Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times

Advertisements

My friend's son has special needs and has worn glasses since he was a baby. He is always losing or breaking them though. She told me that she used to get upset because glasses were so expensive, but now she just buys a whole bunch of pairs from Zenni and they are super cheap, like under $10 each. Now she doesn't sweat it if she needs to replace his glasses. She has a whole stash of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Is zeni cheaper than eyesbuydirect?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Is zeni cheaper than eyesbuydirect?
I chose Zenni because they are cheap and had good customer service. I dont know about the other place. The problem is that you cant try on anything before you buy. Only 1 time did i end up buying an ugly pair.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Love the McDonald's idea. I started wearing glasses at age and never lost or broke a pair. My daughter,OTOH, at age 11, first pair dumped in the garbage off her lunch tray. The next pair were in her purse (not on her face where they belonged) which she swung around in circles, let go, and a car ran over them. I made her pay for the next pair herself, out of her savings account. No more lost or destroyed glasses��
I started wearing glasses at the beginning of the fourth grade. They were ugly, blue plastic, cat eye frames that I HATED. I didn't mind wearing them and being able to see, the style was just so ugly though. Well I wore those glasses every day - with an eye patch over my good eye, because I have a lazy eye - until the end of 4th grade.

I wasn't teased about my glasses, just the patch. Most people thought cat eye glasses were the cat's pajamas.

I, too, threw my glasses away with my lunch trash... only mine were in my lunch bag and I tossed the bag in the garbage. I even ran down to the incinerator to see if the janitor had burnt the trash yet, and he had.

I don't remember getting in any trouble for losing them... unless you consider the fact that my parents decided I didn't need glasses to see anyway. I finally bought myself another pair when I was in high school and making my own money.

I lost that pair at the mall - the day I went into labor with my son. In my excitement I set them down somewhere and lost them forever.

Never got another pair, just need reading glasses now.

I think most kids eventually learn to take care of their glasses.

I never had a second chance.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Get contact lenses for the kid ASAP. I think I started wearing them at age 10 or 11 and have never looked back. Much more convenient than glasses for sports and activities.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Get contact lenses for the kid ASAP. I think I started wearing them at age 10 or 11 and have never looked back. Much more convenient than glasses for sports and activities.
The OP's child is 6. That's a little young for contacts.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:17 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
My son started wearing glasses at age 15 months. He's 5 now. I made sure to shop at a store that offered a one-year warranty on frames (here, it is Texas State Optical). They knew us by name because we were in every other week to get the lens put back in, the arm screwed back on, etc. We go through 2 pairs a year.

Every instance of the glasses being broken were either a) an accident, he's an active kid or b) another child broke them at day care (I instructed day care to tell his parents that they would pay for the next pair their kid broke).

My child gets an immediate time out if he leaves his glasses on the floor or the couch. He gets an immediate punishment if he throws them. Take care of your glasses or get in trouble. It helps that he has me for an example of how to properly care for them.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
My son has had glasses for 2 years now and we have never replaced them due to breakage. We bought the flex-frame kind. Good for kids who are careless with their things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting