Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,490,221 times

Advertisements

When I was 12, my parents enrolled me in a class/camp at Disney World. It was a group of kids, supervised by Disney staff, that go to go do various behind-the-scenes activity. It was very, very cool, and it didn't require me to be with my parents. Perhaps you could look into something like that for the girls while you are busy at the conference (if the hours allow you to do that)? Then you can honestly tell your son that they did things that 7-year-olds are not allowed to do, and no one has to worry about the girls being alone for an extended time.

I can tell you that as a hotel guest, one of my pet peeves is unsupervised young teenagers misbehaving or just being loud or otherwise inconsiderate...because they are kids, and they don't think of everyone else's needs. You know your girls better to know if they will likely fall in that category or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
Oh, some posters need to just stop projecting their own misbehavior onto the OP's daughters. If he was worried about them acting out, he wouldn't be considering the trip.

Go dad, and know that one mother, with equally terrific memories of her own special time with her father ( I was one of 7, and they weren't frequent, which made them all the more wonderful) applauds you.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times
I can't get past the part about leaving 1 kid home and taking 2 to Disney. Sorry, but I find that to be pretty mean.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:32 PM

426 posts, read 792,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I can tell you that as a hotel guest, one of my pet peeves is unsupervised young teenagers misbehaving or just being loud or otherwise inconsiderate...because they are kids, and they don't think of everyone else's needs. You know your girls better to know if they will likely fall in that category or not.
IMO children misbehave even when the adults are present, and the adults/parents still do nothing about it.

OP: I think this is awesome, that you want to spend time with your daughters. I hope that your wife will trust in you that "that nothing bad will happen," because lets be realistic, something bad could happen whether it is at Disney or down the street from your house.

Last edited by Carrie2979; 06-05-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,821,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Oh, some posters need to just stop projecting their own misbehavior onto the OP's daughters. If he was worried about them acting out, he wouldn't be considering the trip.
Assuming a lot, aren't you? Then you must not know how teens in general are. Short memory there. Maybe mom is worrisome for a reason.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-09-2014 at 01:37 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
My wife is not a big traveler and has anxiety being around lots of people, so we don't get to go to a lot of places, but have been to Disney World twice.

I would also love to just spend a couple days with my girls because they are growing up so fast, and both were honor students this past school year. So some time away from brother would be a treat for them. They can hang out at the pools, go shopping, etc... Just relax...be girls.

I suggested that maybe she can stay home and I'll just take the girls. It would be our first dad-daughter trip.

I felt the girls are mature enough to just hang out at the pool or stay in the resort, then after I get out of class, I would take them to dinner and go exploring Disney, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Assuming a lot, aren't you? Then you must not know how teens in general are. Short memory there. Maybe mom is worrisome for a reason.
I'm not assuming anything. I am going by the OP's post. I believe you, on the other hand, don't even have teens. I've raised three. Teens in general are great, especially when their parents expect the best of them.

Edited to add, the Disney properties, especially the higher end ones, are extremely well staffed. These girls will be safer than they likely would be at a town pool.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-09-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,821,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not assuming anything. I am going by the OP's post. I believe you, on the other hand, don't even have teens. I've raised three. Teens in general are great, especially when their parents expect the best of them.

Edited to add, the Disney properties, especially the higher end ones, are extremely well staffed. These girls will be safer than they likely would be at a town pool.
I don't have to have teens to know what general teen behavior is. It's common sense. You don't get any special knowledge or wisdom when having a kid. Doesn't matter that you raised 3 of them. I see you're a bit naive about teens when parents aren't around, even when "the best is expected of them." Considering you don't know these two, I'm surprised you don't have an alarm going off in your head telling you it's not a good idea to leave them alone for all that time.

And as far as Disney properties go, dad never did state if he had any particular plans for them while he was working. Sounds like they'll be left on their own. Still, a bad idea. I have to wonder why he has to go to Disney to spend time with his kids when he'll be working... like any other day at home.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-09-2014 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I don't have to have teens to know what general teen behavior is. It's common sense. You don't get any special knowledge or wisdom when having a kid. Doesn't matter that you raised 3 of them. I see you're a bit naive about teens when parents aren't around, even when "the best is expected of them." Considering you don't know these two, I'm surprised you don't have an alarm going off in your head telling you it's not a good idea to leave them alone for all that time.

And as far as Disney properties go, dad never did state if he had any particular plans for them while he was working. Sounds like they'll be left on their own. Still, a bad idea. I have to wonder why he has to go to Disney to spend time with his kids when he'll be working... like any other day at home.
Experience trumps hearsay.

The father said nothing to indicate he was worried about how his daughters would behave. Only those who expect the worst of teens have brought it up. I"m sure the girls will have a great time hanging at the pool during the day, and spending the evenings with their father.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-09-2014 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
first of all, you sound like a great husband and dad- not the norm nowadays with over a 50% divorce rate,
so kudos to you

Id take the girls, and enjoy yourself,

you've already said you have a very close relationship with your son,,,,and do more with him, so he already gets much more time than your daughters..

go ahead with your plans,

do something special with your son , he will be fine

this will give him 0ne on one time with his grandmother too

Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,430,239 times
I think the girls w/b fine safety-wise but I have to agree w/ those who said taking 2 and leaving 1 - especially a 7 yo who is probably really into Disney - isnt a good idea. My own children w/h/b pretty darn jealous if that scenario played out in our house as would I have been if my parents did that when I was a child growing up. I know the plan is not to tell him but things happen and it'll likely eventually slip out and w/o being overly dramatic, that can create all sorts of problems, it's not like the 2 older girls are just going to a movie and out to eat, they're going to Disney for a whole week, what kid wouldnt enjoy that, esp. a 7 yo. If the 2 girls do go (as sounds like will happen), Mom (or Grandma) better plan something pretty darn fun equivalent to that for the 7 yo for the whole week (if the 7 yo was in sleep-away camp, it might be a different matter but to see his sisters leave and come back, I think it w/b hurtful).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting