, I dated someone who came from a very wealthy background. Nannies, cooks, housekeepers, everything under the sun. I was absolutely shocked at how little he knew about everyday things. The biggest shocker was when I handed him an orange and he had absolutely no idea how to peel it. Apparently, he had always had "hired help" around to peel oranges for him.

I'm not saying that would happen if you had a full time nanny, but there are trade offs.

Discuss it with your husband. Perhaps having someone part time would allow you to catch up on your sleep and have some time for yourself and you would still have plenty of Baby Loving & Baby Bonding time.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 AM

15,812 posts, read 20,582,348 times
Quote:
he had an extreme lack of love and it has brought trouble to our relationship.
Possibly from being raised by someone who wasn't his parents?

I know several people who are nannies. From what ive heard from them, it's not a way I'd want to raise my child.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,507,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When I was in college, I dated someone who came from a very wealthy background. Nannies, cooks, housekeepers, everything under the sun. I was absolutely shocked at how little he knew about everyday things. The biggest shocker was when I handed him an orange and he had absolutely no idea how to peel it. Apparently, he had always had "hired help" around to peel oranges for him.

I'm not saying that would happen if you had a full time nanny, but there are trade offs.

Discuss it with your husband. Perhaps having someone part time would allow you to catch up on your sleep and have some time for yourself and you would still have plenty of Baby Loving & Baby Bonding time.
I grew up with a nanny at times, many of my friends had nannies, all of us can peel oranges and run our own lives just fine.

OP if you work full time and your partner wants to get a nanny to help it doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. Now if you're at home and you don't want the extra help then I understand. However, either way you are the mom and you get an equal voice in the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting