Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,155,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
He is going to shake his fist and talk about the "good old days" when children were seen and not heard. Then go on a 75 minute diatribe one how he hopped to school in 10 ft of snow wearing cardboard sneakers .
Up Hill, Both Ways .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,395,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It's not that I don't understand it but he gave all that info then tried to present it as simply a daddy-daughter bonding time....And even difficult children have feelings. "We need a vacation without you so we can enjoy ourselves" is just not very nice.
Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling that the OP is just trying to justify doing it by saying it's for Father/Daughter bonding time.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,178,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Actually from what I read he really wants everyone buy his son to come due to the constant stress of his ADD.
Oh yes, I realize that is the real reason. But in his first post, the OP said that he would love for his son to come, but the room would only fit him, his wife, and the two daughters (as if Disney wouldn't accommodate a family of 5 with a roll away bed). It just seems mean spirited to say that the whole family wants a vacation away from this 7 year old boy.

If the dad wants a real vacation with the daughters, then take them somewhere for the weekend where they can actually spend time together and do the shopping and going out to eat that the father says he wants to do. Taking them to a conference where the dad is going to be gone till 5pm each day isn't a whole lot of bonding time for the three.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,155,195 times
8+ hour drive each way

Each night... To Do stuff.

Girls get to Hang by the pool,

The such a thing as to much Family Time...

Old 06-11-2014, 02:40 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,550,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
8+ hour drive each way

Each night... To Do stuff.

Girls get to Hang by the pool,

The such a thing as to much Family Time...
The girls must get along VERY well.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:46 PM

513 posts, read 806,050 times
Freshman year of high school I went to Orlando for nationals (rowing). I went by myself but was with groups of people. My friends family who went were supposed to "chaperone" but I bounced around between different people. Opening ceremony was at Animal kingdom and closing ceremony was at Sea world. They closed both parks for all of us. My friends family left after it was over but I stayed another two days with a different family. We went to Disney and had a ball. Even though I wasn't being watched 24/7, we were all behaved. No drinking. No crazy stuff. Then the next summer I saved up and went to Europe for a month. It was chaperoned but only three adults for 20+ kids. Again, had a great time, but didn't do anything "bad". It was actually clean fun.

You know your kids. If you trust them, then trust yourself. The only thing I see is how your son would react to being "left behind". But maybe you can say this was for the girls. Then schedule something for Just you and him later in the summer. I don't know where you are from but maybe a close by amusement park for the day, the beach, fishing, etc. Just something so he doesn't feel "left out".

Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,731,197 times
NOT take a 7 year old to Disney? Ouch. I'm sorry, but even though he may be a handful, this seems to be deliberately excluding him from what most kids would consider Kid Heaven. You think he teases them NOW? Wait until they get to go to Disney and he doesn't -- that teasing will turn into out-and-out warfare.

I'd only endorse this idea if Mommy and Son were doing a special trip on THEIR own, someplace that would be the equivalent of Disney -- maybe he would love a couple of days in New York City, go see a play, some fun museums, a baseball game, etc. Or maybe a three or four day cruise on a family-friendly ship. Shipping him off to Grandma so the rest of you can play seems pretty cowardly, to me.

Are you staying in the same hotel where your conference/class is? Otherwise, I would NOT be comfortable leaving the girls alone all day long, and I'd probably make a point to join them for lunch. Remember, hotel pools are seldom life-guarded -- sending a 12 year old to an unsupervised pool all day seems to be dicey proposition at best.

Another option would be for everyone to go, but split up during the day -- mom and son go to Epcot while the girls go to Disney. Next day, Mom and son go to Universal, girls go the water park . . . that way, there is a sense of family, everyone has fun, but in the evening, you come together as a family.

I dunno -- I just couldn't do it. Your mileage may differ.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,682,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I don't know how difficult it is with your 7 year old son with ADHD but if I were him, I would not forgive you for not taking me to Disney World when you are taking the sisters.
Perhaps Mom can take him on a special mother-son getaway at the same time. My nephew would rather go to Legoland than Disney any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting