Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Our youngest (6) has glasses. She has now broken the 2 pairs she has.

1 pair was from Lenscrafters and she was in time out and got mad and threw them popping the glass out. (will they fix that?)
1 pair was from Zenni and she just brought them to me and the arm is broken.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

1 pair was from Lenscrafters and she was in time out and got mad and threw them popping the glass out. (will they fix that?)

Ask Lenscrafters. I got a guarantee with the ones I go there for my son. They replaced them for free. At our normal optometrist, we were there literally once every week or 2 for a year to have them adjusted or whatever. No more wire frames after that.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:

I have 6 year old twins with glasses They've had them for about 2 years now, and I've lost track of how many pairs had to be fixed or replaced. We bought the insurance! They're doing much better with them now though. No recent destruction.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Ask Lenscrafters. I got a guarantee with the ones I go there for my son. They replaced them for free. At our normal optometrist, we were there literally once every week or 2 for a year to have them adjusted or whatever. No more wire frames after that.
I will give them a call in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have 6 year old twins with glasses They've had them for about 2 years now, and I've lost track of how many pairs had to be fixed or replaced. We bought the insurance! They're doing much better with them now though. No recent destruction.
LOL. They should really warn parents when you get the eye exam that you will need to buy a couple extra pairs!

***ETA: i was able to pop the arm back on the Zenni pair but im still going to call LC!

Last edited by Ohky0815; 06-11-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Perhaps you should try the glasses that they use with preschoolers and young children with special needs. All plastic frames and there is a strap that is attached to the glasses so that they don't fall off.

I have to admit that they are not very stylish but are very sturdy. One parent of a former student used them as a backup pair because the daughter was so careless with her regular glasses and kept taking them off and sitting on them or stepping on them or losing them. They said that she needed to use the "backup pair" until they could afford to replace her other pair (two weeks or so). After a time or two she started to be much, much more careful with her glasses as she didn't like the back-up glasses. They also used that pair when they were camping, hiking, etc.

Maybe that wouldn't be the best for your child but in this case it worked out really well.

Another former student of mine constantly misplaced (actually he would hide the glasses) and the parents would tell him that he couldn't watch TV unless he was wearing his glasses. Sometimes it would be overnight or a day or two for him to "find" his glasses but usually they "miraculously appeared" within minutes of when he wanted to watch TV. Luckily, this only went on for about a year.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Perhaps you should try the glasses that they use with preschoolers and young children with special needs. All plastic frames and there is a strap that is attached to the glasses so that they don't fall off.

I have to admit that they are not very stylish but are very sturdy. One parent of a former student used them as a backup pair because the daughter was so careless with her regular glasses and kept taking them off and sitting on them or stepping on them or losing them. They said that she needed to use the "backup pair" until they could afford to replace her other pair (two weeks or so). After a time or two she started to be much, much more careful with her glasses as she didn't like the back-up glasses. They also used that pair when they were camping, hiking, etc.

Maybe that wouldn't be the best for your child but in this case it worked out really well.

Another former student of mine constantly misplaced (actually he would hide the glasses) and the parents would tell him that he couldn't watch TV unless he was wearing his glasses. Sometimes it would be overnight or a day or two for him to "find" his glasses but usually they "miraculously appeared" within minutes of when he wanted to watch TV. Luckily, this only went on for about a year.
I laughed at sitting on them. Id be so mad. The strap is an option. She doesnt have a problem wearing them, its just taking care of them thats the problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
My just turned 12 year old has worn glasses since she was 5. The first year or two she sat on them, chewed on them, popped out the lens herself just from fiddling with them. We wisely bought an extra pain every year and recycled the frames when the rx changed. Our biggest problem is her reluctance to let us wash them every morning while she eats breakfast. I refuse to send a kid to school with yucky glasses. It amazes me she can see through them they get so nasty. Lenscrafters want your repeat business and they like every optician I have ever visited will do minor repairs for free. even if you haven't bought them there. If it is just a matter of popping the lens back it they can do that very quickly.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My just turned 12 year old has worn glasses since she was 5. The first year or two she sat on them, chewed on them, popped out the lens herself just from fiddling with them. We wisely bought an extra pain every year and recycled the frames when the rx changed. Our biggest problem is her reluctance to let us wash them every morning while she eats breakfast. I refuse to send a kid to school with yucky glasses. It amazes me she can see through them they get so nasty. Lenscrafters want your repeat business and they like every optician I have ever visited will do minor repairs for free. even if you haven't bought them there. If it is just a matter of popping the lens back it they can do that very quickly.
I agree- i know my daughters have so much gunk and prints.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:19 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I laughed at sitting on them. Id be so mad.
I'd be more mad that she threw them!

Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:

Quote:
I laughed at sitting on them. Id be so mad. The strap is an option. She doesnt have a problem wearing them, its just taking care of them thats the problem.

Frankly, getting mad and throwing your glasses is more just "not taking care of them".

I had another parent handle their son's deliberate & careless breaking of his glasses in a different way. The first month of school as a first grader he broke four pairs of glasses. I personally disagreed with they handled it but it did greatly slow down how often he threw his glasses on the ground/floor and out the window of the car. After the fourth pair was broken they told him that the only way that they could afford another pair of glasses was to save all of their extra money (which actually was the case). That first night he asked to go to McDonald's and they said, "Sorry, we have to save all of our extra money to buy you new glasses" and put the money that they could of spent at McDonalds in a see through jar on the counter. When he asked for a new toy or to go to the movies or things like that they would say "I'm sorry, but we need to save our money to buy new glasses." and put more money in the jar.

They didn't make a big deal about it but would just respond the same way when he asked for something extra. After several weeks they took the jar of money to the glasses place (I think that they just added money to make sure that it equaled the correct amount) and bought his new glasses. His next glasses lasted about a month before he broke them and they did the same thing for a second time. I believe that his next pair of glasses lasted a full year.

Again, this was very successful with this child because he connected being rough and careless with his glasses with missing out on McDonalds, movies, new toys and extra treats. Perhaps, it would be a real disaster with a different child or if the parents had been mean about it rather than just matter of fact.

Just one more idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting