Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

I see no section for eye care. So, shall just steal a corner here. I was told something this morning that I'd like to confirm if anyone else has had the experience. I'd mentioned to the young woman at the cash register in the drug store that sun glasses were totally useless when the sun is directly in my face. She agreed and said that's why she never wears them. However, she had a story to tell along with that. She says her mother did this and has had no more problems with sun glasses causing glare.

If you wear prescription glasses, you take the sun glasses to your optometrist and ask her to put the prescription in the sun glasses. That, she said, solves the problem. Her mother is a happy camper with her prescription sun glasses.

Has anyone else heard of this or know anyone who has done it? The sun glasses alone cost me a small fortune. I don't want to spend more getting the Rx put into them if it isn't going to work and I have to then buy new glasses.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
We have sunglasses that are prescription made. You take your doctors prescription to the place that makes the eyeglasses and have them make a pair of sunglasses to fit your frames.
If you have drugstore non prescriptive sunglasses and want to us those frames you usually can, but the glasses that are already in them cannot be used for the prescription. They have to grind a new set of lenses for you. The optomistrist can tell you if you can or cannot use what you have.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We have sunglasses that are prescription made. You take your doctors prescription to the place that makes the eyeglasses and have them make a pair of sunglasses to fit your frames.
If you have drugstore non prescriptive sunglasses and want to us those frames you usually can, but the glasses that are already in them cannot be used for the prescription. They have to grind a new set of lenses for you. The optomistrist can tell you if you can or cannot use what you have.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I wondered. How they could take ready-made sun glasses and add Rx's to them was a mystery. No, I don't buy drug store sun glasses. I don't know how to describe what I have but they cost me $50, clip onto my eyeglasses, and are no better as far as glare is concerned. I imagine they have better protection. At least my optometrist says so and I trust her. But, for glare, no.

So, back to the original question. If the optometrist orders prescription sun glasses for me, will that glare disappear? This is what the young woman was saying - that her mother no longer has that glare with prescription sun glasses. Of course, from what you say (and I believe), she was wrong about how they are made. So, how about the rest?

Thank you for helping.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
I have never heard of glare being 100% eliminated from the sun, if it was you wouldn't be able to see out of the glasses. Sunglasses help cut down on the glare and help prevent UV rays from damaging your eyes.
Your questions would probably be best answered by and opthamologist at best.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I have never heard of glare being 100% eliminated from the sun, if it was you wouldn't be able to see out of the glasses. Sunglasses help cut down on the glare and help prevent UV rays from damaging your eyes.
Your questions would probably be best answered by and opthamologist at best.
No doubt, true, but I wanted to see if I'd find anyone who had tried it. Sometimes, the experience of the general public can be enlightening. I'll say this. When you pay $50 for a pair of good (you hope) sun glasses and find yourself walking blind in them - at certain times of day anyway - you do wonder why you bought them. And when you find yourself removing them long enough to check for traffic before crossing a busy street -- well?

I think the verdict about prescription sun glasses is 'don't try this'. Just stick with the good clip-ons and get along as well as possible. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
1. You can get prescription sunglasses, you don't need to buy sunglasses in one place, have the lenses removed, and have prescription lenses put in. You just get the sunglasses made with prescription, and the frame.

2. Blu-blockers really do eliminate glare. There are a few brands of the same general thing, AmberVision is another popular brand. I don't know if they accommodate prescriptive lenses or not, but their regular non-prescription sunglasses are amazing. And dirt-cheap (plastic frames, and what I believe are acrylic lenses that have the color built into them, not coating them like polarized glasses are). I've been using one or another brand of this type of sunglasses for over a decade.

3. Polarized lenses can reduce glare dramatically, but they don't eliminate it. Regardless, you can get polarized prescription glasses.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
3. Polarized lenses can reduce glare dramatically, but they don't eliminate it. Regardless, you can get polarized prescription glasses.
An enthusiastic +1 to the glare reduction. For me at least, polarized prescription sunglasses have another, rather surprising benefit that seems to be unrelated to glare-reduction -- they sharpen my distance vision dramatically! When wearing them I now - almost literally - have 'eagle eyes'. I can see/identify things that others simply cannot, even if they have 20/20 vision.

I'd like to be able to order polarized "regular" glasses, but have so far been stymied. I know they make the lens blanks, but none of the optometrists I've queried can get them.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-18-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
An enthusiastic +1 to the glare reduction. For me at least, polarized prescription sunglasses have another, rather surprising benefit -- they sharpen my distance vision dramatically! When wearing them I now - almost literally - have 'eagle eyes'. I can see/identify things that others simply cannot, even if they have 20/20 vision.

I'd like to be able to order polarized "regular" glasses, but have so far been stymied. I know they make the lens blanks, but none of the optometrists I've queried can get them.
How about the optical shops? They are the ones who should be able to get them, if anybody can. I don't know about all the optometrists but the ones I've had send the prescriptions to optical shops to be ground anyway.

As for me, if I buy the sunglass separately, they have to be clip-ons. With prescription glasses you cannot just set an additional full frame sunglasses atop those. I'll talk with the optometrist when I next see her. Meanwhile, only asking what experiences people have had. I wouldn't mind the expense if I knew they'd work as I walk some very busy streets. But, buying them and finding they don't work --- you know. Glasses are not cheap.

Glad to see they've worked for some people. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
But, buying them and finding they don't work --- you know. Glasses are not cheap.

Glad to see they've worked for some people. Thanks.
Speaking only for me, the challenge comes when moving often from outdoors to indoors, etc. Switching back and forth between regular glasses and prescription sunglasses, plus having a convenient & secure place to stash the ones you're not wearing, can be problematic. I know they make lenses that darken as the light grows brighter, but they don't get as dark as I need.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Speaking only for me, the challenge comes when moving often from outdoors to indoors, etc. Switching back and forth between regular glasses and prescription sunglasses, plus having a convenient & secure place to stash the ones you're not wearing, can be problematic. I know they make lenses that darken as the light grows brighter, but they don't get as dark as I need.
You are right about the inconvenience of handling two pair. I've had friends who think they want those that darken as you go out and fade when you come in but they were disappointed. One friend said it takes too long and she has to stand still waiting for the change. Then, as you said, they don't get dark enough for a long stay outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine